By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Washer for leaking 3D print nozzle?
26/02/2023 21:16:05

depending on the make and model many 3D printers rely on the interface between the nozzle and the guide tube to make a leakproof seal. If the tube has turned and travelled upwards in the block it may be leaving a gap. Turning the guide tube in a half turn may fix the leak. The nozzle should contact the tube before the shoulder tightens onto the heater block.

3dnozzle.jpg

The diagram may help a bit. It's a matter of trying to stop the guide tube turning if there is room a couple of lock nuts on the tube can be utilized.

John

Thread: Making a cross-slide tool post for Warco WM290
25/02/2023 16:51:39

Well it works well for the WM250 (as per the article you linked to) so I see no reason why it should not work for the WM290 with suitable amendation of the dimensions.

toolpost.jpg

I note you have opted for a rectangular base-plate with the tool post front and centre. This will limit options as to tool position. The square with post at the corner (as per original) allows for rotation of the assembly so the toolpost can be in one of four locations as required. The whole base-plate can be slid back and forth in the T-slots to further aid getting the most suitable position.

John

Thread: Coving on an angled ceiling.
23/02/2023 15:29:56

You could possibly use a strip of flexi-ply comes in various thickness and the sheets various sizes are designed to bend either the short way or the long way. Two bits glued together will become rigid.

Likewise a couple of layers of styrene sheet glued together would become rigid. Would need some sort of jig/former to hold it to the desired angle for gluing. 

Or the double glazing industry uses a multitude of different trims and sections in UPVC with a foam inner, I used these as a skirting (about 50mm wide) in my bathroom easy to glue, no painting or finishing.

John

Edit: Add a bit

Edited By Journeyman on 23/02/2023 15:40:51

Thread: Has anyone here ever modified a capstan attachment to fit a regular centre lathe?
14/02/2023 15:57:02

How about something like this from *** Mikes Workshop ***

TAilstock Tool Holder

With a bit off work setting tooling and some additional stops could be made to function. With a lever operated tailstock could be even better.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 14/02/2023 15:57:57

Thread: Grinding your own hss lathe tools. Tips & tricks?
06/02/2023 09:09:41

There is some useful info and a downloadable wall chart at *** Steve's Workshop *** which you may find useful.

John

Thread: Piercing saw blade advice wanted.
02/02/2023 18:21:44

This is metric from Cookson Gold *** Metric Piercing Saw Blade Sizes ***

John

02/02/2023 17:49:20

No particular advice but table of *** Piercing Saw Blade Sizes *** here

John

Thread: Where to get rectangular PVC tube
31/01/2023 14:48:51

Could try TP Extrusions

or Sinclair & Rush

John

Edited By Journeyman on 31/01/2023 14:50:31

Thread: Solid Toolpost Mount
22/01/2023 18:26:35

Similar for my WM250, a very useful mod definitely improves rigidity. Top-slide not used most of the time. No problems screw-cutting.

toolpost.jpg

A good mod easily put together from bar stock Journeyman's Workshop.

John

Thread: Removing a stuck chuck.
17/01/2023 16:46:19
Posted by Martin Kyte on 17/01/2023 15:57:07:

There has to be some clearance or the chuck will not go on. However the screwthread by definition must be surfaces in intimate contact. Therefor the defining surfaces are the flanks of the thread. You must keep them clean.

regards Martin

The Myford ML7 manual might be at odds with this as it states on page 31 - " Register bores are held to very close limits. When backplates or threaded body chucks are supplied as separate units after the machine has left these works the register bore may need very light scraping or polishing with fine emery cloth. Do not screw equipment onto the spindle nose without ensuring that the spindle register diameter is lightly smeared with fine oil."

I too was always under the impression that accurate alignment came from the parallel spindle register and face and not from the thread.

John

Thread: 900 million covid cases
14/01/2023 21:07:22

From Wikipedia:

The World Council for Health is a pseudo-medical organisation dedicated to spreading misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines and promoting fake COVID-19 treatments.

Say no more...

John

Thread: Cheap Storage Solution
14/01/2023 14:37:59

Having to do my own washing I noticed that manufacturers have recently started to provide my 'washing pods' in cardboard boxes. Unlike their plastic forerunners these boxes are nicely rectangular, made of strong water resistant cardboard with nicely fitting lids.

storagebox.jpg

The boxes are internally about 9"L x 3"W x 4"H Could be painted if required to hide the logos on the outside. They seem to be well made and quite robust and a useful size for stacking on a shelf or in a cupboard. May also be a cheap solution to transport and post and package requirements.

Just a heads up for those not into laundry.

John

Thread: MIG welder
14/01/2023 09:24:56

Similar item on eBay in UK does not mention MMA or TIG and no accessories supplied to indicate that these are possible. Input current is stated at 22A so would not work off UK mains, don't know what Thailand power supply is like. I think the best you could expect is very light work. Doesn't do gas MIG so wire is expensive.

Link to UK available model for comparison

John

Thread: Hydrogen
10/01/2023 11:13:41

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/01/2023 09:47:37:,

... but Drax is in good working order, and it's carbon footprint is substantially reduced by burning biomass rather than coal...

Dave

Not entirely convinced by that:-

• Cut down primary forest in Canada - uses energy
  • chip the timber - uses fossil fuel energy
  • dry the chips - uses energy
  • transport to dock - uses fossil fuel energy
  • load onto bulk carrier - uses fossil fuel energy
  • transport across Atlantic by most polluting form of transport - uses fossil fuel energy (lots)
  • load onto railway wagons - uses fossil fuel energy
  • transport to site - uses fossil fuel energy
  • burn to release yet more CO2 that was happily locked up in the forest

Doesn't add up to me, have a look at the BBC News article on Drax.

John

Thread: Merry Christmas Everyone!
22/12/2022 16:57:24

xmas.jpg

Thread: Cad software for dummies.
14/12/2022 09:55:50

Alibre Atom might be worth a go. It is paid for software but you can get a free trial it is a full CAD package not just drawing. There are tutorials on the forum and quite a few threads here about it. Try this thread to start with.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 14/12/2022 09:57:48

Thread: Chinese diesel heater
11/12/2022 21:25:46

Yes fire in Derby caused by one of those, see BBC News

John

Thread: New type postage stamps
08/12/2022 21:02:55

Duncan, my error I should have said, as Peak4 pointed out, the actual decision is made right at the end a page or so further into the process. Not a particularly brilliant website I'm afraid.

John

08/12/2022 15:53:24
Posted by duncan webster on 08/12/2022 14:07:16:

Bought some online postage last night. It used to be very straightforward, but now it is impossible to avoid the option of having it collected. I walk past the postbox most days as I'm emptying the dog, so I don't find this at all helpful.

The Royal Mail online postage website gives you the option of collection or drop-off, ie put it in a post box as per the image below. Despite offering free collection in a yellow box which makes it look as though that is the only choice.

rmoptions.jpg

Just select 'Postbox, print at home'. Hope that helps for future use.

John

06/12/2022 14:32:07

Apparently each stamp has an individual code number which will be read and 'digitally' franked. Second time around will be ejected and charge levied for extra processing and delivery. Ran a few through a bar code reader they do appear to have different numbers.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate