Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford S7 Gearbox Variations

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glyn Davies03/04/2016 22:38:06
146 forum posts
56 photos

Hi. I've just noticed that there seem to be two variations of the screwcutting gearbox. The difference being in the form of the right hand side of the main body casting.

Does anyone know if there are other differences internally in the gearbox and why did Myford change the casting?

Cheers

Lambton04/04/2016 08:24:26
694 forum posts
2 photos

**LINK**

Have a look at this link which explains the difference.

Brian Wood04/04/2016 09:12:04
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Otley,

A little more information to add to the link Lambton has sent you

The change in the later gearboxes moved that last reduction gearing to the input side of the gearbox where it can be seen half hidden behind a teardrop shaped aperture in the rear half of the housing from which the change wheel door is mounted. I imagine the change was made to allow the carriage a bit more room when working close to the chuck.

Brian.

john fletcher 104/04/2016 09:17:10
893 forum posts

Years ago I bought a Super with a broken gear inside the gear box I didn't know when I bought it, byer beware ! When I contact Myford they said it was an early type and stopped stocking spare for that g/box. I looked in HPC gears book and they did stock the gear I needed, but, I think the bore was different size but that was no problem. John

Glyn Davies04/04/2016 10:00:40
146 forum posts
56 photos

gb2.jpg

gb1.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've attached two pictures showing the difference I was asking about. Both gearboxes have the input on the left side.

Edited By Otley on 04/04/2016 10:09:00

Edited By Otley on 04/04/2016 10:09:25

Brian Wood04/04/2016 16:21:02
2742 forum posts
39 photos

John Fletcher 1

The early Myford gearboxes were fitted out with unhardened gears and clutch parts, Myford altered the spec to include hardened components after they started getting claims for failures. So, they wouldn't have stocked those soft gears at the time you enquired

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate