By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Best

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Best has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ‘Right to Repair’
03/07/2021 14:18:05

I read it as the law provides a legal right whereby the manufacturers are legally allowed to to deny me parts that they have on the shelf because I am not a registered repair company with an account with them even if the appliance has broken within a reasonable lifetime, in this case nominally 10 years.

This would leave me with no redress except the small claims court, I would have to stump up their repair costs or get a new one.

The other point is "10 years". Loads of kit usually lasts longer than that, or at least it used to.

Dishwashers, fridges and freezers do. I just scrapped a 25 year old oven having been able to obtain a hinge for it when it was 20 years old. It got scrapped because the temperature control failed and I couldn't get a direct replacement. As it was clearly nearing the end of its natural life it was finally replaced.

Thread: Milling machines - western-made s/h recommendations up to £2k
03/07/2021 12:25:33

It looks like the Centec fits the bill.

Its certainly worth getting a quote from Landilift. Moving top-heavy stuff is very difficult and needs plenty of kit and bits, hiring the van is just the start.

A van would need a good tail lift with appropriate SWL. That's why low trailers are so popular.

Good luck with the adventure.

Thread: Which was the better design of Airship: R100 or the R101?
21/06/2021 19:43:21

Great thread, thanks for all the authoritative references.

I work in a regulated industry where we place great importance on process safety and substantiation of design, (lots of sums).

Fundamentally in any complex system you have to know what you are doing and a lot of airship disasters, and all the famous disasters of our lifetime demonstrate that at some point someone didn't.

Someday we will stop listening to those who shout loudest and listen to those who know their stuff more. Back in the early 20thC not many people did know their stuff so I can forgive them.

I am glad we know better now about technology and weather etc., its a shame that we are only just appreciating the problems with stupid people.

Thread: A bit more upcycling.
12/06/2021 17:44:52

yesangel

Thread: Can you recommend a UK supplier for good quality "mill board"?
12/06/2021 14:17:08

This is hilarious.

I think I will stick to shoeboxes and box files for my document storage. laugh

Thread: Stolen loco
12/06/2021 13:59:56
Posted by br on 12/06/2021 10:38:53:

LES

There is already a tread going on this. posted two days ago.

Another Stolen Loco
South of England By Swarf Maker

Nobody has issued full details such as if it is a Maidstone Engineering model, wether the gauge is 7.25 inches., wether boiler serial number is known ?

Such info would be helpful.

bill

Edited By br on 12/06/2021 10:40:09

Some more info:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-57424634

Thread: Vice restoration - how difficult can it be!
12/06/2021 13:05:04
Posted by Bountyboy on 09/06/2021 15:18:26:

Hello Roger,

I’m about to restore a Record No 5 vice myself and I found your video very useful. I also liked your under bench storage, I wondering where you obtained it from and was it very costly?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, its worth posting if one person found it useful.

BIGDUG drawers and workbenches (scroll down and following page)

The drawers are BiGDUG own brand, they are rather expensive, especially when you buy three with loads of drawers, but good value compared to the other brands available and they seem to be well made. I bought them individually, as I already planned to build the bench with material I already had, to a length longer than BiGUDG's worktops.

For some reason BiGDUG don't seem to list them individually any more, they do have the slightly more expensive Euroslide units.

For me its an investment for a lifetime, like buying a machine tool, strong metal drawers will last a very long time indeed.

Something I didn't realise is the volume of the drawers and the kit you can fit in. Each 100mm drawer is like a toolbox, each thin drawer holds a socket set plus loads of bits. Its a lot more efficient than a cupboard.

Cheers

Rog

Thread: Another Stolen Loco
11/06/2021 13:28:50

Absolute horror story.

Good luck to the police, I hope they take criminals who are prepared to bash an old man down seriously.

Thread: Vice restoration - how difficult can it be!
01/06/2021 21:12:46

Hi folks,

My most obsessive video yet; 45 minutes of slightly-nauseating, hand-held ramblings as I painfully slowly restore and fit that most common of bench fitments. If you are contemplating fixing up a lump of iron this is for you.

If not, you have been warned. laugh

https://youtu.be/a6LCxvazUnw

Thread: New Boxford owner
01/06/2021 21:03:47

Machine tool renovation is a hobby in itself. smiley

Thread: Anyone intersted?
01/06/2021 21:00:15

heart

I love it!!

Great work.

Thread: Mc Donald Model tractor
18/04/2021 15:57:54

yes Fantastic work Fred.  Thanks for showing us.

Edited By Roger Best on 18/04/2021 15:58:20

Thread: Bassett-Lowke
18/04/2021 15:40:14

sad not sure about the fake Lego. Or the prostitution of a historic brand. Or the miss-use of Steampunk.

Its a shame they can't use the BL name for something better.

Thread: Pins for a knurling tool - how hard should they be?
18/04/2021 14:56:51

You don't need to harden the pins.

All journals benefit from having the cheap part softer, and they can even last longer as a result, so mild steel will be sufficient.

Its difficult to imagine an amateur wearing the bore of a knurling tool such that it does not work, so any accurate material will do for what you need. smiley

Thread: Distorted ship's hull steel panels
14/04/2021 14:41:32

If Broadswords top speed was only 30 knots, how was its acceleration quite so good??

**LINK**

Thread: Problem with 4 jaw chuck
14/04/2021 14:11:57

Strip it down and get a square onto those jaws, you can't fix what you can't measure.

I suspect that they will need re-machining, the best method will depend on what you have access to.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
14/04/2021 11:34:13
Posted by Frances IoM on 14/04/2021 10:31:36:
Nigel - I bought an HP Office Pro 7730 a similar wide format printer coupled with an A4 scanner ( + the small extension to handle American paper but obviously inadequate for A3 scans) - cost ?1.50 at auction, my intention was to scrap it for parts - it came without any print cartridges - but the scanner worked well under Vuescan the linux CUPS system machine recognises the printer - how much are the cartridges counterfeit or otherwise?

first call inks

Remarkably expensive!

Thread: Lathe DRO
14/04/2021 11:15:21

embarrassed thanks John and John.

Hopefully my COVID-addled brain will one day be able to connect words with concepts as badly as it did before. I am beginning to think I may have to accept it as the norm though.

beerbeer

Rog

13/04/2021 14:39:07

Hi Jim

You don't actually have a problem wrt DRO. The cross slide, as Duncan says, is mainly to facilitate some of the more complex processes, especially increasing depth of cut on a thread, for which setting it to 30degrees, (or 60 depending on your lathe) is ideal.

If you watch Ade's workshop he is particularly good at explaining the use of the DRO for incremental cuts. I am sure that as you use your machine you will get used to making fine adjustments and getting sub-thou' cut adjustments as a result.

Thread: Buying advice sought re Milling Machines: e.g. Proxxon: FF230 vs. BFW40/E vs. MF70
31/03/2021 21:48:20

I have some friends with small Proxxon MF70 mills and they love them. They are ideal for small modelling work in softer materials. One of them bought a pillar drill within weeks if I recall correctly.

I was looking about that time and it never occurred to be to go so small and light, because I was already focussed on steel and doing relatively-precision engineering, so I knew I had to pay for pounds weight and put up with a permanent installation.

However all I have done in since I got it could have been on on the Proxxon, and most of what I will do could be. It really does come down to what you want to do with it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate