By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lambton

Here is a list of all the postings Lambton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford S7 Gearbox Variations
04/04/2016 08:24:26

**LINK**

Have a look at this link which explains the difference.

Thread: Perpendicular Drilling
29/03/2016 07:35:08

Daniel,

If you want to produce a truly perpendicular hole in a block of material such you illustrate I do not think you will ever be able to do it with the type of drill press that you have for all the reasons stated by others about table deflection.

I would mount the block on the lathe faceplate, centre pop the hole position then using a wiggler and DTI to get it aligned with the lathe axis. Drill the hole from the tailstock. Start the hole with a modern spotting drill (rather than the traditional centre drill who's centre could break off) and open the hole with progressively larger drills.

Of course if you have a Bridgeport then use that!

Thread: piston rings vs. silicone o-ring
25/03/2016 16:53:56

The late Arnold Throp of Dore Engineering and author of "Vertical Milling in the Workshop" published some articles on the application of O rings in model engineering in ME September and October 1964. These articles were collected together in a booklet and sold by Dore Engineering for 3 shillings (15p) I still have my copy.

Thread: Stuck Dial Gauge
25/03/2016 16:38:27

Try GT85 it removes old oil and debris an lease a film of PTFE (it is not at all like WD40). I have got several stuck DTIs working perfectly using GT85 and some TLC.

Thread: Grinding wheel ..balancing hole?
23/03/2016 11:30:16

I recommend every one mounting and using abrasive wheels of all kinds to get a copy of HSE publication "Safety in the use of Abrasive Wheels " HSG17

It can be downloaded free from the HSE web site. It contains all you need to know about the correct selection, use and mounting of all types of abrasive wheel and is most certainly not a "nanny knows best" publication.

Thread: Bandsaw blade base
21/03/2016 08:25:52

Fit in a piece of MDF that can be changed easily and as often as necessary. This will also save a little wear on the band saw blade.

Thread: Model Engineer – Editorial direction
16/03/2016 09:46:58

Diane and Stewart

"Diane tells us that she produces the ME single handed and I quite accept this .

In this case what are all the other people listed on the first page of every ME doing?"

I had no ulterior motive for asking this question. It is my way to ask for explanations or clarifications when I do not fully understand things rather than just guess at the answer.

Diane has kindly given a very clear answer for which I thank her.

Eric

Thread: Test the team
15/03/2016 15:13:29

Molesworth ah! I have a copy of his pocket book.

Thread: Model Engineer – Editorial direction
15/03/2016 11:27:25

Bill,

" I'm not sure that the industrial revolution would be in MEs time span."

In the last 20 years or so we have experienced another industrial revolution in which we stopped manufacturing virtually everything and began buying what we used to make from the Far East.

The problem is that manufacturing follows the cheapest labour rates.

15/03/2016 07:48:00

Diane tells us that she produces the ME single handed and I quite accept this .

In this case what are all the other people listed on the first page of every ME doing?

I refer to people with titles such as such as Technical Assistant, Production Designer, Illustrator, Retouching Manager, Ad Production, Head of Design and Production, etc.

Thread: ML7R/Bearing 'Rumble'
14/03/2016 13:44:54

John,

"I just can't see some one adjusting the rear bearing each time the scraping is checked "

Nor can I but Myford used a dummy rear bearing whilst scraping the front bearing. This dummy one was presumably a plain bearing that was a good sliding fit over the spindle.

Eric

13/03/2016 12:25:23

John,

"It looks like one of two things to me. Bearings not correctly adjusted which means that the spindle will tilt during turning more than it needs too causing more wear to the front of the cone "

I agree with your reasoning however I am sure the scraping at the rear of the bush is the original Myford work.

My reason for saying this is my Super 7 has exactly the same scraping type of marks and I know for certain sure that no one has ever touched this bearing since it left the factory.

Before CNC machining became the norm hand scraping of bronze bearings for precision fits was standard engineering practice which not only produced a high standard of fit but also left the small depressions caused during the scraping process to act as mini oil reservoirs.

Eric

Thread: Tubal Cain broke my taps...
05/03/2016 17:00:15

In Tubal Cain's book Drills, Taps and Dies (Workshop Practice Series No 12) he states clearly tapping drill No 49 for 8BA.

I know he was a remarkable man but did not realise he still operated from beyond the grave.....

Thread: ML7R/Bearing 'Rumble'
04/03/2016 19:27:04

John,

"One oddity I notice with my S7 is when I lift the sprung loaded top of the oil cup I can see the oil level suddenly start to fall".

Exactly the same thing happens on my S7. I am sure that John is correct , the rotation of the shaft creates a small change in pressure down the hole containing the wick and spring. I take this as a sign the lubrication system is working correctly as designed and the spindle adjustment at the front cone bearing is correct.

Since buying an oil gun capable of actually forcing oil trough Myford oil nipples I have found that over lubrication of the rear bearings makes then noisy (even brand new ones) at about 1000 rpm until the excess oil has drained away. I have changed the relevant oil nipple for a flip top gravity feed type and apply just a few drops of oil a few times each turning session.

Eric

04/03/2016 13:34:30

Jonathan,

I have sent you a PM Please check your inbox, located on the top green band,that should be flashing

Eric

Thread: machining 2 BA thread
04/03/2016 13:22:18

Phil,

Do as Nobby suggests.

If you use a good quality tail stock die holder you will be OK. There is no point in trying to screw cut any BA threads by "normal" methods. the posh way to cut them is to used a Coventry die head.

Eric

Thread: Tailstock height
04/03/2016 09:56:46

John,

Neat idea but will only give a true reading if both the main lathe chuck and the tailstock drill chuck are perfectly accurate.

Unfortunately both these types of chuck usually have errors. You could of course take a number of readings with the chucks rotated a bit and find the average.

Eric

03/03/2016 17:49:56

John,

"Running dti's around the inside of a morse socket sucks - it can give a decent reading and still be well out of alignment."

Can you please explain your reasoning on this /

Stephen,

A Myford tailstock should not be "higher" than the head stock to my understanding. Why do you think it should be?

Eric

02/03/2016 10:37:58

Martin,

A few suggestions that you may have tried already;

Check that the center in the head stock is running true using your DTI. Possible problems scored headstock socket/centre or center point not concentric with the Morse taper. Do the same for the tail stock.

Try putting a soft center in the head stock and trimming it up with the top slide set over to produce the correct angle then re test the tail stock alignment. This procedure is standard engineering practice before turning between centers.

With your DTI in the chuck test the tailstock empty socket a few mms down inside the bore.

Only start to remove metal from the T/S casings as a very last resort.

The problem may be inherent with the way the lathe was made and assembled in the Far East where standards of accuracy may be seen as secondary to price. This is why Myford and Boxford lathes cost far more than budget priced imports.

Thread: Centre of a cylinder casting.
01/03/2016 14:03:46

George,

Start by cleaning up the outer surfaces of the castings using a file etc. to get rid of any flash or "knobbles" etc. Then plug the hole with wood just short of each end of the cylinder. Finishing the ends of the wood with car body filler which is then smoothed down flush with the cylinder ends. Then use a scribing block and rule (or better still the centre finding head of a combination set) to find the center and mark it on each end. It is best to do this very lightly with a sharp pencil to begin with. Once you are happy that you have found the centers then mark them more heavily. As Neil says it is important to get the outside i.e. visible parts looking right and so work from them and not the cast-in hole which may be well out of center. The wooden plug and thin layer of body filler can be knocked out carefully once the casting has been set up for machining.

Eric

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate