By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fulmen

Here is a list of all the postings Fulmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Uncertainty of Measurement
22/07/2023 22:02:34

I agree with Robert, you're at the limit of what you can measure with retail equipment. There are 4 measurements, so even 1% per measurement will get you a total of 4%. Getting it right to within 5% is pretty decent.

Thread: Case Hardening Push Rod Ends
21/07/2023 11:06:36

If you have a furnace I would give carburizing a try. All you need is a metal box with a removable lid, bbq charcoal and soda.

Fill the box with ground up charcoal mixed with 10-20% soda. Bury the parts completely, heat to 800-850C or so for a couple of hours, then quench and temper.

Based on this (engineersedge.com) you can expect the surface to be 10HRC harder than the core.

Thread: Gluten Intolerance
20/07/2023 22:00:49

I tried a gluten free beer made from chestnuts once. Guess what it tasted like.

Beer.

If they can do that, then surely they can make edible food without gluten?

Thread: Case Hardening Push Rod Ends
20/07/2023 21:35:47

EN8 is in the bottom range of what is considered hardenable (I think that's a word even though the spellcheck flags it), don't think you can expect more than 1/4" depth even in water (Jominy test). But it should work on small parts.

First thing I would try is to reduce the tempering down to 300-350C. If that's not good enough I would start looking for a better steel. Carburizing isn't that hard, but you really need a furnace with some sort of temperature control.

Thread: Shrink fits for the model engineers workshop?
17/07/2023 20:58:54

My advice is: Don't. Shrink fits is hard on small parts, they loose heat too fast. Anything short of a sausage-in-a-hangar fit will surely bind halfway down the joint and seize permanently.

At least take the time to work out a reliable method in advance. As for the details, consult this page: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

Thread: Milling - Squaring An Inside Radius Of A Corner
17/07/2023 10:06:09

It can be done with a 45° mill if you can tilt the head 45° in both X and Y.

Thread: First efforts at 3D printing
12/07/2023 20:53:16

Well done.

Neil has some good advice, printing is not like machining. Much of the strength is in the skin, it also affects filament use and printing time. And the material is directional like wood, so consider your printing orientation carefully.

Thread: Trying to comprehend the Impact Energy
12/07/2023 10:40:28

Perhaps a more relevant comparison: 55J is the same as dropping the 19kg machine 3 inches.

12/07/2023 08:53:26

My math says it's equivalent to dropping a 1kg weight from a height of 5,5m. Not sure if that helps.

Thread: Making an alternator that charges 'properly'
10/07/2023 20:04:11

No, he's right. An alternator produces alternating current, red/blue indicates direct current.

Thread: Soluble cutting oil just floating on water
05/07/2023 21:44:26

Could be motor oil pored in a random container. never know with second hand stuff.

Thread: Spline-style wrench ID
05/07/2023 09:52:54

I've been pondering that myself, but I'm not sure if it's the diameter (IIRC 0,01-0,02mm below a whole number for both the shaft and rollers) or the flat spots that cause it to seize up. I didn't take the new clutch apart to check the dimensions, figuring I was doomed to break something.

I think I can make new rollers, haven't measured the hardness but I'm sure I can find a suitable material. But I'm not so sure about regrinding the shaft. Best I can muster is a diy dremel toolpost grinder.

So the first order of business should be to reduce wear on the new one. Restoring the starter lockout seems like a sensible approach. I never liked the original solution (requiring the clutch to be engaged), but the bike has a lamp indicating neutral. Adding a relay to that might be a more elegant solution.

02/07/2023 19:41:49

The "new" bendix clutch works, so old Maggie is back on the road yet again. But I always try to figure out why a part failed in the first place. In this case it might be as simple as 40years of wear, but there is another possibility.

Originally the starter was wired through the clutch handle, requiring the clutch to be engaged for starting. This was annoying as heck, in part due to the crappy switch they used so I quickly removed that. But that does result in the occasional "jump start" when I've left the bike in gear. It hasn't bothered me much really but it does put more strain on the starter...

Thread: Runout - a Definition
25/06/2023 20:28:42

I think you have good instincts, always assume the most beneficial interpretation.

I interpret "rounout" as TIR while "concentricity" is the axial displacement, but English isn't my first language so please don't take my word for it.

Thread: Odd Thread Size
25/06/2023 20:13:23

What do you mean by "old"? I could imagine a true Briton chewing on broken glass before using a metric thread to this very daylaugh Or have you guys conceded that fight yet? It's a very nice system once you get to know it.

Besides nobody uses anything other than metric coarse (M8x1,25) unless they really have to.

Thread: Titanic submersible
24/06/2023 21:41:01

@Baz: You're right, I have been in the sun too long today. I started thinking in ratios, not difference for some reason.

24/06/2023 21:05:38

What I don't understand is why they were running at atmospheric pressures. IIRC you can handle 2-3bar abs without decomp, and you have two hours for that if needed.

Thread: Mars Ingenuity Helicopter
24/06/2023 20:52:02

They do make the coolest toys ever.

Thread: Titanic submersible
23/06/2023 09:38:31

This was a cowboy operator with no regard for safety. The founder was even quoted as saying that current regulations "needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation"...

22/06/2023 19:25:48

Yeah. Don't have much sympathy for rich tourists disturbing a grave site for fun.

Edit: Bill makes a valid point. But I still think there is a difference between remembering something like the Holocaust and respecting a grave site.

Also, people are drowning in the Mediterranean every day without anyone giving a hoot. But the moment a couple of rich a***oles go down the whole world holds it's breath. The only real sad part is that Musk wasn't on board.

Edited By Fulmen on 22/06/2023 19:38:53

Edited By JasonB on 23/06/2023 07:41:09

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate