By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stueeee

Here is a list of all the postings Stueeee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spares stock...
20/11/2020 11:18:45
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 20/11/2020 11:02:20:

Metal stock is my weakness, I tend to buy full bar lengths of the most popular sizes I need. I hate having to wait to start a job or machine down to size from a bigger section.

I'm not sure I'd count that as a weakness. Looking at the prices on eBay etc. for tiny lengths of material where you have to believe the seller's description of the spec. It's often possible to buy a full length from a stockholder for not much more money. But of course, there is the issue of the space to store it....

On the issue of spare parts, if they're not perishable and the price is right, then spares on the shelf are better than money in the bank earning 0.1 or such percent interest IMO.

Edited By Stueeee on 20/11/2020 11:21:08

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
11/11/2020 10:11:54
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 11/11/2020 09:31:34:
Posted by Lee Jones 6 on 11/11/2020 08:29:04:

Well this seems to have attracted more attention than I thought it would!

It's interesting to hear that this has been discussed before. That's a telltale sign that something isn't right.

That's a telltale sign that something isn't right - For 3 people out of 30 so far....

Perhaps any others who don't think the current arrangements are pure distilled perfection don't want to get flamed in this thread by those who do....

Thread: Myford Hammered Green Paint
08/11/2020 16:19:03
Posted by Hollowpoint on 02/11/2020 16:19:31:

I bought some if the Bitec stuff a few months back. It's fairly close to the Myford colour and slightly paler, more minty than the emco and startrite colours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110909459993

I've also bought this exact colour, can't comment re. Myford suitability, but it's a very close match to the hammer finish paint used by Smart & Brown on this 1977 Model "M" lathe.

Thread: Cutting oil ( Suds) resistant paint
04/09/2020 21:57:09

I've used both of these paints with good results, they're both available in any RAL or BS colour, and both seem to go on OK with a brush or a spraygun.

Arcforce

Tractol

Usual disclaimer, only a satisfied customer etc.

Edited By Stueeee on 04/09/2020 21:58:03

Thread: Welder buy
04/09/2020 10:08:21
Posted by J Hancock on 03/09/2020 14:53:44:

It is most important that the wire feed device on your MIG is of good quality. If the wheels that grip the wire are

'not true' then the wire is fed 'in jerks' resulting in poor welds.

Try the unit out 'in the shop' if you can before buying.

Decent wire feed is really important on a MIG welder. Some of the cheap units (my elder brother used to have one of these) didn't seem to have any voltage stabilisation on the wire feed, with the result that the arc wasn't stable. A problem he fixed by buying a decent 180A MIG.

Some quality machines have two pairs of rollers for the wire feed which allows a longer hose than the usual 3 metres. I have a 4 metre hose on my machine which is really convenient on larger jobs where otherwise it would be necessary to keep moving the welder nearer where you're actually welding.

A lot of combination MIG/TIG machines have a reasonably full set of MIG features, but only have lift or scratch start rather than HF (High Frequency) starting; Scratch start always seems to end up contaminating the tungsten in my experience. The gas, including any "pre flow" of gas including is controlled by a valve on the torch which will be permanently live when the machine is in TIG mode. I haven't seen a combination machine that does AC TIG, maybe not an issue if you can be sure that you will never need to weld Aluminium.

Edited By Stueeee on 04/09/2020 12:17:10

Thread: Logging in to MyBT
04/09/2020 08:17:46

Missed your update while I was typing....

04/09/2020 08:15:02
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/09/2020 07:24:00:

Slight digression:

I have received an eMail today ...

You'll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today

sender purports to be [email protected]

but I’m pretty sure it’s a fraud.

MichaelG.

UPDATE:

I have just typed [not clicked] the address in the eMail

it takes me here : https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-yahoo-update-settings

which suggests that it may be real ... just [typically] badly managed dont know

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 04/09/2020 08:06:16

It may not be... Did you receive the text of this email earlier in the year?

Hello
We're going to be updating your email service soon to improve reliability. Here are some things you need to know.
The Yahoo! Mail App
Once we have completed your email service update, the Yahoo! Mail app will no longer be supported and you will need to switch to our new BT Email app.
You will receive an email from us when you need to switch apps, along with instructions on how to do so.
If you are using other email applications
If you are using other email applications, then you will need to make a simple change to one of your settings. You can make this change now.
To do this, simply go to www.bt.com/help/emailsettings and follow the simple step-by-step instructions.
After we've updated your email service, you won't lose anything, but you won't be able to receive any new emails until you change your settings.
Need further assistance?
If you need any further assistance, our team of UK-based advisors are here to help on 0800 783 0214.
Best wishes,
BT Email team

This is part of BT's migration away from Yahoo servers that others have mentioned in this thread.

02/09/2020 22:02:18

You should be able to get this fixed if you can get put through to the right BT people; the ordinary fault clerks just have a script. Your MY BT password ought to be the same as your email one.

I had a similar issue about six months ago, and managed to get it fixed over the phone once I spoke to the UK based email people. they fixed the issue there and then despite the fact that they had a typo in their record of my mother's maiden name ( which is usually used as part of the online account recovery)

Thread: Computer Disaster! Help needed!
23/08/2020 12:41:56

Shift + F8 -recovery screen not appearing doesn't look good. If all else fails you should be able to see what data is readable off the disk with a USB connected SATA/IDE disk dock like this. HD Dock

Thread: Unidentified collet
16/08/2020 10:36:41

Looks like it could be a Schaublin E type collet. There's several size series of these.

Thread: Jobs
30/07/2020 21:46:16
Posted by Cabinet Enforcer on 30/07/2020 19:48:57:
Posted by Phil McAvity on 30/07/2020 19:34:36:

Thankfully, hobby engineers don't run the economy. dont know

I can't even begin to imagine the state of the NHS if it were run at the level of parsinomy extolled by the average hobby engineerlaugh

That's probably true, but at least you'd be able to get Loctite and Silver solder on prescription.wink

Thread: Jennying Machine
17/07/2020 16:22:11

What an excellent piece of kit, and well done you for saving it. Did you use a radius turning attachment to make the dies?

Coincidently, I've just finished re-working a modern Jenny/bead rolling machine. I bought it in the US several years ago and bought it back to the UK. It started out like this:

Despite being made of 15mm or so steel plate it still exhibited some flexing in use. Also I was clearly wearing out my welcome for handle turning duty from Sue, my partner. It's not a tool I have used a lot, but I have a vintage car restoration project coming up which will require a lot of panel work.

It ended up like this, The stiffening comes from 50 x 50 x 3mm RHS which has made a huge difference. The motor is a 24V unit from a stairlift. The further reduction gearing is by 2 sets of 1950s BMC engine timing gears operating via a jackshaft.

I fitted a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) speed controller too; the foot pedal switch hangs on the frame when it isn't in use.

Thread: Jig for hand tapping
17/07/2020 13:38:21

Home made tapping blocks work well on flat material as said. if you've drilled the hole on a curved surface the blocks won't be any help. This setup uses a spring loaded centre that fits in the rear of the tap, or in this case the rear of the tap wrench.

Thread: Britannia Lathe
06/07/2020 16:02:32
Posted by James Smith 22 on 05/07/2020 21:12:47:

Also does anybody know where i can buy replacement carbide tips for my insert tools? Dave said earlier to use HSS, can you get HSS inserts?

The insert tooling i have

Thanks

James

Most of those tools will take CCMT 0602xx inserts (the xx is the corner radius) like these: lEAAOSw7P9bdDwP">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCMT-060204-P20-30-Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-For-Machining-Turning-Steel/183380732175?hash=item2ab257e90f:glEAAOSw7P9bdDwP

Never seen HSS versions.

06/07/2020 13:57:01
Posted by James Smith 22 on 05/07/2020 15:11:27:

I've been using 15w 40 as a lubricant putting it on with an oil pot thingy.

Thanks

James

Multigrade motor oil isn't really suitable as a cutting lubricant. It has all sorts of additives that mitigate against the cutting action that you're aiming for with a lathe.

As others have said, I wouldn't use the power feeds until you are really confident of the lathe's capabilities. Training lathes that used to be commonplace in apprentice workshop facilities never had any power feeds for that very reason.

Thread: Where can I get a 3/4" strain relief bush?
15/06/2020 09:23:13

I've just run a 20mm x 1.5 tap when I've come across this issue, never needed to re-drill.

Although there's a slight divergence between the 1.5mm "new" pitch and the 16 TPI original, it's never been noticeable in the short length of thread where a gland etc. would screw into.

Thread: Non standard taps - what are they ?
03/06/2020 22:53:22
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 03/06/2020 20:04:36:

Don't some modern brake bleed screws use M7?

Yes they do but with the standard 1mm pitch and the standard 60 degree ISO thread angle. The Lowenherz thread uses a 53 degree 8 minute thread angle along with the odd pitch. Details here.....

Thread: Whatever happened to...
20/04/2020 19:54:08
Posted by Mick B1 on 20/04/2020 16:24:46:

Frizets!

They came in a box, as a bag of powder that you mixed with water to a thick pancake-mix consistency, and you dropped spoonsful into a hot pan, preferably of bacon fat, though Trex or Spry would do. They solidified into little fritters that you cooked till light brown.

I told Mummy that when I grew up and could eat what I liked, I'd have Frizets every day. Now nobody knows what they were. People put alleged recipes on the web, but I'd no more trust those than I'd try to make an atom bomb out of red mercury...

crying

Edited By Mick B1 on 20/04/2020 16:26:25

I remember cooking Frizets at scout camps back in the 60's. The troop's quartermaster must have bought a truckload of the stuff many years before as I don't remember ever seeing it in the shops at the time. I think that the extreme stickiness of the mixture -it was difficult to get it to drop off the spoon into the frying pan- was due to there being a fair amount of Gram flour (AKA Chickpea flour) in the recipe.

Thread: Paper Tube (Cardboard)
10/03/2020 21:34:04

Been reading this thread with interest. Just wondered why the OP hasn't considered using brass tube instead of paper for the home made cases. When I was a member of a wildfowling club many years ago one of the guys had an 8 bore gun. "Off the peg" cartridges for these hadn't been available in this bore for some time, but the owner had bought some 8 bore brass cases which could be reloaded many times.

Can't see that there would be a legal issue with the OP making pinfire cases, they don't become ammunition until they're capped and loaded by the end user.

I was surprised about the barrel failure with a home made blank. I produced a load of DIY 12 bore blanks for some poacher alarm mines by cutting round the inside of the crimp, pouring out the shot, filling the "cup" in the plaswad with tissue and waterproofing the cartridge with melted candle wax. I tried a few of these 2 1/2" cartridges in a 3" chambered 12 bore wildfowling gun before loading the rest of the blanks into my home made poacher mines. the gun barrel looked to be as clean as it would have been firing a "live" round.

Edited By Stueeee on 10/03/2020 21:35:25

Thread: Complicated post
06/03/2020 12:12:05

As a longtime Bridgeport user about to move up a size to an Ajax, can't make any useful comment about small milling machines. But in your situation i would definitely go for a machine with an R8 spindle. There is an enormous amount of tooling available in this format; and you can get R8 to MT 1,2 and 3 adapters which would allow you to use any of your lathe tooling in your mill.

BTW, that Beaver mill sounds like a bargain for someone, especially if it is the model with the 40 taper spindle.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate