By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for KWIL

Here is a list of all the postings KWIL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: No longer a free postage threshold at Arceurotrade?
10/05/2023 15:29:30

I do not seem to have any RM problems in NE Hants. Recently had 24 hour delivery from the Isle of Harris, Outer Hebridges. Couriers are OK as well.

Thread: For Sale Column
24/04/2023 09:05:16

Non ME ads have been displayed

Thread: Infrastructure Engineering
21/04/2023 09:29:24
Posted by Bill Dawes on 21/04/2023 09:20:53:

Out of interest I looked up the weight of the original mini, between half and three quarters of a ton, current ones about twice that depending on model.

Of course the original MINI was a car, now it is merely a BRAND created by BMW with no relationship at all to the orignal concept.

Thread: BT email and other
16/04/2023 15:51:50

I keep a password book just for that very reason

Thread: Yet another scam
13/04/2023 09:39:16

I do not put a telephone number on any order, if mandatory, then any 11 digits satisfies the vendor's computer, if they ask for a mobile its a mobile starting number + ooooooo.

Have not lost a parcel yet.

Thread: Increasing Machine Tool Height for Improved Ergonomics
12/04/2023 11:22:10

My Bridgeport is bolted to a separate "H" shaped channel section subframe, [ with a double cross bar], legs sideways,. Originally the legs carried wheels on a separate sub assembly and once in its final place, these were replaced by machine mounts for levelling. The original base of the mchine is now some 5 - 6" above the floor level.

The machine also has the wide head riser fitted. All front to back loads on the machine are within the footprint and side loads, even with the 48" table extended are adequately dealt with.

After all this I have air driven drawbar as the top of the head is quite high!!

Thread: Where to get M4 10mm square nuts
12/04/2023 10:52:17
Posted by John Reese on 12/04/2023 08:23:54:

Amazon

Brazil or internet?

Thread: An electrical puzzle.
12/04/2023 10:49:16

If I had to be on an all radial system I would need a room just to house the dis boards, having 6 ring mains to cover all the outlets. I do not believe in long trailing leads and adaptors so all rooms have ample double sockets within easy reach of where they are needed.

On the subject of the US (and Canada) their practise of using screwits, small cup shaped internally taper threaded to hold twisted wire joints is seriously old fashoined.

Thread: Thieves at Newark autojumble. - A Warning
06/04/2023 12:25:05

I have helped at exhibitions, only I was sited on the customer side where I could watch without being noticed.

Thread: A tool for sharpening milling bits.
26/03/2023 11:50:54

I have used a company called ABBCO in Nottingham for many years. Always used to leave a box of cutters with them on the way up to Harrogate ME Show.

Good and reasonably priced service.

Just a happy customer, no other connection.

Thread: State Pensions - Notification thereof.
26/03/2023 11:39:43

I have not had the problems with HMRC that others refer to, they do write to say I have over paid tax from time to time, I do not create an online account as requested , just merely wait for the cheque to arrive a few weeks later.

Thread: Pinstriping Tool in MEW
15/03/2023 10:15:23

Search for the tapes that car painters use, they are availble for various widths and you can curve some of them. As they are tight to the surface bleeding under is not a problem.

Thread: Eyelet setting(?) tool - how to use?
09/03/2023 11:27:47

Cousins uk Horological suppliers have a very wide range of pliers etc including Maun.

Thread: A photo for anyone who ever claimed a Myford wasn't a "Proper Industrial Lathe"
05/03/2023 13:22:25

My Myford Super 7 has been used at home for some limited run production jobs, my ML7 sits under its cover [now unused] in original condition, bought new condition around 60 years ago, my M300 again as new does eveything I need that the Myfords do not do. What more can I wish for?

Thread: What material to replace compound slide please?
22/02/2023 12:14:31
Posted by Dave Wootton on 21/02/2023 13:02:04:

P.S I've never worn a mask in 50 years of C.I machining, currently I must be worth something as scrap!

You must be very lucky, inhalation of fine carbon particles can inflict serious damage to your lungs leading to COPD, leading to a shorter lfe.

Thread: Headband magnifier - blessed relief!
10/02/2023 18:21:01

I have changed the the loupe to the "other side" s my left eye is my dominant one.

Thread: Engine for sale
10/02/2023 15:16:18
Posted by DMB on 08/02/2023 09:21:17:

It's in the Hove Engineerium which was up for sale @£3M for a long time but dont know how much the hooligans eventually paid. They're flogging off any of the old exhibits that they can. Beautiful Victorian pumping station. Exterior going to rack and ruin with brickwork needing repair/restoration and weed removal. Just my opinion based upon observation of the site

If you let it all go to rack and ruin, you then claim it is dangerous and needs to be demolished, bet the site is worth a mint for "redevolpement" !!

Thread: Jorg Hugel RIP
10/02/2023 14:46:43

I read in the latest SMEE Journal with great sorrow about the death of Jorg Hugel 1938-2022.

Jorg was Professor of Electrical Design at ETH Zurich, I met him at many ME Exhibitions, when as a SMEE member he joined us is his SMEE blue coat on the SMEE stand.

A true gentleman, a good conversation maker and with a wide/depth of knowledge of engineering and related matters.

Thread: Left handed lathe.
10/02/2023 10:34:58

I write right handed, I can use a screwdriver in both, I shoot (shot gun) left handed, but that is because I have a dominant left eye!

Thread: An impressive find : That tiny radioactive capsule
01/02/2023 11:58:31

Which all leads to the question, why was it not in its proper container?

Being so small you would not carry anything that size, radioactive or not, without something to put it in!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate