By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Maurice Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Maurice Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Replacing a 24V AC machine lamp
18/06/2022 22:53:45

Hi ,this lamp holder is for sale on ebay , 24 volt ac bulbs for sale on Amazon . Nice easy job.

Maurice

Thread: Proxxon Micromot 60 Drill Went BANG!!!!
07/06/2022 19:03:50

Hi Richard ,I can see why the plug was inserted wrong, It’s a bad design ,if the pins were the same length ,it would not fit the wrong way.

Maurice

07/06/2022 18:37:25

Hi Richard ,thank you for the photos.

Maurice

07/06/2022 17:52:16

Hi,could you please put a clear picture of the plug and socket on .

I have thought about getting one of these.

Maurice

Thread: Time to Say Goodbye
09/05/2022 09:04:15

Hi, I have both issues upto date and can read all back issues of MEW and ME back to 4154.

using Pocketmags and 7 year old mini ipad

Maurice

Thread: late posting to pocketmags
07/05/2022 11:57:20

Hi, got email yesterday , downloaded mag this morning

Maurice

Thread: Need to cut long thin strips of steel (& plastic) - e.g. with an angle grinder?
25/01/2022 23:27:18

Hi, My angle grinder doesn’t tug sideways ,you have to practise on scrap first .What sort of angle grinder do you have ?

Maurice

22/01/2022 20:06:38
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/01/2022 19:01:53:

It's because I'm wrong Maurice!

My metal cutting discs are 3mm, which was the thinnest on sale in my local Builders Merchant. I assumed they were the thinnest available - silly me.

blushblushblush

Very educational this forum!

Ta,

Dave

Hi Dave , Thanks for your reply, regarding the 3mm discs ,I agree with your angle grinder comment.

Maurice

22/01/2022 18:36:19
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/01/2022 14:33:54:...

Better than a hacksaw, No. The Dremel Angle Grinder isn't a precision tool. They're good for fast hacking not accurate cutting. Mine is the same size as Dremel and I use it on paving slabs, to chop lumps of metal into approximate shape, and demolitions! Based on earlier answers, an Angle Grinder isn't fit for purpose. Could be used to rough out metal which would have to be considerably cleaned up by other tools.

The Dremel multi-tool is slow, but used carefully it's capable of accurate work. Based on earlier answers, the multi-tool is a runner.

In summary:

• Angle grinder: fast, noisy, messy, broad rough cuts. Inaccurate.
  • Hacksaw: slow, quiet, narrow cuts, accurate in skilled hands, or with a jig.
  • Dremel Multi-tool: slow, slightly noisy, versatile, good for fine cutting, delicate grinding, polishing, and small diameter drilling. Much favoured for delicate accurate work, skill required.
  • Not available: a small cheap tool for unskilled users that quickly makes precision burr-free straight steel strips!

Compromise or buy a big expensive tool.

Dave

Hi, Can you please explain why an angle grinder is messy ,has broad rough cuts and is inaccurate.

Have you ever used a 4.5inch with a 1mm blade on steel sheet ,this will cut accurately.

Maurice

20/01/2022 13:58:13

Hi. Now your steel is cut ,you can mount it in a vice and draw file to the correct size,with care you will get a good finish, at no cost.

By the way ,what is a slam dunk

Maurice

19/01/2022 14:03:01

Hi, why don’t you use your Dremel and see if it works instead of keep asking others.

Maurice

Thread: Digital subscription offer
07/01/2022 18:42:21
Posted by Stuart Smith 5 on 07/01/2022 09:34:56:

Maurice

I can also open all the old ones on my 5 year old iPad Air 2 using Google Chrome browser. (They won’t open using the Safari browser).

I have realised this is because I haven’t updated Chrome to the latest version.

I suspect yours is the same, so if you want to carry on getting access, don’t update it!

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/01/2022 09:37:04

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/01/2022 09:38:20

Hi,Stuart Thank you for the advice

Maurice

07/01/2022 09:29:16

Hi, I subscribed to both £10 offers before Christmas .I can read all MEWs and all MEs on my 7 year old Ipad, but not on my Android tablet.

Maurice

Thread: Controlled release of a Clarke Bottle Jack fitted to an engine building stand
06/01/2022 16:42:26

Hi,I would thread or weld a nut on to the above part .Then get a ring spanner ,cut it and extend it,your hand would be out of the way while operating the jack. Hope this helps . I always look for easiest ,cheapest way ,as long as its safe. Please all feel free to criticise.

Maurice

Thread: Help with car boot finds
14/11/2021 16:14:01

Hi, I’ve recently cleaned rusty tools in white vinegar ,soak overnight or longer ,then use wire brush ,steel wool or scotchbrite .

Maurice

Thread: UK fires up old coal power plant as gas prices soar
07/11/2021 09:46:07

Hi, **LINK**     gridwatch uk

Maurice

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 07/11/2021 09:47:18

Thread: Wanner grease-gun thread ?
02/11/2021 19:34:26

Hi,I made a new end for a grease gun and the thread was 1/8 bsp ,this is 0.383 in dia and 28 tpi . The same as what you have measured.

Drill a hole ,tap it 1/8bsp and see if it fits.

Maurice

Thread: Small Hydraulic Press Tools
03/10/2021 18:24:37

This looks easy to scale down and make as bench press. It also has the workpiece at the bottom ,safer in my opinion .Looks like it can be made without welding.

Maurice

8ef90af4-43a7-462c-876e-3f232b7b2dba.jpeg

Thread: Saving the Planet … or is it ?
27/09/2021 13:58:15

Hi, I remember Methane being pumped from fractured shale strata down coal mines more than 50 years ago,the strata fractured as the face moved forward . Holes were bored into the strata above the face ,pipes inserted and gas collected and pumped to the surface. This was at a depth of 2500 feet.

I can’t remember it ever affecting drinking water

Maurice

Thread: Solar Panel Slew bearing, van hub?
21/09/2021 20:50:24

Hi, this unit contains the bearing .If you mount the side with 4 bolts to the static side of your pole and the side with 5 wheel studs to the panel side, Your panel will turn on the bearing.

This type of bearing is used on other 4x4 as well ,so should be very cheap at breakers yard.

Maurice

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate