By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A few years ago.
07/06/2023 09:20:28

Thank you CT.

06/06/2023 15:39:25

Just think what it must have been like during the Bronze Age!

06/06/2023 11:25:19

A few years ago we had the Stone Age, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. What happened to the Copper and Tin Ages? Presumably they would have preceded the Bronze Age.

Or maybe I just slept through that bit of the history lessons.

Thread: Bought a new vice
04/06/2023 12:07:54

Would it realy have been too much trouble/cost to dress it up a little?

I've made a spinner handle for my vice using a redundant socket and it makes all the difference.

Thread: soldering a cracked brass cylinder
31/05/2023 16:05:54

Hello jon,

A patch might be your best bet. Whether that's solder or thin brass will depend on whether the assembly will fit back into the tank. Looking at it I think it will be tight. You'd also need to be careful not to unsolder the end cap.

I think i'd also like to understand what the apparently previous repairs were for. You may have more than one crack.

As to your original question. I would suggest a solvent cleaner (something like brake cleaner) and a sharp tool to create a minute vee groove along the crack.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

30/05/2023 15:33:33

Hi jon,

Soft solder might work (most joints on these devices appear to be soft soldered}. But bear in mind you're creating a butt joint. Pump tubes are usually a scant fit in the tank boss, and if that's the case you may not end up with much solder holding the outside of the split together.

29/05/2023 13:31:48

Hi jon,

Even if you could successfully solder the pump tube, I doubt the piston would seal adequately.

I would contact "Base Camp" and see if they have a spare..

Thread: Any idea where to buy?
26/05/2023 18:48:03

Yes guys, that may be the way to go. I'll need to change quite a few as I want to keep them all the same.

26/05/2023 16:23:09

Thanks Bernard,

See pm.

26/05/2023 16:05:18

Hi KWIL, that's what I'm begining to think.

Failed with Ebay Clive. That was my first port of call.

26/05/2023 15:45:40

Hello,

Any idea where to buy 6BA x 1/4" (min) CSK Phillips drive screws?

Thanks.

Thread: Rotagrip website
18/05/2023 09:23:07

I recently had trouble ordering a Keyless Chuck from Rotagrip through their website. I subsequently spoke to Ian Cooper at Rotagrip who said they have issues with the website. Ordered over the phone without any problems.

Thread: No longer a free postage threshold at Arceurotrade?
11/05/2023 09:30:09

Back to the original post. It's a shame Ketan has needed to do this. I'm sure it's made many of us consider the other vendors for certain less critical items.

Thread: Mill vice
06/05/2023 17:24:50

I recommend the ARC Euro "versatile" vices Jason shows above. The 100mm suits my WM16 fine, although maybe a little on the tall side for a WM14. While some of the other ARC machine vices are lower, some need custom made clamps to utilize their full potential.

Thread: Router bit
06/05/2023 11:34:26

Give it try. What's to lose? (apart from a router bit of course). I'm guessing the carbide insets in woodworking bits might be a bit thinner, and maybe not as well supported. I'd try it with 1//2" shank bits if you can, for increased rigidity if nothing else.

As Chris suggests, take it easy. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thread: New member in New Zealand
05/05/2023 12:22:59

Welcome Ed.

All the info' on here you'll ever need. What's your objective?

Thread: Lathe tool sizes, shims and cutting face geometry.
05/05/2023 12:19:43

Yes, you should shim them individually.

A little off-centre for larger diameter longitudinal turning probably won't notice, but for small diameters and face turning get the tool on centre height. Apart from anything else, with face turning you'll end up with a small pip. Too high and the tool tip rub.

Having said that, I seem to recall some debate a little while ago about toll height.

Thread: "O" ring
05/05/2023 11:02:40

I think it's "Buna N".

Thread: Hunter Valley Steamfest 2023
04/05/2023 12:39:47

Thank you. Must have been a great day out.

No Health & Safety police I see, especially as the light fades.

Thread: Sources of decent quality ER25 Imperial Collets
02/05/2023 17:48:26

Powered Z axis anybody?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate