By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Hinkley

Here is a list of all the postings John Hinkley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steady Rest principles.
19/01/2023 14:04:28
Posted by Clive Foster on 19/01/2023 09:53:19:

Alternatively a couple of small ball bearings ought to work just as well as a V cut out. (Cue 600 post discussion as to weather (sic) bearings are better than pads!)

Should I ever need to make a large steady I'll try doing it that way. I have a vague memory of seeing a picture or published design along these lines, possibly based on two steel rings welded together with suitable spacers between.

Clive

Do you mean something like this,Clive?

travelling steady.jpg

Pretty poor quality pictured, snipped from the YouTube video that I made of the accessory.  A clearer and fuller description is in the video itself and there's a write-up in MEW, too, issue 287 November2019 pages 9 to 15 . The capacity goes from about Ø5mm to a smidgen over 90mm. I used the ball bearings as an experiment and the swinging arm arrangement for the adjustment was chosen to combat the "long finger" problem mentioned above. The steady featured is a travelling one but a similar design would be equally suited to a fixed version. In fact, using the ball bearings would be better suited to a fixed rest, in my opinion.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 19/01/2023 14:05:53

Thread: Simple PCB layout software
16/01/2023 11:18:40

John,

There is a program called Eagle produced by Autodesk which allows a personal use free download in the style of Fusion 360 from the same stable. The web site states :

" EAGLE free download is a limited version for hobbyists including 2 schematic sheets, 2 signal layers, and an 80cm2 (12.4in2) board area."

I have no idea what any of that means, but it might be worthy of further investigation. The target market for the unfettered version is presumably commercial so will no doubt have the bells and whistles that you are after.

John

Thread: Sourcing Small Bevel Gears
15/01/2023 09:30:09

Trevor,

Not the tooth count you specify, but numerically the same metric Module 0.8 available here which is within a gnat's crochet of the DP you ideally want and you did say metric would be OK/nice.

Not exactly local, either, but the page linked to gives the dimensions of the pairs and this page will take you to a choice of other MOD pairs with similar dimensioned drawings. Not stupid cheap, but then bevel gears seldom are.

Good luck with your search.

John

Thread: What has model/hobby engineering taught you? (other than the obvious of how to make stuff)
08/01/2023 09:43:46

I thought that I'd learnt to "measure twice and cut once", but it seems that I haven't if my experience yesterday is anything to go by! Hours of work and some material wasted. And all my own stupid fault. But, you know what, I won't be making (that particular) mistake again. It opens up fresh avenues for me to make newer, better and more elaborate mistakes.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 08/01/2023 10:04:39

Thread: Unknown measuring device
06/01/2023 13:13:53

Here you go .....

BSA Tinsley

John

06/01/2023 13:02:47

Well, sort of. It seems that it uses a magnetic head which you place on the surface and draw it away against the spring. The force required to release the magnetic head is proportional to the thickness of the coating.

John

Edit.  Tried linking to the Google result, but the iPad didn't like it.  I'll do it again on the main computer, if you can't find it.

Edited By John Hinkley on 06/01/2023 13:07:02

06/01/2023 12:38:55

According to the first hit on a Google search:

"The Tinsley Thickness Gauge dry-film thickness measurement is designed for measuring the dry-film thickness of any non-magnetic material such as paint, plastic, etc., or plating such as zinc or chromium over a ferrous base (iron or steel)."

The picture which is alongside this quote shows a virtually identical instrument.

John

Edit spelling

Edited By John Hinkley on 06/01/2023 12:39:46

Thread: M10 x 1.0 Fine
01/01/2023 11:23:48

Vic,

That offer is for taper thread plugs. Is that what you are after? I would have thought that a spring retainer would need a parallel thread.

Thread: Creating a set of changewheels
01/01/2023 10:52:11

When this question comes upon the forum, I always recommend Geardxf download, a freeware program from forestmoon.com. It not only gives all the gear dimensions you will ever need, but covers DP and MOD gears too and you can export the results to dxf file, as the name implies.

John

edit: corrected hyperlink

Edited By John Hinkley on 01/01/2023 10:55:52

Thread: I found this old car but what is it?
29/12/2022 22:34:28

My guess is that is what remains of a Ford Y-type. The A-frame front suspension with the ball joint attachment to the rear location was very much 'de rigeur' when I was building my sporting trials car in the 1970s.

John

P.S. If you're thinking of rebuilding it, it looks like it could do with a bit of welding.

Thread: Magazine photo placement.
29/12/2022 16:13:44

Whilst I appreciate the frustration expressed by the OP, any aspiring author can ask Neil for the contributors notes - running to some 9 pages - which, if adhered to, would assist the editor in the layout of the submitted article. I only have the notes for MyTimeMedia contributions dated 2014, but I would think that the Mortons Media guidelines follow much the same principles.

John

Thread: Simulation of toolpaths in Fusion 360 - personal version
29/12/2022 08:00:58

Jason,

Brilliant! That's exactly what I'd done. As Captain Mainwairing would say, "I wondered when somebody would notice that!"

Thanks a bunch , I can get back to pedalling the keyboard again, now.

John

28/12/2022 22:57:15

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try again tomorrow morning having slept on it.

John

28/12/2022 20:53:21

I have just finished a project and moved on to another on which I have considerable time on some designs and saved the STEP files for loading into Fusion 360. I have done this many times previously and used the simulation facility in Fusion to check the toolpaths prior to generating G-Code. I needed to alter a file to correct a couple of small errors but when I selected "simulation" from the menu, all I got was the simulation pane, without the playback panel at the bottom of the screen. Does anybody know if this facility has been removed from the free (non-commercial) version or have I forgotten a vital step?

John

Thread: Emco Unimat 3 Threading tool
28/12/2022 09:52:50

Andrew F,

If as you say, the lathe is already fitted with an electronic leadscrew, surely you're all set to go. The major problem from my point of view would be obtaining, or more likely, grinding suitable tools to cut an ACME thread of 3mm diameter. Left or right hand threads are a breeze with the ELS.

John

Thread: QCTP Identification
22/12/2022 09:23:58

+1 for the wedge-type. I have had both the piston and wedge for my lathe. I bought the piston type first when I didn't know any better - probably because it was cheaper - and soon regretted it. I had to make a new cam to get the original holders to grip and later purchases of tool holders from a different source all had to be fettled to fit. An Arc-supplied wedge toolpost has performed faultlessly from day one and, as Diogenes says, supplementary holders purchased later, all fit without mucking about.

My ½ pennyworth.

John

Thread: Bridgeport milling machine Series 1 wiring diagram
20/12/2022 11:03:28

Hello, Russ,

I don't know if this will help, but it's a diagram, apparently published in ME, which came up in a Google image search for your machine. There doesn't appear to be a transformer in the circuit and looks to me to be a home-brewed diagram, rather than one lifted from an "official" source. Perhaps a Bridgeport owner on here will be along soon to give you the 'proper' info you need.

bridgeport wiring diagram

I note that the mains input is 115V AC, so that would probably explain the lack of transformer!

Regards,

John

Thread: Cad software for dummies.
14/12/2022 12:53:17

Peter,

You have chosen a sensible pastime for the winter. It'll take most of it to become proficient in any CAD program. However, if as has been said above, all you want to do is draw simple line drawings with or without dimensions, free drawing programs are readily available. Like you, I was around 70 when I started using the computer to make drawings for the workshop. I started with LibreOffice Draw in the LibreOffice suite of free software - itself an off-shoot from OpenOffice, but quickly migrated to the free version of QCAD for its enhanced features and ease of use. Much impressed by it, I purchased the Pro version and continue to use it to this day with a paid annual subscription. In 2018 I followed the Alibre Atom tutorial series in MEW and downloaded the extended six month trial version available alongside the articles. I found it relatively easy to pick up with help from a number of respondents on this forum, notably Jason Bellamy and David Jupp. I used it to great effect when one of my designs won me a 3D router and in order to use this machine and to produce g-code, I also dabbled with Fusion 360 (the non- commercial, free version). I still use a combination of these programs to this day. First, I lay down my ideas for a project in Alibre, so as to "see" my thoughts in 3D, then use it to manipulate and fine tune the design. After that, I export the drawings to DXF files which I lay out and dimension in QCAD (because I am much more used to it and can produce better-looking drawings with it!). If I need to produce g-code for the router, Alibre allows export to STEP files which then go into Fusion for processing and post-processing.

So, there you have it. As Mike Hurley said early in the thread, you'll get 101 answers to your query. Actually 102, if you include mine and everyone has their own favourite program. These just happen to be mine.

I hope I've not muddied the waters further for you. Take your time to find one that you're happy with and stick with it. I'm sure you'll get there in the end - but bear in mind it's often a steep learning curve, especially if, like me, you've had no technical drawing training at school or in industry.

Best of luck,

John

Thread: Source of scale people
13/12/2022 09:33:45
Posted by duncan webster on 12/12/2022 22:44:05:

There's an outfit called modelu who do figures up to 1/19th scale, it might be worth sending an email to see if he'd do 1/12th.he used to offer a service to 3d scan you, so you could have a mini-me driving your loco, or fire engine in this case. If it works out get back as I need a figure for the front of my fairground organ

I have a vague recollection of our esteemed editor having this done and a 3D print made for one of his projects. Not sure whether I read it on this forum, in the magazine - or possibly I dreamt it!

John

Ed. Spelling/grammar

Edited By John Hinkley on 13/12/2022 09:34:46

Thread: R8 Tooling for Warco Super Major Mill
11/12/2022 10:06:39

Martin,

I use an ER25 or ER32 collet chuck in my Warco VMC mill. When daylight under the quill is in short supply, I use R8 collets directly in the spindle, but I don't suppose I've used them more than a handful of times in my ownership of the mill, about 7 years and even then I've think I've only used one or two out of the set. I'd go for an ER collet first and buy R8 collets as dictated by the particular job requirement. I have to admit that I work to tolerances way over the NASA requirement and ER25/32 works fine for me. Never checked for run out.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate