By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are All Our Heritage Industries being Outsourced now
10/08/2023 14:41:13

I believe it's called 'badge engineering' and has been going on for years, I looked at some over priced Barbour wellies recently and they were not made in the UK.

Tony

Thread: Use of coal, oil and fossil fuels
08/08/2023 16:50:40

I thought that part of the 'planning process' was that water companies etc had to sign off on them if there was sufficient infrastructure to cope? Someone please advise.

Tony

03/08/2023 11:13:15
Posted by duncan webster on 03/08/2023 10:51:40:

Putting solar farms on fields which could be used to produce food seems a little short sighted to me. Of course not all open land is very productive, but all new builds, residential or industrial, should be covered in solar panels, and we should be investigating retrofits (structure might not be strong enough in some cases)

And why do southerners always want to cover the north of England and Scotland in trees? They will grow equally well in the south, in fact as it's warmer they'll grow better.

I'm all for returning the UK to the green and pleasant land it once was, but sadly I'm not in charge!

Tony

Thread: Stated thread depth never works for me.
03/08/2023 10:50:06
Posted by Chris Crew on 02/08/2023 23:59:52:

Sorry, I am not going to keep re-editing the preceding post ad-infinitum as things come to mind but another advantage of the set-over top-slide method is that the tool does not have to be ground to exactly the thread angle. As long as the cutting edge is set at the correct flank angle to the screw-cutting gauge it doesn't matter what the rear face is as long it is not greater than the included angle of the thread. Therefore, you can grind a top and side rake angle on the tool to make it cut more freely in steel.

Hmm, bit of a sweeping statement, so a screw cutting tool of say 30 degrees included angle would be ok in your view? Full disclosure, I used to use the set over method but now use full form inserts.

Tony

Thread: Use of coal, oil and fossil fuels
03/08/2023 10:41:08
Posted by Chuck Taper on 03/08/2023 10:35:36:

Major embolism inducing rant:

There is no uncontrolled worldwide population growth. In fact (global) population growth is slowing and will begin to decline mid century.

Mr Chuck taper, how in gods name [sorry god] do you know population growth will slow and decline by mid century.

Tony

03/08/2023 09:56:04

IanT, you are spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately politicians of all colours will not see it until it is too late, I will be gone when the brown stuff hits the fan but I have children and grandchildren who will go through the crisis. I'm also thinking the uncontrolled worldwide population growth will be a 'challenge'.

Tony

Thread: Lathe on EBay
30/07/2023 19:17:01

Interesting listing! Price I would think is 'unrealistic''?

Tony

Thread: Miltary Database?
28/07/2023 09:18:05

I would say not, but maybe someone on here knows better.

Tony

Thread: Gear
26/07/2023 18:24:26

There is a Colchester and Harrison lathe owner’s group on Facebook, may be worth asking them?

Tony

26/07/2023 18:24:25

There is a Colchester and Harrison lathe owner’s group on Facebook, may be worth asking them?

Tony

Thread: Warco WM290 or GH600
21/07/2023 10:35:48

The WM290V does not have a screw cutting gearbox the GH600 does, so a metric version of the GH600 is more suited to your needs, neither have a screwed on chuck so reversing the spindle is no problem.

Tony

Thread: Old Briggs & Stratton sparks
18/07/2023 11:33:31

I too have a manual but will need full details to get any further, also B & S spares suppliers have full diagrams of engine/ignition components.

Tony

Thread: a machinist making a knife
15/07/2023 12:55:03

For God's sake give the guy a break!!! A knife is only a tool and as for the comment 'I would prefer to use what modest skills and facilities I enjoy to benefit society!', what a sanctimonious twit is my politest retort. I will not bother to look at this thread any more.

Tony

Thread: Interference fit bearing sleeve
13/07/2023 09:08:22

As a practical engineer I immediately thought that a press fit will not work, others seem to be of the same opinion.Maybe Loctite a bush to the shaft and turn the O/D to size.

Tony

Thread: Lathe jam
12/07/2023 14:08:12

Dell, looks to me like there is enough clearance on the shoulder side.

Tony

11/07/2023 17:36:19

I presume you have a digital readout on the lathe or control, watch to see what position it is going to at each cut, that will give you a good idea what is going on, also speak to Rocketronics? You tool also needs sharpening

Tony

Thread: Oceangate structural failure
10/07/2023 11:17:38
Posted by Ady1 on 10/07/2023 11:15:01:

All new technology has risk.

The space shuttle. Round the world with Cook. The Wright brothers. The Comet passenger jet

If you want to get there first you have to take the risks

Our current culture tends towards safety instead of risk, so that Bloodhound project for instance is taking forever while earlier vehicle record attempts were pretty regular

It isn't new technology and you can't beat physics as I believe Mr Rush was told.

Tony

Thread: Boring a taper on a mill
08/07/2023 09:30:42

God what a trip down memory lane, last time I saw one of those in action must be 45 plus years ago in a small machine in Luton.

Tony

Thread: Rotary broaching
06/07/2023 12:42:39
Posted by Daniel Brannan on 06/07/2023 09:03:26:

So the results are in. It’s $815 for their cheapest model. And that’s before you’ve shipped and imported it to the uk. I don’t care how well it’s made - that’s overpriced

Holy cow that is very expensive BTW Hemingway do a kit for rotary broaching. The one I purchased from eBay had an undersized shank so was returned as 'not fit for purpose'

Tony

04/07/2023 17:30:36
Posted by old mart on 04/07/2023 17:27:35:

I made my broaches out of silver steel, hardened them and then put them at the top of the gas oven at regulo 9 on a teaplate. They just about got tempered enough to use, but the plate cracked.

Yes I used Silver steel but my little torch just could't get the broach hot enough.

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate