By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ed Duffner

Here is a list of all the postings Ed Duffner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Meths, steam train set availability?
10/11/2022 12:23:53

Many thanks Brian, we'll investigate those links.

Best regards.

10/11/2022 11:10:30

Hello to all,

I had a question from a chap at work and I wonder if I might ask for your advice please.

So, his wife has memories from childhood of a meths powered steam train running on a small circle or oval of track. He's trying to source a train set for her as a christmas present.

Can anyone suggest somewhere to buy such a set if still available? I don't think the engine needs to be anything specific but the lady originates from Manchester so perhaps an LMS or MR set.

Thanks, Ed.

Thread: How on earth do you make a Fire Hose
11/09/2022 10:24:57

Looks a lot like heat resistant sleeving used on electric wiring. Here's a link to Google images to show examples

Ed.

Thread: Drawing a saw blade - help!
28/08/2022 18:35:30

Can you select a set of points which form the profile of a tooth and move/rotate the those points in or out of the arc of the blade face?

Thread: Lighting advice
28/08/2022 18:28:32

My shed is 9ft x 7ft. I have two 4ft single-width LED lights mounted across the short span. My walls and ceiling are concrete and painted white which makes for a very bright environment (to my eyes). The ceiling is quite low.

In your size workshop I would probably install 3x 6ft lights, single width across the short span if mounted directly to a ceiling. If you have a high ceiling or roof it might pay to later add some reflectors to the light fittings if available and compatible.

Ed.

Thread: Domestic fan speeds.
11/08/2022 18:29:19

I can recommend a fan I purchased recently from Amazon, just before the first heatwave. It's virtually silent on the lowest speed setting and was very welcome through those 'hot nights'.

It was aound £70 but worth it I think. It oscillates left and right and also upward and back to level, all at the same time if desired. The icing on the cake is a remote control. I won't post a link as it may break the site rules but if interested, look for Iris Ohyama on Amazon.

Ed.

Thread: Help: Cordless angle grinder keeps shutting down?
13/06/2022 19:15:19

If it's recently new, Lidl, Aldi and similar shops tend to have quite generous warranties, possibly 3 years. I'd be tempted to take it back if this is the case.

If it does exactly! the same pattern of starting, then cutting out every time, I'd say it's more a controller fault (if it has one). Parts for Parkside tools don't seem to be readily available.

If intermittent or the run/stop action is not exactly the same very time, then as others have said, check the brushes and holders.

If it has a wound field coil, check where the ends of the coils are terminated into spade connectors. These enamelled wires can sometimes burn out but may still appear to be connected. Not always obvious.

If it has a permanent magnet field, check that the magnets are secured to their outer sleeve, they sometimes become loose.

Also check the battery connector has good connections, no loose spades or broken solder joints inside heat-shrink.

Ed.

Thread: New contact details and subscription pages
13/06/2022 18:45:57

My MEW online mag is no longer visible on this web site. When I click on the Magazines link in the top menu I get just a blank page except for the top and right-side menus and ad's. I may have missed previous announcements about Mortons.

Ed.

Thread: Looking at a new resin 3D printer
13/06/2022 18:11:18

I currently have an Elegoo Mars which has smaller than your specified build volume but it works quite well. I've been looking at getting a bigger printer as well.

The Elegoo Saturn matches your print volume: 192 x 120 x 200 mm. Depends what your budget is I suppose.

...and there's also the Elegoo Jupiter, larger again (277.848mm(L)*156.06mm(W)*300mm(H)) if you can find one for sale. I believe these are on some kind of pre-order status.

I'm not linked with Elegoo in any way.

Ed.

Thread: Change of direct debit for MEW?
13/06/2022 15:07:38

Ok, thank you chaps. I tend to be overly cautious these days with all the scams going on. I did have a quick scan of the recent posts on this forum, thinking there may have been heads up from MTM about the change over, maybe there was and I missed it. Tbh I haven't been that active here of late.

Cheers,

Ed.

13/06/2022 13:07:04

Hi guys,

I just received an email saying that MEW has changed hands from My Time Media to Mortons Media Group and my direct debit will be transferred, or words to that effect. Is this legit?

Thanks,

Ed.

Thread: How to display an 80 character line length on my Android phone
07/06/2022 13:19:33

Hi Greensands, which program, with the 40 char wide limit, are you currently using to view the code?

Ed.

Thread: Thread-cutting oil
03/04/2022 16:14:12

There is also a WD-40 cutting oil in a spray can for steels and titanium.

Ed.

Thread: How to keep Paint Fresh?
29/01/2022 15:27:57

Try googling "collapsible chemical container".

Regards,
Ed.

Thread: Kindness to Brush Motor Control Board
03/01/2022 21:33:41

Hi Andy,

I have a WM180 and never had a problem with the control board in 7 years of use. I usually switch on, then adjust speed as necessary.

Ed.

Thread: Motor Gland
16/11/2021 23:19:48

Looking closely at the lower photo, the thread appears to be Ø16mm. A vernier or digital caliper could confirm this allowing for the thread size minus the thread depths and as Simon suggested, measuring the thread with a thread gauge would help.

There are plenty of cable glands on the RS Components web site of 16mm ...and other sizes of course.

Alternatively it might be worth making enquiries with brook-crompton-parkinson-motors.

Regards,
Ed.

Thread: Compressor Problem!
17/10/2021 00:45:44

Hello Dave,

- Check for any water in the tank and drain it if necessary.

- Check the motor and crank bearings for any binding. Probably not a five minute job.

Regards,
Ed.

Thread: Drill powered nibblers - buying advice sought.
02/08/2021 17:57:59

With regard to nibblers specifically and having repaired several Makita's in my day job, I wouldn't choose to buy one myself. The motor ingests the crescents and there goes the motor.

The replacement parts are also very expensive, at least for Makita. Registering for a longer warranty, if available, is definitely a recommendation.

Ed.

01/08/2021 00:16:52

Hi Robin, what radius cuts do you need to make? I cut a 90mm diameter hole the other day in some 3mm steel plate with a jigsaw and filed to finished size.

Ed.

Thread: Windows for the scrap bin?
18/03/2021 18:58:27

I spent an hour this morning looking at why the latest (March 2021) Windows 10 update causes our PC's at work to flash when the start button menu is selected.

Eventually figured out that transparency in the display settings was the culprit. Disabling it has restored the PC's to a usable state and they're even a little faster in use, as would be expected.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 18/03/2021 18:58:49

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate