Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

TEC Strange wires

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Micky T17/01/2017 21:11:51
76 forum posts
29 photos

Hi all I hope someone out there can help identify a couple of strange wires in a TEC electric motor.

tec motor.jpg

strange wires.jpg

As you can see in the photo above i have 2 blue wires in a conection block that dont seem to have any use. They do not connect to the main winddings. I have had the motor running and every thing seems to be running ok. Are they any thing i need to be concerned with or can i just ignore them.

I'm looking forward to your replys

Mick

not done it yet17/01/2017 21:14:11
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Likely a thermistor connected to them and embedded in the windings?

mgnbuk17/01/2017 21:22:56
1394 forum posts
103 photos

Likely a thermistor connected to them and embedded in the windings?

Ditto, though it could be a thermal switch - have you tried measuring the resistance between the two wires ? Also, look inside the connecting box lid - frequently find a connecting diagram there.

If you are running the motor from an inverter, does it have a motor overheat input ? Some have a thermistor input - if yours turns out to be a thermistor, wire it to the drive as described in the drive manual so the drive can monitor the winding temperature.

Nigel B

Nathan Sharpe17/01/2017 22:00:58
175 forum posts
3 photos

In my line of work they are commonly known as Klixon connections, a thermally operated switch, which if you have the terminations for ( on your control panel) you should connect. It can save from a few hundred to many thousands of pounds sterling in downtime/rewinds on pumps (my line of work) or conversely cost YOU that much! I'm not sure who, of the pump manufacturers, made them popular but it was probably Flygt. Nathan.

Steven Vine17/01/2017 22:07:30
340 forum posts
30 photos

This link should take you to the 'Thermistor' page in the TEC motors online catalog.

**LINK**

Steve (who really should be doing his tax return)

Micky T17/01/2017 22:21:28
76 forum posts
29 photos

Thank you all for your replies.

It is connected to a Huanyang inverter 1.5kw, I'll have to check to see how I can take advantage of the thermistor. I've only just purchased both and I'm still trying to get my head around the chinglish manual

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate