By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Central Heating Room Thermostat
04/10/2022 11:33:02

Thanks Gordon, but I did say that the photo was that of the existing receiver.

04/10/2022 10:45:59

I have an Intergas boiler controlled by a Honeywell CM927 room thermostat. Its been fine for a good number of years but, with the rise in gas prices, I decided to reprogram it; but the display has gone wrong - I can't see anything of use. It appears to be a well known problem. The CM927 is no longer available so I need a replacement, but what one?

I'm tempted by the Tado V3 starter, but know absolutely nothing about it. I think it uses a phone app for programming and comes with an appropriate receiver to replace the existing one, a photo of which is below. I've been unable to find an on-line user manual, all I have found is the usual vague gee-whiz advertising stuff.

Another possible replacement is the Adept T2R, but again no really useful information like the programming facilities.

Can anyone shed some useful light please? I'm open to suggestions.

wireless CH receiver.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 04/10/2022 10:50:59

Thread: Drawing a saw blade - help!
29/08/2022 19:41:37

Continued...

I then lofted the two teeth towards the small rectangle in the centre.

hole saw 3.jpg

Because the in/out sloping parts were now separate from the two cylindrical parts I could create an intersection of one tooth and the in-slope section, and the other with the out-slope section.

hole saw4.jpg

I could then do a circular pattern of the two teeth and then combine then with one of the cylindrical parts. That completed the job.

29/08/2022 19:30:15

I first created sketch of two versions of the profile of the blade; one with the lip curving out and the other with the lip curving in.hole saw0.jpg

Then each profile was revolved to create two bodies in the same location. Here's the one for the top sloping out.

hole saw1.jpg

A new sketch was then drawn from the top. This was to get the correct angle for the pairs of teeth - I chose 10 pairs.

hole saw 1a.jpg

I then created a workplane offset from the original sketch, but through the line defining the angle of the previous sketch.

hole saw2.jpg

I then cut then created a workplane to cut the two bodies along the horizontal line of that sketch. This created 4 bodies: two copies of the cylindrical parts, and one each of the in/out sloping parts.

29/08/2022 14:02:27

Here's my effort in Fusion.

hole saw.jpg

Thread: Centec 2b
13/08/2022 08:04:25

On my 2B I kept the original 3ph motor, converted it to delta by splitting the star point, and run it with a VFD. This gives me a speed range from about 30-2800 rpm. I've not experienced problem using carbide tooling, and it makes tapping under power a doddle.

Thread: Broadband woes
11/08/2022 11:01:22

I've been with TalkTalk for a number of years. I get a landline number and a 38Mb broadband service for less than £24/mth. But the landline calls are charged extra, not that I ever use the landline for making calls, its only for receiving calls, or emergencies. I use Lebara for my mobile stuff - it costs £4.99/mth and I've never managed to use up all my calls or data allowance.

I've had no problems with TalkTalk or Lebara. It pays to shop around.

Thread: Centec milling machine
10/08/2022 09:39:44

Here's a photo of the half-nut on my Centec 2B. I hope it helps.

halfnut_annotated.jpg

Thread: Tiny woodscrews (not exactly engineering...)
08/08/2022 13:08:44

Possibly places that make doll's houses?

Thread: Centec 2A Drawbar
02/08/2022 07:18:28
Posted by peak4 on 01/08/2022 14:10:19:

A typo maybe Gary, you need to remove the circular nut to change the vertical drawbar, rather than just to remove the quill.

Bill

No typo. On my MK3 VH the drawbar is not retained in any way. After unscrewing it from the tool-holder/chuck whatever, it is free to be removed. I suspect that my VH isn't standard because its ISO30. With ISO30 a gentle tap is all that's required to free the tool from the taper - there is no need to forcibly eject the drawbar.

01/08/2022 13:50:34

The drawbar is just the long piece above the ruler. The spring sits on top of the quill and is not part of the drawbar at all, it is held in place by the circular nut. The nut is removed by the spanner, which is only required if you need to remove the quill for some reason.

Thread: Play Day at the Club
01/08/2022 10:13:43

Nice track and models, and I loved the steam powered skateboard.

Thread: Secrets of the London Underground
27/07/2022 09:39:23

I've enjoyed the one or two episodes that I found by accident, and was impressed by Siddy's knowledge and enthusiasm. I remember when Mornington Crescent was a station, did they ever include it in a program?

According to my mother, she heard the sound of Bow Bells ringing when I was born. That was at St Barts hospital before the war - and would make me a true cockney.

Thread: Exactly
27/07/2022 09:28:00

Hmm, the reviews on Amazon were not encouraging.

Thread: Simple way to bend 10mmŲ x 1mm stainless tube
24/07/2022 12:47:54
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/07/2022 08:31:53:
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 24/07/2022 06:47:31:

Not so pricey here

Yeah, but …

The density of Wood’s Metal is commonly given as 9.7 gm/cc

and the internal volume of Windy’s tube, in nice convenient cc

= pi x 0.8 x 600

So, even at the super-low price for that ebay ‘remoulded at home’ Cerrobend

Where did the 0.8 come from? Shouldn't it be 0.16? Total volume = pi x 0.16 x 600 = 301.6cc = 2925.5gm

Thread: Centrifugal switch bakelite broken problem.
12/07/2022 10:03:39

Instead of a section of an old tin can, how about filing a little groove around it, deep enough to accept a length of wire (stainless, copper, whatever) then inserting the wire - twist the ends together for added strength. Then covering it with Araldite - sort of like reinforced concrete. I've successfully repaired several hard plastic items using this technique.

Thread: NEW LOOK COVER FOR MEW
06/07/2022 09:51:47

The cover content is fine for me: what I don't like is the high gloss finish. Its too slippery.

Thread: Scribing Tool
01/07/2022 12:01:27
Posted by JasonB on 01/07/2022 11:22:25:

At about £8 it's not a bad buy

Where did you £8?

Thread: Free Fusion360 subs ended
25/06/2022 11:32:54

THIS site says that the free version can be renewed on a 3-year basis.

Thread: Interesting YouTube Video.
23/06/2022 10:15:22

Nicely produced video with a beautiful track and super models. Well worth watching.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate