By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AdrianR

Here is a list of all the postings AdrianR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: From the ground up!
04/04/2019 17:51:29

All this talk got me to go look at the ML i recently inherited from my father. I always thought it was a ML1 but now I am not so sure.

It is a single piece headstock/bed casting with tumbler 'fingers'. It has bronze split bearings and strangely is 3 1/4 " from bed to centre height.

If I remember right the spindle is MT1 as is the tailstock.

Anyone heard of a 3 1/4"?

Adrian

Thread: War o wm18
04/04/2019 10:51:22

The question I would ask is why are the tapers sticking?

Assuming the tools are the same temperature as the mill, a couple of reasons I can think of are. The tapers are getting rough/scored or the spindle bearing is getting too warm.

Thread: Rulers - my pet peeve
02/04/2019 16:44:40

Maybe some enterprising chap with a CNC mill should read all the comments and start knocking out the perfect rule(r)

Thread: Natural gas for TIG welding
01/04/2019 17:19:04

I think natural gas could be a very good shield gas. If you turn on the flow long enough before striking the arc to create the optimal gas/air mix and if you have a suficently robust workshop. The gas will consume all the oxygen and create a CO2/N2 environment. Also as the reaction is exothermic it will preheat the work.

The unfortunate side effect is making the operator inert, but hey nothing is perfect.

BTW Hydrogen is used as a shield gas for Nickel, so CH4 may not be such a daft idea.crook

Edited By AdrianR on 01/04/2019 17:20:14

Thread: seals for mini lathe tapered roller bearings?
01/04/2019 12:22:50

Sealed TRBs? **LINK**

Thread: You tube videos of entertainment if not informative
31/03/2019 19:01:58

This is interesting about precision **LINK**

Thread: Odd bolt size
31/03/2019 16:38:12

The reason i noticed it was that i am in the middle of relocating and of course my 14mm spanner is at my other place 160 miles away. At least screw fix have some cheep spanners.

Will be great when the workshop build is finished and I can move it all.

31/03/2019 12:19:24

I have just bought a cheep ebay engine hoist and the bolts that hold the castors on are M8. The odd thing is the head and nuts are 14mm across the flats.

I am pretty sure they are metric as they have specification 8.8 on the heads.

Googling bolt dimensions says they should be 13mm.

Anyone have any idea why they are 14mm?

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
31/03/2019 10:25:53

Just a thought about the wheel strakes. In 1917 traction engines were more common so people would be used to what wheels should look like. Perhaps they are just put on that way because it was the norm.

Thread: Non-Drip Gloss Paint
29/03/2019 16:34:56

I stir non drip gloss to get a better finish. As long as it is not too hot/cold, you can get it so that it brushes on and spreads just enough to remove the brush strokes, then re-gels and stops the runs.

Thread: Free 2D drawing programs
28/03/2019 18:34:44

I have just started to use LibreCAD It is a bit more basic than QCAD but is totally free.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Bed Wear
28/03/2019 08:31:00

I cant remember if it was on this site and cant remember its name. I read about an epoxy like compound that is designed for repairing slide ways.

Maybe someone who is not having a senior moment knows of it.

Thread: Collet Chuck or not ?
27/03/2019 08:14:15

Dave,

You could face your block by using a faceplate, if you have one.

Harrold Hall's page

Thread: End mill sharpening jig
26/03/2019 17:21:44

Which book? I have two books with different designs and neither have those dimensions.

Thread: What colour
26/03/2019 17:11:46

Welcome from another newby.

I would vote for green.

Thread: Mini lathe
25/03/2019 17:41:32

Another thing to look out for are brushes sticking and not pressing against the commutator properly.

Thread: Smoke detectors
25/03/2019 07:50:01

Thanks for the advise, I think I will go with a ROR in the workshop, then put a combined unit in the attached store room.

BTW as far as I can understand the instructions, these types of detector are latching. Once triggered they stay activated till they are reset (remove from socket). So if the alarm was configured to see them as entry detectors you would not be able to set the alarm till you reset them.

24/03/2019 09:29:52

I am installing a burglar alarm in my workshop, it has the option to add smoke detectors. Simple to do, but what type is best to use.

I probably wont use suds and use neat oil instead, so there will be some smoke. Plus stick/mig welding and blowlamps.

I have a choice of;

• Optical smoke detector
  • Combined Optical smoke and fixed heat detector
  • Fixed heat detector
  • Rate of temperature rise detector.

Any one got any thoughts or had experience of detectors?

Thread: More Workshop space, shall I or not..?
24/03/2019 08:19:03

Ron,

You could leave the grinder in the little shed, then you wont have the issue of abrasive dust all over your lathe and mill.

Thread: Myford 3 1/2 M type
23/03/2019 21:48:39

FYI there is the Drummond users group on yahoo

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate