Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Cura Roll-Overs

Can they be 86-ed?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Enough!01/09/2020 22:35:20
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Cura 4.x has annoying (to me) explanatory pop-ups every time I roll the mouse over one of the setup parameters. Not mitigated by the fact that it's a harsh black box on a white basic screen background.

Surely there's a configuration option to turn those off for those of us who dislike the "Go-Daddy website wannabe"? I can't find it.

Can anyone advise?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 01/09/2020 22:36:06

Gerard O'Toole02/09/2020 15:33:50
159 forum posts
13 photos

I have 4.4.1 and it only shows these pop-ups if i halt the mouse on a setting, never when i roll over settings.

Not sure about later versions.

I have the settings. plugin - not sure of that makes things better or worse.

Enough!02/09/2020 16:07:36
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Sorry, Gerard loose terminology on my part .... I should have said "hovering" rather than roll over.

In any event, it's that which I want to turn off.

I do have a menu item for "Settings" but it deals only with printing settings (not interface settings) allowing you to hide some of the more esoteric printing parameters.

Thanks!

Enough!02/09/2020 17:12:04
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 02/09/2020 16:07:36:

Sorry, Gerard loose terminology on my part .... I should have said "hovering" rather than roll over.

Hmm - just to add that the hover-time is extremely short on my setup - less than 1/2-sec I would judge. When does "hover" stop and "roll-over" begin? surprise

Gerard O'Toole02/09/2020 19:01:38
159 forum posts
13 photos

In my case, it might be a little slower.

Unfortunately i cannot help - like you I can see no preference regarding the popup help, sorry.

Neil Wyatt03/09/2020 11:30:54
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Google suggest they would have to change the program itself.

I personally don't mind them as I have lots of extra options visible and they remind me what's what.

Enough!03/09/2020 18:25:16
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, Neil. I did post the following to the Ultimaker Forum and got the response shown:

---------------------- (snip) ----------------------

Is there a plugin or whatever for Cura 4.7 that will allow changes to the screen interface?

In particular I'd like to turn off the explanatory pop-ups whenever I hover over a setting.
In fact, in my case, the hover time is considerably less than a second (around half at a guess)
which means it acts more like a roll-over than a hover and I find the resultant, continual
pop-ups very annoying.

Come to think of it, wide control of the hover time would be even better than the ability
to turn off the pop-ups completely.

Response:

There is no plugin that disables the popups, or that lets you control the hover time. If you want to change the hover time, it is hardcoded at 500 ms here:

resources/qml/Settings/SettingItem.qml (line 126)

---------------------- (snip) ----------------------

At first, I thought that meant I'd have to change some source code and recompile but my programming experience is a fair way in the past and even then limited to machine-code, 8080/Z80 assembler and the simpler higher level languages. Definitely not the C-varieties.

However, having briefly looked at it, I now think that means I simply edit (notepad++) the version of SettingItem.qml that I already have in my Cura/Resources/qml/settings directory and change line 126

If that's so it will be great and give me (and anyone else who wants to try) full control. I'll try it this afternoon.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 03/09/2020 18:26:01

Neil Wyatt03/09/2020 19:10:21
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Let me know how you get on, changing it to something like 1200ms would suit me.

Neil Wyatt03/09/2020 19:11:47
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Remember the days when every program had a file called config.sys that made this sort of thing really simple...

Enough!03/09/2020 21:59:35
1719 forum posts
1 photos

I tried editing the file and it was quite straightforward. About as easy as editing a config.sys - easier perhaps since this is Windows wink

- back-up original Cura4.7/resources/qml/Settings/SettingItem.qml

- edit with notepad++ (or, presumably, notepad but not wordpad) ... need to run as administrator.

- change line 126 to whatever and save.

I changed mine to 2000 ms and I was much happier. I may back that off to 1500 ms in fact.

I think part of my issue comes from the fact that, on the <Print Settings> window, which is rather small, the scroll-slider has a relatively short travel and is difficult (for me) to use with precision. Because of that I prefer to have the mouse-pointer over the settings and use the mouse scroll-wheel .... i prefer that generally anyway. That means that I get a lot of pop-ups with the original hover setting.

There are other settings in this file (and perhaps the many other qml files in the same sub-directory?) that might bear looking at. I wonder if there's one that sizes the <Print Settings> window .....

(All this done on my workshop Win-7 machine. presumably the same on later Windows versions.)

Gerard O'Toole04/09/2020 07:35:34
159 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks for posting back as this is good to know. Do you know if it works for all 4.x versions ?

gerard

Enough!04/09/2020 15:01:28
1719 forum posts
1 photos

I would imagine it would work for other 4.x versions, Gerard .... they seem to be structured much the same. The only thing is that there's no guarantee that the parameters are located at the same line number of the file (SettingItem.qml) in other versions so you may have to dig for it. Searching for "hover" should locate it.

Just make sure to back up the original file so you have a fall-back position.

Incidentally - others may know but I have learned - that the qml files are part of a "mark-up" language designed to be used in just this way. So that you don't have to change a parameter in source code and recompile as you would in a C-based program.

Neil Wyatt04/09/2020 16:26:25
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Excellent, thanks for the explanation, I'll take a look once MEW 297 is 'in the can'

Neil

Enough!06/09/2020 18:51:36
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Neil, when you get back from MEW-297 you might want to look and see if the following interests you too - it lets you change the font/size settings:

Download this file: **LINK**

Put it in %APPDATA%\cura\4.5\themes\larger-text\theme.json

Restart Cura

In the general preferences, select the theme Ultimaker Larger

Restart Cura again

You can edit the theme.json file to make size/font changes.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate