By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Stones

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Stones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Our world in IR (infrared)
07/03/2023 01:18:22

Irrespective of it being a sponsored video, this would have to be fifteen minutes worth of anybody’s time.

Engineer, Matthias Wandel, explores his (home-in-winter) surroundings with a thermal imaging camera.

He calls it - 'Exploring the world in infrared with a thermal camera'.

**LINK**

Have fun,

Sam smile d

Thread: Posting links
25/02/2023 20:46:15

Or both for convenience/sourcing, as per MichaelG's posts.

Sam smile d

Thread: Pinion dimension confusion
23/02/2023 01:57:52

It wasn’t so much the running in reverse Andrew, it was more to do with the possibility that the bolt would unscrew, and perhaps why the arbour was bent.

Speaking of running machinery in reverse, as an apprentice a very long ago time ago, one task I was given was turning up a tapered blank from a piece of HSS. It was the starting point for a 2.5deg reamer.

The flutes of the reamer were milled before the hardening shop did their bit. Finally, it went to the cutter grinder for finishing.

All went well except the (rather accident-prone) miller had cut the flutes left handed.

You get where I’m going?

Actually, the finished reamer came back to me since I had the job of using it to clean up the tapered bore of a sprue bush (look up injection moulding).

Fortunately, the rather clapped out (apprentices) lathe was flat-belt driven from an overhead counter-shaft. The belt had enough slack/stretch to be twisted and the lathe run in reverse. Some of you will cringe at this especially when I reveal that the chuck was screwed onto the end of the lathe spindle and could unscrew.

Under the supervision of the equally anxious foreman, applying plenty of oil I gingerly reamed the bush to a point where it was ready for polishing, as is the custom for reliable mould release.

All went well although I think the miller got some stick for his LH oversight.

Keep safe,

Samsmile d

22/02/2023 20:25:30

And the direction of cut, even if the spindle is running in reverse!

Or are my eyes deceiving me Andrew?

Samsmile d

Thread: What's this called?
16/02/2023 22:11:06

Ditto, Michael.

Even now my brain says it's a 3D ribbon loop, that flips between an inside and an outside centre-riveted continuous strap.

Holding the image flat in two pieces of sheet metal fashioned (as Gary intends), into a double ended caliper is a struggle.

Something stronger than coffee at work?

Cheers,

Sam

Thread: Spudger
17/01/2023 00:13:54

I can't imagine Big Clive being without one.

This takes you to his current site...

**LINK**

Here he is, spudger in hand, doing what he's probably best known for, i.e. 'reverse engineering'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN0IXJbpsXQ

Samsmile d

Edited By Sam Stones on 17/01/2023 00:14:54

Thread: Privacy Glass in cars
14/12/2022 21:19:12

Arriving very much down the end of this thread (14 Dec '22) and appologising if the following has already been raised.

After fifty years in Australia, and a regular visitor to skin-cancer clinics, I feel this needs a mention ...

**LINK**

Cheers,

Samsmile d

Thread: Macro-photography
04/12/2022 18:28:18

Well, I thought I'd try to tidy up my mistake.

Let's see ...

Go to **LINK** then select Stereo Mars (2022 December 03).

That should work.

I could also have mucked about with the image, but I'm not sure if ME will take .png files.

How am I do'in Peter?

Keep safe,

Sam

Edited By Sam Stones on 04/12/2022 18:29:12

03/12/2022 21:00:36

Thanks Peter, I now realise my mistake.

All this APOD, url, (and strange English spelling) stuff is a foreign language to an 87 yo.

It won't happen again blush

Cheers,

Samsmile d

03/12/2022 18:20:54

A stereo pair with a big difference, i.e. not macro.

Sorry guys, although someone might do the switch, it's only for cross-eyed viewing.

**LINK**

Cheers,

Samsmile d

Thread: Twenty-one Today!
04/11/2022 20:30:57

Sorry Michael, blush

My recollection was that no-one noticed when your posts reached 20,000, and for my old brain, twenty-one is easier to remember.

Keep safe,

Sam

04/11/2022 19:59:39

Ah yes, Jason!

But you had a two years start on Michael, and his batting average is slightly better.devil

04/11/2022 19:10:36

When it does reach 21000 however, I’d like to have been the first to congratulate you, Michael Gilligan on such a stupendous effort.

Proffering that many Model Engineer posts since your first in April 2011 has to be not only a record, but also a magnificent and supportive achievement.

Keep up the good work.

Sam

Thread: Epicyclic Clock
03/11/2022 00:07:59

epicyclic - david noble.jpg

Not my usual standard, but you know what I mean David.cheeky

With too many unforeseen issues, I'm no longer able to take this much further.

Anyway, who cares if it's cycloidal, involute, convolute, or even inefficient at this stage, you've got to start somewhere. A scrap of plywood and some panel pins comes to mind.

By the way, you're to be congratulated on the progress you've made since we began swapping notes.

I wish you well,

Sam

02/11/2022 00:35:45

How dare I even suggest lantern pins David?

Sam cheeky

Thread: Clock lubrication
02/11/2022 00:06:23

Adding additional support, particularly in relation to Fowlers Fury posts, as a ‘One-Clock-Expert’ I deliberately let rip with a spray can of stuff not only on my ‘one and only’ (unfinished) timepiece but that of the mechanism of a commercial longcase clock belonging to a late friend. It had stopped working so it obviously needed spraying according to the many claims of said stuff.

That was at least thirty years ago long before I knew better.

Stepping back even further … well you can read the paragraph for yourselves taken from a seven part article I wrote for Model Engineer............

Building John Stevens’ Skeleton Clock - Part 1 - #4526 – 22 Jan 2016

By about 1976, and because of a couple of technical setbacks, none the least being the balance spring, I shelved the project, literally. There it stood slowly gathering dust, rust, and some sort of hard, brown tarnish. A liberal dose of a well-known water-repellent spray seemed to have helped in developing this hard coating. It covered every piece of brass. Protection of the steel parts (especially the arbours) was also lacking. These latter issues only became obvious years later, when I was eventually encouraged to finish the clock and began to pull it apart.

When I finally finished the clock, I received a gift from an extremely generous clockmaker.

About 2ml each of three grades of clock oil. Enough to last centuries. So maybe you can find someone similarly generous?

Sam cool

Almost brass monkey weather here in Melbourne

Thread: Stereoscopic Pairs
18/10/2022 21:06:18

Following on from Joseph’s observations Nick, the improved sharpness appears to relate directly to (left/right) staircase divergence.

Likewise, this ‘Focus Synergism’ improves the DoF.

How fascinating.

Samsmile d

18/10/2022 05:09:17

Nick, I must congratulate you on the rapid progress you have made in such an apparently short space of time. And, what better suited to us Model Engineer enthusiasts than ‘pictures at an exhibition’ (Mussorgsky).

Thank you also for going that extra step by including both stereo pairs.

As a (lucky me) crossed-eyed viewer, but never a BSA owner and with nothing to compare, I have to accept Michael’s comment about the forks.

From my ‘perspective’ there’s little I can add to Joseph and Frances insights.

While crossed pairs (usually) lock in almost instantaneously, I did struggle with your (heavily cropped) pair of the Stuart Turner No. 4 engine. Tracking front to back didn’t work well, but when they did ‘lock’, the sharpness was again, really impressive.

Joseph, I was surprised with your comment about the increase in sharpness. I can see clearly, what you mean. Could it amount to an overlap, a fractional sideways shift, or even a (near) doubling of the pixilation?

A great result!

Sam

Thread: Astro-skeleton clock project
11/10/2022 04:05:08

After fifteen years of amazing attention to detail and craftsmanship, here's Mark Frank's final installment of the building of his Astronomical Skeleton Clock.

**LINK**

Not forgetting the immense skills of builder ..... Buchanan of Chelmsford, NSW, Australia

"Truly remarkable!"

See for yourselves, there nothing else I can say.

Sam

Thread: Macro-photography
07/10/2022 04:22:10

Thanks, Nick.

That’s another neat subject. Your front-to-back layout certainly makes the horse chestnuts jump-out.

Clearly, within the limits of dof (depth of field), extra depth adds dimensional impact. The cropping issue you mentioned made no difference to my cross-eyed view of things. I also feel sure others recognise how your efforts are showing us the way, and providing both parallel and crossed pairs is also very much appreciated.

Having plunged into his thread with a (3D) ‘branch line’ (back on Page 6 - 22/05/2020), I wonder what Raphael makes of all this.

By the way, in my neck of industrial Lancashire, conker contests were a rarity, but certainly preferable to clug feh’tin (clog fighting) .

**LINK**

Never actually entering into such a sporty pastime, I stopped wearing clogs upon leaving primary school.

Keep up the good work.

Sam

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate