By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe DRO
18/04/2021 19:55:51
Posted by Journeyman on 13/04/2021 16:19:40:

Anyone who wants/needs to brush up on ** Lathe Nomenclature ** this may helpsmiley

John

+1.. I've always used these 'X' & 'Y' descriptors since my apprenticeship, & also when I used to teach apprentices in training school, never used anything different.

George.

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
13/04/2021 13:23:55
Posted by mechman48 on 13/04/2021 11:19:34:Posted by mechman48 on 12/04/2021 17:36:32:

My Dell Inspiron 17 3000 has a dvd player/ writer, Radeon graphics, Intel core i5 8th gen' 4gb ram, 1Tb hard drive, 3 USB ports, HDMI port. I still have a CD writer bought back in the 90's,still with it's mains adapter !, 2 x 500Gb ext hard drives, I think I am pretty well covered for most needs.

George.

p.s. omitted to say it also has an SD card slot.

Here is pic, sd slot on left.. usual disclaimer applies.

sd card slot.jpg

George

13/04/2021 11:19:34
Posted by mechman48 on 12/04/2021 17:36:32:

My Dell Inspiron 17 3000 has a dvd player/ writer, Radeon graphics, Intel core i5 8th gen' 4gb ram, 1Tb hard drive, 3 USB ports, HDMI port. I still have a CD writer bought back in the 90's,still with it's mains adapter !, 2 x 500Gb ext hard drives, I think I am pretty well covered for most needs.

George.

p.s. omitted to say it also has an SD card slot.

12/04/2021 17:36:32

George.

Thread: How do I remove this small bearing? And the one behind it.
09/04/2021 08:42:46

+1 ..posted before I could finish typing.

George.

Thread: Recommended suppliers and services
07/04/2021 11:59:07

I have used:

ArcEuro, Chronos, RDG,Tracy tools, JB tools, Screwfix, DRO, Warco, Toolstation, Eccentric Engineering, plus many others on eBay without any issues. Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: My easy solution to No More Clogged Spray Paint Rattle Cans
29/03/2021 12:07:01

You can use mini paint spray gun thinners as well.

George.

Thread: Stuart Victoria
29/03/2021 11:58:19

Nice job, looks as though it will run ok.

George.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
27/03/2021 16:28:49

Spent this morning changing out shorted oven element ...

Oven element.jpg

Damage at top left don't ask what caused it... no power cut, it didn't trip any breakers, just stopped working, Oven not heating, but fan still worked & thermostat light on so that's working, I deduced that the element had gone, ordered new one from espares ( Usual disclaimer ) yesterday, arrived today... Fitted working fine, job done. the only downer was I now have an aching back, set off my spinal arthritis, bummer!.

George.

Thread: Barrier Creams
26/03/2021 13:16:29

Try..

Deb Stokoderm Protect Pure Barrier Cream 100ml - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

I use this every time I'm in the man cave. I use a 100 ml squirty bottle to dispense a small amount onto the palm of my hand & rub it in fairly vigorously, it dries quite quickly leaving no sticky residue & is easily washed off with soapy water, & economical. Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: Domestic water hammer
24/03/2021 13:28:54

FWIW; It is possible that the ball valve float in the tank was 'bobbing up & down ' due to water rippling/splashing as it refilled causing the plunger to quickly push/pull the valve itself to open & close rapidly causing the banging.. sharp on/off of water flow which obviously disappeared as it levelled off & settled down.

George.

Thread: Stuart victoria
23/03/2021 12:26:56

I like it, smooth running.. not the Jamaican bob sleigh team... or was that 'cool running'?..devil

George.

Thread: Tea Spoons
23/03/2021 12:09:51

Denture tablets work well for me; boil some water, pour into container, add spoons + one tablet, & leave until fizzing stops + 10 mins or so then wash /rinse. Works well on stained plastic too.

George.

Thread: Mail Scam
23/03/2021 11:29:59
Posted by robjon44 on 23/03/2021 11:00:12:

I got one yesterday from the president of the USA advising me that the FBI had discovered a scam had been perpetrated against me & that I was entitled to a refund of 5.5 million dollars for pushing a few buttons, I thought that sounded a bit suspicious.

BobH

I've had this one too last month. I've also had various mails stating I have an inheritance from a long lost family member from dept in a co.in Singapore, I did a bit of research on this co.& it was a genuine co. so I emailed a copy of the mail to their customer contact mail naming the sender with a request to check their staff listing, Never heard from either again.

Also had mails from agencies / lotteries in Europe, where they asked for all the usual details to pay the winnings into, needless to say no details were/are passed on. I know who I deal with via mails etc, which is only a short list so anything else that arrives gets checked via my Internet security programme which displays a ' possible scam' notification on my screen.

I've also had the usual Royal Mail / Parcel force, et al, scam to pay for a redeliveries.

George.

Thread: Finish for wooden base
23/03/2021 11:11:41

I tend to keep finishes as simple as possible; I sand down the wood, wipe off, apply dark oak stain in a couple of coats to achieve the depth I like, with a rub down using fine grade emery foam pads in between each coat, once I achieve a decent look I then use a couple of coats of clear lacquer spray ( car body lacquer ) for final coating.

George.

20/03/2021 12:55:14
Posted by mechman48 on 18/03/2021 18:00:53:

Continued on with pieces for my Scotch yoke engine; did the piston rod & piston. A note to others FWIW, after careful reading of the dwg I decided to make the piston in two peices, why you ask?.. well the piston OD is 26mm, the undercut for the pistonring is 19 mm, the ring is to be made from Nylon or PTFE , now tell me how to fit a 19 mm ID over a 26 mm OD without splitting the ring, with the correct gap, to ensure a seal.

I decided to machine the piston as per dwg but machining the outer/top part as a seperate flat plate. As the piston assembly is tapped M5 it all screws together to become one unit with the ring captive. Will take pics later.

George.

As mentioned, pieces for my Scotch yoke engine... note piston made as two pieces..

3. scotch yoke eng.various bits.jpg

Marking out piston gland follower..

1.scotch yoke eng (2).jpg

George.

Thread: Umpteenth mystery object
19/03/2021 11:21:21
Posted by Bo'sun on 19/03/2021 11:06:02:

The button oiler makes me think it may not be for the food industry. Just a thought.

I believe there is a silicon food grade lubricant on the market ?

George.

18/03/2021 18:00:53

Continued on with pieces for my Scotch yoke engine; did the piston rod & piston. A note to others FWIW, after careful reading of the dwg I decided to make the piston in two peices, why you ask?.. well the piston OD is 26mm, the undercut for the pistonring is 19 mm, the ring is to be made from Nylon or PTFE , now tell me how to fit a 19 mm ID over a 26 mm OD without splitting the ring, with the correct gap, to ensure a seal.

I decided to machine the piston as per dwg but machining the outer/top part as a seperate flat plate. As the piston assembly is tapped M5 it all screws together to become one unit with the ring captive. Will take pics later.

George.

Thread: Brass facing finish.
18/03/2021 12:57:03
Posted by Bo'sun on 18/03/2021 11:24:03:

Would the continually changing surface speed when facing have any influence?

More than likely; as I understand it is to do with surface speed, the nearer to the center of the work you get you have to increase the RPM to keep the surface speed constant.

George.

edited.. typo's

Edited By mechman48 on 18/03/2021 12:58:25

Thread: That little elf under the workbench again
18/03/2021 12:43:48

... 'However, for small parts (that I can't immediately see) I now use a magnetic 'tool holder'

Same here; I have one of those magnetic trays that have two large ferrite magnets bonded to the underside, iirc I got it from a trader at one of those country house steam rallies a couple of years ago. I use it as IanT does, for any small disassembly screws that are too big for my stubby fingers to grip.

George.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate