By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Layout Square
11/07/2023 15:34:36

I've had one for years and it's brilliant. Two things would make it better. First a spring washer under the clamp screw to provide a little friction when setting. Second a Vernier scale on the slide one day I'll get round to fitting the first and engraving the second. Mine has a nice steel thumb nut. A Shame if they've made that from plastic but a good exercise to make one. Highly recommended.

Thread: Boring without a boring head on a mill.
09/07/2023 10:24:28
Posted by samuel heywood on 08/07/2023 23:49:45:

Not got a boring head.

If i center a drilled hole in the plate on the rotary table can i then enlarge the hole to required diameter with an end mill,slowly adjusting in either x or y axis to cut & a lot of cranking of the rotary tables' handle?

Thanks.

In effect this is exactly how a cnc machine makes large holes (a/k/a pockets). I used to work at a company making microwave cavity filters, some of which had holes bored to precise diameter and spacing in aluminium blocks. All done on a CNC machining centre, nary a boring head in sight. Material later silver plated.

Thread: Soluble cutting oil just floating on water
06/07/2023 14:11:25

Use car shampoo then

06/07/2023 09:31:19

Nothing to be lost by adding a squeeze of washing up liquid

Thread: Recent issue with DRO
02/07/2023 21:15:45
Posted by Clive Steer on 02/07/2023 20:52:17:

PS if you ever drop your mobile phone into water immediately removing the battery may prevent damage because of this issue.

Good luck with that with a modern phone!

Thread: Warco GH600 user opinons sought
01/07/2023 17:34:37

If you added an electronic leadscrew that would deal with your threading problem, and you could easily add power cross feed. No need to buy a new lathe at all.

Of course you could also go the whole hog, once you have steppers on both leadscrews then you have the CNC option as well.

Thread: Accurate sheet metal cutting
29/06/2023 07:11:14

Aha! Electrochemical etching to make steel clock hands!

Thread: Unimat 3 carriage feed screw - material used.
26/06/2023 17:10:51

IIRC the thread is M8 x 1 LH. I doubt that the original steel was particularly distinguished by great hardness - a good free cutting mild steel would do especially as it runs in a thread cut in MAZAK. The handwheels IMHO are deplorable - why not make a new one out of nice aluminium alloy to dimensions that will fit the end of the leadscrew? And you might consider taking the thread down to M4 so it's threaded nicely all along.

Thread: Putting on a fine cut..
25/06/2023 14:58:26

But you need to have a really sharp tool and well adjusted slides.

Thread: High Speed Milling
23/06/2023 14:55:12
Posted by Iain Downs on 23/06/2023 13:48:39:

HI, John.

Not entirely sure how you are milling pinions with a slot drill - would that not be an incorrect profile?

Cheers!

Iain

Thanks for the info Iain.

As Jason says...

pxl_20211204_112143929.jpg

pxl_20211122_135045282.jpg

Basically profiling into the end of a bar, then parting off. Under power of course...

23/06/2023 11:29:00

Ian, I have to makes some clock hands soon and was thinking of a similar approach. What steel are you using please?

I have successfully milled 10t pinions into the end of a FC steel bar running a carbide 1mm slot drill at 5000rpm, taking it slow, so high speeds are not necessarily needed. Have you considered adding holding tabs and linking the hand shape to a larger surrounding area to reduce the risk of the superglue bond breaking? Obviously you have to file the tabs off at the end but a bit of added security.

Thread: Lathe/VFD/DRO issue
23/06/2023 10:50:31
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/06/2023 20:01:25:
Posted by Rockingdodge on 22/06/2023 18:31:50:

Thanks Robert, Nick,

• ......it means a pedant will have to be wired in.

Good luck,

Dave

I love it!

Thread: Collet issues
22/06/2023 17:35:12

Right! The thread is needed to make sure the collet is pulled hard against the internal taper. AFAIK Arc don't sell Pozilock though Warco do. Largely superceded by ER I think.

22/06/2023 15:31:59

I don't think they can be like ER collets as they have a circumferential groove at the point where the front and back tapers join which engages with the eccentric ring in the nut. I agree that it looks more like an Autolock-type. An angled view of the back of a collet showing any internal screw thread would settle the matter.

Thread: Email woes
22/06/2023 09:49:35

For many years I have used what is now Ionos but was 1and1. Have to pay but we get at least 5 email addresses, my own domain and website if I want it, spam filtering, access from regular email clients such as Thunderbird or Outlook, and webmail from any browser. My wife uses it from the Apple email client on her Macbook and the Gmail client on her phone.

**LINK**

Added: they take care of all the domain registration stuff so you only need to deal with Ionos.

Edited By John Haine on 22/06/2023 09:52:41

...and on the rare occasions where I've had a problem I couldn't sort myself their phone hotline answered quickly and was very helpful.

Edited By John Haine on 22/06/2023 09:54:35

Thread: Groove/cutoff tools wants to dig in too much
22/06/2023 09:44:29

Another thing to be aware of is that you can try to part/groove at too low a speed. For the tool to cut there needs to be enough speed that in the small region where the tip touches the work the metal gets hot enough to soften. Manual feeding and going slow is particularly problematic since to start with the tool won't cut,you aren't feeding steadily because nervous about the whole process, so suddenly there's enough pressure for the tool to start cutting but then it pulls the slide forward so the tool digs in. I think it's George Thomas who recommends parting off at higher speeds using power feed - discovering that revolutionised parting off for me.

21/06/2023 20:32:56

What rpm?

21/06/2023 20:32:55

What rpm?

Thread: Lathe/VFD/DRO issue
21/06/2023 15:03:54

Could be earthing or interference issue. Do the DROs and VFD both have screened cables? Could you post a wiring diagram showing the main connection points especially where the earths run?

Thread: 30 Int to Morse No. 2 adaptor
16/06/2023 07:07:41
Posted by DC31k on 16/06/2023 06:49:20:

Since a Morse taper is non-self-releasing, why do you you feel a drawbar is necessary? What forces will be on your boring head that will encourage it to pull out of its seating? It is not a milling cuttter whose cutting geometry is such as to pull it into the work.

MTs are fine when all the force is axial. With a boring head most of the force is tangential and would easily wobble the taper out.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate