By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DRO display problem
26/02/2023 23:41:53

dro display.jpg

The DRO display on my mill has a problem with the top line of the X display. On switch on, the very top line of the display is missing. After being on for about 5 minutes the top line appears and all is normal. However, yesterday the problem persisted all day. I'm guessing there is a dodgy contact somewhere that used to sort itself out once the display warmed up but now it's permanent. The system is a good umber of years old and way out of warranty. Any advice before I start taking it apart and ruining it permanently?

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Rod's Hoglet
13/02/2023 23:57:29

Kind words. Thanks guys.

Spent a couple of hours making a starting dog that keys onto the drive side of the crankshaft

h122.jpg

h123.jpg

I think I've made it to drive in the right direction!

Rod

12/02/2023 13:52:33

I need 4 rocker arms. The idea was to make them as a lump then saw it up into 4 pieces. First drill for the pivots

h105.jpg

Then mill to half depth

h106.jpg

and round off the protuberance

h107.jpg

And slit

h108.jpg

3mm hemispherical socket for the push rod end

h109.jpg

Springs were wound in 22SWG piano wire at 10 tpi

h111.jpg

I cut the valve seats with my trusty D bit valve seat cutter with a guide the same diameter as the valve stems

h110.jpg

Valves retained with a collar and a 1.5mm E clip

h112.jpg

A bit of hand work was required on the rockers to make them more presentable

h113.jpg

The tappets also need a hemispherical seat - possibly the only acceptable use of an end mill in a drill chuck

h114.jpg

h115.jpg

The push round ends need to be hemispherical. I made a form tool by drilling a 2.9mm hole in some gauge plate, milling the excess away then hardening and tempering

h116.jpg

One end threaded for adjustment and the other Loctited in place

h117.jpg

A gratuitous picture (for Neil) of the hardened and ground dowel pin for the crank pin being trimmed

h118.jpg

After Loctiting the cam shaft drive gear to the cams, the holes for the ignition triggering magnets need drilling. An elephant foot indicator found the peak of the central cam and the GHT Headstock Dividing Attachment was turned to give the -120 degrees and +39 degrees spacing

h119.jpg

Drilled with my tool-post mill/drill

h120.jpg

And that's pretty much all the mechanical bits of the engine done

h121.jpg

Just need to wrestle with the carburation and ignition now

Thanks for dropping by

Rod

Thread: All motorcycle races and trials events in Northern Ireland cancelled this year
11/02/2023 09:58:16

From the Office of National Statistics:

"Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 7.2% in September to November 2022, and 3.3% for the public sector; outside of the height of the coronavirus pandemic period, this is the largest growth rate seen for the private sector."

**LINK**

Rod

Thread: Whitworths micrometer and the length of a metre
10/02/2023 23:11:15
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 10/02/2023 22:08:55:

The French tried to be clever by basing the Metre on a fraction of the Earth's circumference as well as they could measure it at the time; but really it's as artificial as the Yard only about 3 inches shorter.

I think the Republican French were looking for a unit about a yard long that didn't rely on the length of a King's arm. I wish they had chosen a length for the metre that resulted in the acceleration due to gravity as 10m/s/s rather than the generally accepted average figure of 9.81. It would have made 'O' level physics much easier (in the days before electronic calculators).

Rod

Thread: Finally got a proper lathe
10/02/2023 17:35:00

That's a bit didactic. Not best modern practise perhaps but people have been using Dewhurst switches safely and successfully for the last 70 years. The contacts may get a bit pitted after half a century - a bit like putting a plug into an un-switched socket.

Anyway, nice lathe Dell. You'll enjoy that.

Rod

Thread: Carbide end mills in a hobby machine? your experiences please.
10/02/2023 09:37:05

+1. Almost all my turning is done with ccgt inserts (and cheap ones at that)

Rod

Thread: Design help for Myford style saddle stop
08/02/2023 21:08:27

I like the design from Hemingway

**LINK**

Rod

Thread: Mild Steel, What do I use?
06/02/2023 16:30:35
Posted by JasonB on 06/02/2023 07:25:10:

For any turned work I would go with EN1A or even the leaded version that cuts even better which is EN1Apb, modern spec is 230M07 and 230M07pb. I also use this for small parts that will be milled often using it to make short square and hex parts and don't get distortion as the cuts are reasonably balanced.

You will have a job finding this spec for square and rectangular...

Yes, I've not seen orthogonal sections from our usual suppliers. However, it seems to be available e.g.

**LINK**

I wonder if it is more popular in industry these days due to CNC operations. I'd certainly choose it in preference to EN3 for machining.

Rod

30/01/2023 17:42:16

The valve guides are brass. I turned the OD for a press fit in the head in the 3 jaw and then parted off, dialled in the 4 jaw and drilled and reamed through

h97.jpg

The returned to the 3 jaw (now that concentricity is not so important) to cut the spring seat and taper

h99a.jpg

h99.jpg

h100.jpg

My valves are stainless steel turned down to a 5/32" shaft and then grooved for a 3mm E clip

h101.jpg

The heads are relieved to 1/8" and the seats turned to 45 degrees. They will be ground in later

h102.jpg

h103.jpg

4 valves, all very nearly the same

h104.jpg

Rod

Thread: Most Interesting swarf?
30/01/2023 11:40:33

This is my favourite piece of swarf . While boring out a pulley it decided to feed itself through the lathe spindle and down into the swarf bucket which was on the floor next to the lathe.

swarf tail.jpg

Rod

30/01/2023 07:40:57

I think the RCEXL system ( I havn't played with it yet) uses a pair of sensors that respond to different poles of the magnet so one magnet is installed N facing the sensor and the other S facing.

Rod

29/01/2023 23:07:37

Ian,

How frustrating. It looks like Minimag may have a solution:

Minimag

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Source of Rope Knurl wheels?
29/01/2023 22:06:50

Clickspring on YouTube has made some

Rod
29/01/2023 20:34:42

Pistons are straightforward. Turned on the lathe then transferred in the chuck to the mill for drilling and reaming the hole for the gudgeon pin

h84.jpg

Then back to the lathe for hollowing out

h85.jpg

then back again to the mill to cut the relief for the little end of the con rod

h86.jpg

As per Jason's suggestion, the crank shafts will be keyed

h88.jpg

3mm slot drill

h89.jpg

That seems to work

h90.jpg

The cylinder studs are 4" long and I need 8 of them so a bit of mass production called for. My original lathe backstop was designed for holding thin parts square in the chuck. The depth is adjusted by a 40tpi thread in the Morse Taper. It won't go anywhere near accommodating a 4" stud. An hour's work made a new backstop with some 1/2" BSF studding which will take longer lengths.

h93.jpg

h94.jpg

h95.jpg

h91.jpg

The O rings are the same as I used to great success in my Farm Boy - rather larger cross section than specified but they are what I've got

h92.jpg

It's beginning to look like an engine. The pistons go up and down and the cam gears mesh smiley

h96.jpg

Thanks for looking in,

Rod

Thread: Stuart Beam Governor Question
29/01/2023 09:11:06

I scanned the TC articles for a previous discussion. They are in my Photo albums:

Tubal Cain Governor Articles

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 29/01/2023 09:13:16

Thread: NASA & Artemis 1 in MEW324. (On the wire)
25/01/2023 13:27:06
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 25/01/2023 12:44:16:

They {NASA} should be picking the best people for the job...

My interpretation is that NASA are admitting that in the past this has not necessarily been the case. The rather good film "Hidden Figures" emphasises how recent these issues are and that NASA did do a little bit to ignore racial origins.

Rod

Thread: Q-Cut inserts
23/01/2023 15:26:23
Posted by IanH on 07/01/2023 12:13:09:

I have pm'd you Rod regarding a shared purchase.

Ian

Edited By IanH on 07/01/2023 12:14:58

Ian,

I sent you a PM.

Rod

20/01/2023 16:11:43
Posted by JasonB on 11/11/2022 18:47:35:

Looking good Rod

Another option if you do get the shaft slipping would be to add a narrow keyway so a key could be used in that and engage in the slot with a bit of clearance so it does nor prevent the slot closing up,

Thanks Jason. I think that's the way forward. I'm using a hardened dowel pin for the crank pin so not an option there but fortunately the crank pin is gripped quite well. It is the other 2 that can be less firm and they will be un-hardened silver steel.

The CNC mill is fully 3D with Fusion 360 but, illogically, it seems less trouble to use the manual mill for fairly simple shapes.

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Q-Cut inserts
20/01/2023 12:29:20
Posted by Jss on 07/01/2023 17:58:46:

Hi Rod, if we’re talking about the N151.2-250-5E 1125 inserts, yes I would be willing to share!

John.

John, I have sent you a PM.

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate