By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Drabble

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Drabble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
14/01/2019 14:16:40

Early last November I noticed that in two weeks time there was a model engineering show in centre of Cologne in Germany I fancied which would be a four day job ( day to travel , two days in exhib and day return ) .Return flights from Stanstead , £19.93 ; 2 day pass , on a par with English shows ; Cologne airport 18mins bus journey from centre ; nearby hotel cheaper than Travelodge . So then , all looking good UNTIL I checked return train fair Doncaster- Stanstead .....more than 5 times cost of air fare ! Killed trip stone dead .

Thread: ER Collets
11/12/2018 13:12:29

Kiwi , You may be interested in visiting the site of D&J Workholding in Oxon who are able supply ranges of different quality collets . No connection with company other than a very satisfied customer. Trevor .

Thread: The new talking Mercedes
15/11/2018 23:46:58

Many years ago , when the rear wiper motor on a VW Polo belonging to a work colleague failed I agreed to fix it for her . At that time it was a dealer-only part and so ordered one from local VW dealer . When on collection I complained at the £105 asking price I was told that if I thought that was expensive , then to remember that the same item was fitted throughout the VAG range ,and that the price increased according to which vehicle it was fitted to .

Thread: 1-2K Which Mill?
12/10/2018 20:33:08

Quillstar ( Nottingham) Boxford VM30 £1250 ; Emco FB2 £1750 ; Emco Mentor £1450 . Trevor.

Thread: Milling/drilling spindle
01/10/2018 13:37:44

Steve , Bit of a long shot , but although he's now retired from the model engineering business , Mr Jackson of Arrand ( 01664 454566 ) MAY just have one of his excellent spindles available from his old stock . Trevor .

Thread: Motor needed
30/09/2018 22:26:14

Mark , Sent you a PM . Trevor .

Thread: New WD40 Can
30/09/2018 12:26:32

I find Double TT by Tetrosyl much more versatile , better at the jobs it does and cheaper than WD 40 .

Thread: non slotted screws
29/09/2018 01:22:35

Use Technifast drive pins of they are not to be removed . Trevor.

Thread: Vertex BS-0 dividing head ?
25/09/2018 18:39:48

Stephen , I have a Vertex rotary table and am generally pleased with it . Please be aware however , there were some mistakes in the division table , but corrected versions have been published . Not sure if this situation applies to the BSO product .

Trevor.

Thread: Recommended plastic to clad a lean-to workshop
17/09/2018 13:35:24

c_b . Given the properties of the various materials you will be using , what fire prevention measures will you be installing please ? Trevor .

Thread: ML10 - ready for the boneyard?
31/07/2018 12:15:02

Andrew , Malcolm of Myford Beeston told me you could not regrind the bed because ,unlike the 7 series , the cast end bracket would not allow the lead screw to be repositioned following the regrind . Must admit , I didn't question it but simply took his word for it .

Ignatz , Maybe worth seeking the opinions of the 2 ex-Myford service engineers who have been mentioned several times on this site , assuming they still working ?

Trevor.

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 31/07/2018 12:16:53

Thread: Not a model engineer looking for mill advice
24/07/2018 23:10:01

Muzzer , It's rare to be so appreciated , thank you . Trevor.

24/07/2018 18:17:33

Patryk , Just to throw a curved ball into the mix and to give you food for thought , Axminster Power Tools sell similar machines to Arc plus have a usefu page of information to help with milling machine selection . Also , Quilstar near Nottingham usually have a good selection of used , value for money machines available . No connection with either other than as a previously satisfied customer . Trevor.

Thread: How to machine an ellipse
16/07/2018 12:26:02

The turning of an ellipse is a regular feature of ornamental turning , and is usually done using a Holtzapffel Ellipse chuck or similar . Search the above terms to yield a wealth of information .

Thread: Macgregor digimac transmitter receiver crystals 3
16/07/2018 01:13:33

Ripmax sell 27Mhz crystals , which are available from many model shops . Their web page lists local suppliers .

Thread: Electronics assistance - reduction of output DC voltage
22/06/2018 16:33:10

Component Shop may even suggest 2 of these units connected in parallel and fed through a P103 Power Board ( £14.50 ) , which is available from their associate company , Action Electronics . Though since I am not electronically minded this may not be feasable .Trevor

22/06/2018 15:04:44

May I suggest you speak with Component Shop ( 01248 719353 ) . They produce 2 high power voltage reducers ( 10.5v/40v or 16/40v input) each of which will easily give you the 3 volts and will handle up to 7 amps (8amps with addition ventilation ) and they only cost £8.95 each . They may even be able to supply higher capacity units to order . Hope this helps . Trevor

Thread: Groz metal Bender
18/06/2018 18:05:58

The quality of my Groz is absolute rubbish . As soon as I tried to work it with anything of substance both the rack and the clamp plate bent so easily that it went straight back in box , where it has ostensibly remained ever since . Must get round one of these days to slinging it into the scrap bin .

Thread: Brakes..?
07/05/2018 08:46:03

In the past I have found Mashlin Friction of Sheffield very helpful . I have no connection with the company .

Trevor.

Thread: Bridgeport Mill - Convert to 240v Single Phase
26/04/2018 23:48:57

I would suggest you also talk with Direct Drives on 01623 720710 . They also have a useful web page . I have no connection with the company .

Trevor .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate