By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tramcars by Ashley Best in Model Engineer magazine
03/09/2010 14:56:25
I too, am enjoying the tram articles in ME even though they`re not my primary interest.
I emember when I must have been very young, having a ride on the trams on The Crumbles @ Eastbourne, a large flat beach - pebble area now built on and called Sovereign Harbour. I think the trams moved down to Seaton, (Dorset?)  I also remember more recent trips on Blackpool`s trams. Can vaguely remember rides on Brighton`s Trolleybuses. I think trolleys were the best of both worlds in having clean traction lacked by dirty diesel buses and the manouverability lacked by trams. Oh BTW, if you wonder how long ago all above was, I have got my bus pass!
Thread: wheels and loctite
31/08/2010 10:52:57
Hi all,
I remember a loco. construction series where the builder (Les Wharnett?) described initial machining of the portion of axle which would end up `inside` the wheel, to correctly
fit tightly, then M/C away the middle part to required diameter for the Loctite, leaving two lands about 1 / 32 nd inch each end of wheelseat as a guide to accurately locate wheel.
I am fairly sute it was the Lynton & Barnstaple loco described a few years ago in Eingineering In Miniature.
I would follow the above for ALL wheels or any other `shaft-in-a-hole.`  Where there is a twisting force as in Driving wheels or gears on a shaft, I would also use some sort of  pin,peg,wedge, spline or key - you know, the appropriate `mechanical` method of securing a shaft in a hole. 
Good luck, Bob,John.
Thread: David Clark
23/08/2010 09:41:37
I`m not looking for a check in the post but I will take this opportunity to thank David for all his efforts with both mags and this site -well done! Have taken ME since June,1962 and MEW from first issue, so have seen Editors come + go like politicians but the current one is the best by far.Long may you stay, David!
Thread: Fitting a DRO to a verticle mill
23/08/2010 09:34:28
Hi  Bob,
Why dont you ask Allendale? I`m sure they would be only to pleased to advise.
John

Thread: Which Milling Machine?
21/08/2010 16:43:32
Hi David,
Go to -
                  www.lathes.co.uk

+ select "Sharp" mill. You will see fotos of what I have got - it takes Myford collets, has Myford mandrel thread, table takes tee bolts on vert. slide. ( I recently used vert slide on table for special purpose.)  My "Sharp" has OEM powered table drive and stand.
This site will give detailed descriptions numerous mills + lathes+fotos.
Good luck,
John.
Thread: Don Young 0-6-0 "Aspinal"
21/08/2010 16:21:07
Hullo David,
I think Don described his Aspinall design in his own mag., "Locomotives Large And Small"
John
Thread: Making springs 2
16/08/2010 13:02:03
May I suggest you enquire if Squires of Bognor, West Sussex have any thing suitable. No connection, just satisfied customer. They do quite a thick heavy Catalog. Strange sort of shop - 1/2 is needlework etc, 1/2 is all sorts, wire, screws pliers and various hand tools rather like Proops or other miscellaneous bits stalls one sees @ exhibitions.
Good luck,
John.
Thread: Forum Posts Obscured by Advertisments
12/08/2010 22:23:44
When I click on  the more items for sale, I find the black characters od date/time/advertisers name are obscured by the blue lettering naming actual items for sale.
Can

someone please do something about this?
12/08/2010 22:23:43
When I click on  the more items for sale, I find the black characters od date/time/advertisers name are obscured by the blue lettering naming actual items for sale.
Can

someone please do something about this?
Thread: Actual diameter of 13/16" die holder in wrench
11/08/2010 09:23:15
Hi Frank,
All my various sized / makes dies fit in the various makes diestocks with space to spare - sort of slack fit. Also my double -ended tailstock die-holder from GLR, holds dies with a bit of room to spare.
My usual method is to chamfer end of rod/bar in 3 jaw. I tighten central screw which opens up die and loosely screw up the 2 side screws. Threading jollop on end of work and start the threading. After  say 3 turns, unscrew die from T/S holder, release from chuck and mount work vertically in bench vice and fit Die Stock to die to continue. After removing die from work, try screwing work in to female thread or try fitting a nut. If good fit, job done. If to tight, slack off centre screw and tighten 2 side screws and start again using Die - Stock.
Sorry if this sounds long-winded but I have only explained in  minute detail my successful method which is small improvement on what I was taught at school.
Hope this helps.
John 
Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
06/08/2010 15:34:47
SEGB,
Carpal tunnel Syndrome can be operated upon, so given that there is no reason for PR not to have an operation, he could get this fixed - I know another  model engineer who has.
John.
Thread: bioler makers
29/06/2010 15:18:02
Use a reputable mak e.g., Helen @ Western Steam.
29/06/2010 15:17:55
Use a reputable mak e.g., Helen @ Western Steam.
Thread: Help with making small counterbores
11/06/2010 11:56:23
Hi all,
Whats wrong with using an endmill or slot drill to scrape a small amount of taper down to a flat - bottomed hole? It may be technicaly "wrong" but if it does the job, why worry or amI missing something? Can anyone please explain why not?
Thread: Low rev. dynamo
11/06/2010 11:41:24
Hi all,
I noticed Roger Hart`s comment about low frequency ac. I do realise that oyu need pressure in the form of enough Volts to overcome resistance in the human body nad if Volts high enough can be dangerous BUT as I understand it, so can low frequency ac.
Possibly, lower volts than mains voltage, coupled with lower than mains frequency, could be a killer - be very careful!
Not sure, but I think thats how the electric chair used in USA works - gradual reduction of frequency.
John. 
Thread: Milling collet arbor jammed in milling machine
04/06/2010 16:24:01
Julian,
Further to prev. post,  Taller nut at top so spanner fits without being obstructed by rivetted cross-pin. I milled small flats on 3 corners of large hex to start tap drill, giving thicker metal to receive the grubs.
Spanners on the 2 visble hex nuts and twist, causes drawbar to shove the MT forward
 out of its socket.
John.
04/06/2010 16:19:05
Julian,
"Been there, done that"
My long-term solution as follows.
Trapped nut system works like a dream - try it!
I made new drawbar with nut just touching top of mill spindle, remove, cross-drill + pin.
Large AF hex bar bored out to fit over top of mill spindle and locked on to it with 3AAllen key grubscrews.The rest of it drilled right thro` clearing size for drawbar thread. Make new smaller AF nut, taller than standard, fit  on top end D-bar + wind down to just touch top of large AF nut, cross-drill + pin.
John 
Thread: Myford dividing head
19/05/2010 15:14:46
The 2 arms are meant to be locked together at a spacing of however many holes required + 1 for plunger, exactly as Jason B has said. Reason is so that the 2 locked arms can be swung round so that other finger touches plunger then plunger moved around and inserted against other arm -  a quick and foolproof way of counting holes.

Thread: Cutting Bevel Gears
24/04/2010 22:39:12
Hi macmarch,
I bet someone, somewhere, is flogging that book on ebay for much less than £60. Give it a try.
John.
Thread: Pop-up for digital.
22/04/2010 23:46:54
I get that pop-up every time I try to view posts. Am getting a little tired of it especially as its of no interest.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate