By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nathan Sharpe

Here is a list of all the postings Nathan Sharpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help please Windows 10
16/06/2017 21:16:10

Can anyone help please? I'm a pump engineer NOT a computer geek so please do not doing a comparison between operating systems. I run my pc and her laptop on Win 10. My pc will no longer allow right click actions to take place , her laptop will. I have tried button priority with no positive result , I can see restore points but cannot reach them because they require RIGHT click. I am unable to use right for any action in any saved document or photo. I cannot even read the file exif data (photos). Can any of you help? Please. Nathan.

Thread: Telescope project
11/06/2017 22:28:01

Sorry Stuart, not enough info for something that impressive ! Could your "happy astronomer" inform us please? Nathan.

Thread: CO2 Mig welding bottle
07/06/2017 22:21:32

Hello again Brian, have you considered the BOC/Volkszone deal? Initial cost 2016 was £82.50 and this years invoice was rental only at £54.00. Refill cost is around £35 for a Y sized bottle. Nathan.

07/06/2017 22:10:24

Hi Brian, I don't know who in your area but most local/small/family run fire extinguisher service firms are worth phoning. They tend to decant/refill the extinguisher charge bottles themselves and (round here ) are happy to recharge after test or if the cylinder is still within it's test date. I used to use pub gas and had no problems with refilling. Nathan.

Thread: Citroen and his gears
01/06/2017 23:36:16

My best try is a two part rim/tyre construction pinned together and also fairly flimsy when looking at a collapsed tooth on the third gear from the left (foreground cluster) above centre line. Nathan.

Thread: Continuous use of a phase convertor.
15/05/2017 23:10:39

Evening all, I finally have the time to report on my end result. Our suppliers visited site, looked at what we had installed, laughed and went away. Now , nearly six weeks after their visit, a design arrived with their quote, for exactly what we had already installed! They even use the same inverters as us with external controls connected in the same way. We decided to decline their offer to build and install by the end of June and were horrified by the cost which was greater than 4 times our cost for a now working system. The inverters seem to have had component issues which are now solved , we were sent 2 FOC to fit and had our originals repaired, again FOC. Nathan.

Thread: Cubital tunnel sydrome or ulna nerve entrapment
07/05/2017 21:31:47

I've had it for about 20 years. When I attended my hospital referral I had the electrical tests to determine the area before seeing the surgeon . After having the risks of A) severing the nerve- 20%, B) causing further non nerve problems like loss of elbow mobility - 20% , C) partial cure- 35%, I decided not to go ahead with the operation. My numbness changes depending on both useage and temperature, leaning on my elbow makes it worse and being hit on the "funny bone" is not funny ! I can still play guitar and form chords/select notes/pull off etc but with reduced strength , I'm right handed and my problem is my left ulna nerve. Keep it warm, try exercise and use NSAIDs such as Ibuprophen and try not to use the arm rest when driving. In the workshop I have very few problems with it. Nathan. PS. if you have or have had heart probs and you are taking long term medication, check with your GP before self medicating with NSAIDs.

Thread: Making work equipment.
31/03/2017 21:43:01

Joshua, yes these were large bore suction hoses up to 6" dia . For the 12" and 24" hoses the Bendix units were doubled up . We used to check the pump "suction" with a vacuum gauge fitted to a drilled through nrv ball of the correct diameter, pumps were deemed ok for hire at 20/25 ft vac. Nathan.

Thread: Tools you Treasure
30/03/2017 20:49:19

Clogs , I know what that feels like. My old man left it all to my half sisters father (house included) to look after his daughter after my Dad died. My old man raised her as his own after mother died . Her father put her in "care" and sold it all , went on the p--s and forgot about her. We , all three children, knew nothing about varying parentage until 1996 when we met up for the first time in 25 years when she noted a difference. When our mother died my (full) sister and I went into"care" because of fathers age , youngest (half) sister remained with her father (living with us) and my father. When she found out she went on the "p--s" also , on his grave. Nathan.

Thread: Making work equipment.
30/03/2017 20:30:25

To the best of my knowledge Godwin pumps used (and probably still do if Godwins still exist) a venturi air extraction/vaccum pump on their engine driven centrifugal pumps to evacuate air within suction pipework. This was driven by a standard Bendix 2cyl compressor into a jet at 90 deg from a similar jet on the suction hose side , the air was ejected via a shaped nozzle at 90 deg from the suction nozzle. These were not CE marked as an individual component/system (circa 2003 ) but CE compliance may have been due to the whole pumpset being CE compliant. If I remember correctly all items were standard Bendix part no's. We had a leachate Eductor system as part of the hire fleet (SLD pumps) which used the same system. Nathan.

Thread: Continuous use of a phase convertor.
30/03/2017 19:59:43

Evening all. Mark, I wish we could go that way but the cost would be prohibitive! Like Muzzer ,I prefer one VFD/machine. I do normally have to share the control circuit via a "flip/flop" or switching relay and yes all circuits are debounced. The currently faulty inverter has been sent back to the manufacturer for testing and repair/full report. We will continue to support this manufacturer because of their support system. The system is working as designed but on one pump. We have asked another of our suppliers if they could supply a standard panel with phase conversion built in and their answer was "We do it all the time " , so a site visit has been arranged and I will await their design with bated breath ! They tell us that their solution fits within an existing panel (Theirs) alongside of the standard control gear, I will report back to you all if this is something which could be a legit solution for my problem and,I suspect, many problems suffered by others on here who need a non inverter 3ph supply. Nathan.

26/03/2017 22:26:10

An edit to my previous post. We design and install inverter driven water pumping stations where I can give more info via pressure/flow/level sensors to the inverter to prepare it for a start and to allow it to monitor these parameters and therefore deal with them before a sensor driven stop. With sewage being pumped into a" public" sewer we are pumping into an open ended pipe so we do not have the gradual increase in pressure to work with, flowmeters cease to read even with Magflow units and ultrasonic level controls are thrown into disarray because of the very "splashy" flow into most private sewage wet wells. We rely on float switches, a coarse on/off action, which could happen and does happen to the upper float quite a few times before a positive on switching is achieved. We do loads of sewage work ( the majority of our work) but prefer a standard DOL/Star Delta system for both single and three phase stations. This particular job has no 3ph supply available but my boss has specified 3ph pumps to the client. Nathan.

26/03/2017 22:03:10

Thank you all for your input. The inverters we are using ( Invertek Optidrive e3) are correctly configured and we are using our control circuit on the correct IP/OP terminals. They are British made and have a specific parameter set for pumps. My question was answered by both Martin P and Scrumpy after that I lost interest. I did ask that you did not tell me about inverters, I know about inverters, we install 35/40 inverter driven systems each year but they have not been reliable or effective on this job and I need to find another way to power these sewage pumps before the ground floor flats start to flood AGAIN! Nathan.

25/03/2017 19:48:46

Thank you Martin P and Scrumpy. That is the exact application I have in mind . We need to power a 3ph pump control panel running 2 sub pumps from a single phase supply . We currently have two single phase in three phase out (230v) inverters trying to do the job and they do work after a fashion but are unreliable so far. It looks like they do not like too many switching operations instigated by the float switches and they also add a level of complexity that I do not like on what should be a simple system ! Nathan.

24/03/2017 23:29:22

Thanks vintagengineer, but what I'm looking for is a knowledge from a source which is non manufacturer but IS from someone who has knowledge of this through work or self use. I have had enough of the "advice" from sales orientated tech departments. I need advice from real working humans. Nathan.

24/03/2017 23:00:57

Can a phase converter, not a VFD/Inverter, be run continuously ? It would be powered and in ready mode most of the time and in use (on demand by the load) two to four times a day. Please do not tell me about VFD's/ Inverter's . They are not suited to the possible application and we have already tried them. We do not have 3ph supply available, do have dual voltage motors and have reconfigured to 220/230 v 3ph . My workshop is run from a Transwave converter and has been for 20 years without any hassle but it is a home/hobby workshop and not an everyday continuous use application. I need to know if I can run a 24 hour/7 day/52 week system on a converter. Can any of you help? Nathan.

Thread: Armoured cable - what size would you reccomend
21/03/2017 19:18:55

I was taught that SWA armour was to be used as an equipotential bonding conductor and should be connected to the circuit protective earth. The Reg's still state this. On periodic inspection testing the continuity of Bonding, Circuit Protective Earth and Phase Conductors is carried out on individual cores/wire armour to make sure that all potential current paths are proved to be ,A) continuous, and B) meet minimum insulation resistance requirements. This will show up any existing and any potential faults with the cable if the IR is less 1.5megohm. The Reg's state that while a circuit showing IR of 1.5 megohm is acceptable further investigation should be undertaken to find any latent faults within the circuit. Nathan.

Thread: Anybody know what these are ?
03/03/2017 20:34:09

What stoopid puts left hand threads on wheel nuts?

Would that be similar to those as buys LDV?

Nathan.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
28/01/2017 22:33:36

Murray, can I suggest that you look at Effast pvc? A short radius 110mm/4" elbow with two short stubs of pipe, multiquick on the pan and possibly another to the soil pipe socket ( if the effast pvc will not fit) should do the job. There are other( cheaper) pvc fittings available, these are simply the range we use at work and are at least 10 bar rated ( if you fully seal the pan when using / had a mega curry last night that could be useful!), and are easily available but are costly. Wall thickness is can be machined to suit your soil pipe by yourself. Nathan

Thread: TEC Strange wires
17/01/2017 22:00:58

In my line of work they are commonly known as Klixon connections, a thermally operated switch, which if you have the terminations for ( on your control panel) you should connect. It can save from a few hundred to many thousands of pounds sterling in downtime/rewinds on pumps (my line of work) or conversely cost YOU that much! I'm not sure who, of the pump manufacturers, made them popular but it was probably Flygt. Nathan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate