By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mechman48

Here is a list of all the postings mechman48 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine Lamp Recommendation?
04/09/2021 11:53:53
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 04/09/2021 10:34:18:

I have two 30 LED "sewing machine lights" on my super 7 which work from the mains. They come with a two pin plug, which I removed and fitted a 13 amp ones. The lights have a small circular magnet at the end of flexible piece around 10" long, got them via ebay and they are listed as "sewing machine lights". Wife has one on the sewing machine and I've one for soldering. John

+1 just received one of these lights; throws a very bright beam onto the work area, tried it on my mill ,the difference in luminescence compared to the flexible spot I am using is amazing.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
24/08/2021 19:43:19

Finally got on with more work on my Scotch yoke engine. Assembled the frame, bearing support, crank shaft, cylinder assembly, & gave it a run with my hand drill, so far so good. Next steps are to make eccentric, eccentric strap, rod, valve, valve chest + covers, strip down ,degrease, paint & have it running on air, not a lot .. face 20

**LINK**

Excuse the video attempt, I haven't put anything up for quite a while & it looks quite sloppy.

George

Edited By mechman48 on 24/08/2021 20:02:26

Thread: New Lathe replacement for Myford
06/08/2021 14:18:20

I have a WM250V-F with power X feed, a WM 16 mill with long table, 2012 vintage, both of which have performed more than satisfactorily for my needs. As said space is a deciding factor, & as per SOD I have a single garage conversion & that is quite full as it is, in fact I could do with another garage. If I was looking for another lathe I would take a good look at the WM290 with VFD & factory fitted DRO, along with WM18 & fitted DRO, Myford 254, Harrison M250, larger again, but still ample for model work.

George.

Thread: Fitting DRO to a mini mill
28/07/2021 17:22:14

Have a look in my album.. DRO. there are some pics of my dro fitted onto my WM 250 VF

George.

Thread: Bench grinder
22/07/2021 16:02:55

As an aside ; are the bearings on the shaft starting to go, do they 'rumble' when you start the motor up?, it usually is one of the above reasons though.

George.

Thread: Warco WM180
22/07/2021 11:50:59
Posted by Mick B1 on 21/07/2021 19:30:29:

On my WM250V I start it with the green button, and it runs up to whatever speed the dial pot's set at. If I turn the dial CCW to its stop, the lathe runs at about 150 rpm, so if I've understood you correctly, the condition you describe is normal. When I want to stop the spindle I press the red stop button, not the Emergency Stop.

I tend to do most turning between about 300 and 800 rpm and rarely run faster, and I've never turned the pot down to its stop before stopping or restarting the spindle.

I've been doing this several times a day, several days a week, for more than 6 years now and not had any sort of electrical trouble.

Edited By Mick B1 on 21/07/2021 19:34:26

My WM250V-F behaves in the same way. I use the red & green buttons to stop/start & the lowest rpm shown when the pot is fully ACW is 59 - 61 rpm. I can set the speed, then can stop/start without having to wind down the pot. I always turn the pot down fully when finished for the day, same with my WM16 mill, once set, as said, I can stop/start without any need to wind the pot down.

George.

Thread: Moore & Wright Automatic Centre Punch Cat No 280
04/07/2021 17:09:01
Posted by Rik Shaw on 04/07/2021 15:28:45:

Hitler had only got one - he lost it though when everything came apart thinking

Rik

The 'other' is in the old town hall, his mother pawned the other so he had no ***** at all devil laugh

Thread: Auto sign in?
24/06/2021 14:57:33

I have the same problem as well as keeping things that I type in to the reply box,when I have to move on to another site, or even looking in 'my albums' involves losing all the typing I have done. I have had to resort to highlighting the text then 'copy' 'save' on to a word doc to paste back after I have inserted anything from another source, or copy to clipboard & paste it back. Once I leave the reply box all text disappears that's what I would like to resolve. It only happens on this site !

George.

Thread: Carbide inserts confusion
21/06/2021 14:32:03

Not detracting from or disparaging Warco's or other uk sellers have a look on Ali express or Bangood web sites where you can find various sizes to suit your lathe, & can usually be sold with a box of ten inserts for a very economical price. Usual disclaimer applies.

George.

Thread: Moving machines
21/06/2021 14:14:12

As mentioned in previous posts +1 for the engine hoist. When I was setting up my man cave I bought the 1 ton hoist from Machine Mart + a 1 ton web sling as there was a discount offer on at the time. It was eminently suitable to set up my lathe ( WM250V-F) onto its stand & the mill WM16 onto its stand, with the assistance of SWMBO. Usual disclaimer applies.

Installing mill machine.jpg

As it folds up I have it tucked away in a corner for future ( ? ) use.

George.

Edited By mechman48 on 21/06/2021 14:15:49

Thread: Pulley size help required.
16/06/2021 18:29:46

FYI ... calcs to work out your driver pulley to give you the req'd final speed...

Belt pulleys.1.jpg

Belt pulleys.jpg

Scanned from my Newnes Mech.Eng. pocket book.

George.

Thread: Elmers No42 Engine
16/06/2021 17:13:11

Nice as is, no need for paint, well done Barry.

George.

Thread: What lathe pointers
14/06/2021 20:21:42

Would second JS's listing for my likes, otherwise a nice Harrison M250/300 will do nicely.

George.

Thread: Calculating Diameter
12/06/2021 17:46:22
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 12/06/2021 17:36:05:
Posted by mechman48 on 12/06/2021 17:16:45:

Depends on the type of thread you want to make; Metric coarse/fine, BSW, BSF, BA, UNF, AF et al. Do you have a ZEUS book ? if not I suggest you get one they are cheap as chips. In it you'll find all the thread types you need with all the relevant core diameters, ID & OD, thread pitches / depth etc plus a load more handy information. Well worth it at todays price.

Amazon.co.uk : Zeus book ...have one at £5.20

George.

Does the Zeus book cover Model Engineering threads or are they in the Pocket book mentioned above ?

My Zeus book doesn't have ME threads per se, I suspect neither does the pocket ref booklet either from what I can see of it. I can scan a copy of my chart that has ME threads on it, if you pm me your e mail address.

Geo.

Scanned copy from Model Engineers Handbook by Tubal Cain; 2nd edition

ME threads.jpg

Geo.

Edited By mechman48 on 12/06/2021 18:06:18

Thread: A bit more upcycling.
12/06/2021 17:21:07

Very contemporary lamp, nicely done magpie.

Thread: Calculating Diameter
12/06/2021 17:16:45

Depends on the type of thread you want to make; Metric coarse/fine, BSW, BSF, BA, UNF, AF et al. Do you have a ZEUS book ? if not I suggest you get one they are cheap as chips. In it you'll find all the thread types you need with all the relevant core diameters, ID & OD, thread pitches / depth etc plus a load more handy information. Well worth it at todays price.

Amazon.co.uk : zeus book ...have one at £5.20

George.

Thread: Which edge finder?
10/06/2021 17:40:42

Having received an electronic edge finder this week I searched for any comments on their efficacy & usage hence this post. It seems that there are varying views, &, as others, I have a wiggler set & the disc set which both have seen plenty of use but I am one of those 'nice to have ' guys so went & searched on Ali express & found this one. All the others I have seen have a 20mm shank which is too large for my ER25 collet or drill chuck but this has a 16mm shank which suits fine.

On initial trial it's very sensitive, lights up & gives a 'beep' on contact, which does require a very slow 'creep' to the edge of the object. the ball at the end is 10mm, & is spring loaded should you 'push too far', so you do have a ref. for setting your spindle on edge if you have DRO's . very economical price too compared to some prices.Usual disclaimer applies.

electornic edge finder (2).jpg

electornic edge finder (1).jpg

electornic edge finder (3).jpg

George.

Thread: German Tec
09/06/2021 13:24:43

Was, deutsche Technik ist immer perfekt!... devil

George.

Thread: Stuart 10v valve rod
09/06/2021 13:13:40

..'Why does it need reducing? Given what you've got it'll be easier to make any mating holes slightly bigger. If there are threads at the end a short length only can be turned down for the thread.

That's what I did with my S10V, a lot easier.

George.

Thread: Brazing Hearth
09/06/2021 12:54:32

I used vermiculite blocks bought off eBay a reasonable price plus a kaolin blanket from CupAlloy to make my small mini hearth, have a look in my albums for 'mini hearth'

George.

Usual disclaimer applies.

Edited By mechman48 on 09/06/2021 12:55:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate