By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Phinn

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Phinn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HSS lathe tool types
05/07/2023 20:35:33

Thanks for the answers.

This link calls form 8 "a corner tool" suggesting, to me at any rate, that it's intended as another chamfer tool, like form 4. Both form 4 and form 8 in my set have 90 degree tips. What the essential difference is I don't know.

The 60 degree external threading tool is the second from the right [form 7]. There isn't a 55 degree tool in the set, or an internal threading tool. Am happy to have a go at making these when/if needed.

I'm not sure what a finishing tool is [for taking very light cuts and producing a good surface finish?]. In my set, the third from the left has an included angle of 40 degrees, so I don't see how it can be used for threading. But it looks like it would be very good for chamfering in very tight spots.

Amadeal are closed for business until 12th July.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 05/07/2023 20:41:10

05/07/2023 17:27:24

Please can someone tell me the specific purpose of the third tool from the left and the difference in purpose/application of the form 4 and form 8 tools.

Thanks.

hss lathe tools.jpg

Thread: Professional Machine Fettling
02/07/2023 13:44:00

Dr G, it might be a good idea at this stage if you removed the offending gib strip and had a close look at it and the channel it sits in.

Thread: Washer size!
29/06/2023 14:07:12

M6 Form C Washers [BS 4320] have an OD of 14mm. You could easily spin one of these in a drill chuck against abrasive paper to get it down to the required OD.

You don't say what ID you need, however.

Thread: Moving my new mill into place
27/06/2023 17:49:09
Posted by JA on 27/06/2023 13:52:50:The mill was slid out of the delivery van and onto the table. table.

Can you tell us how you achieved that bit, JA? It sounds very simple, but in practice persuading a delivery driver to pallet-truck a heavy, crated machine off his tailgate on to anything but solid ground is dependent on the driver being willing to perform what will be a comparatively more risky manoeuvre.

In my own case, when I had my Warco WM18 delivered, I had a strong dolly waiting that I persuaded the driver to roll his pallet truck on to off the tailgate of his wagon. It wasn't an easy task for him (or me) at all, because the weight of the pallet truck and its cargo when leaving the tailgate only make contact initially with one side of the dolly, at which point things can get very unbalanced and hairy.

The driver went above and beyond for me, but I'm not sure I'd be able to persuade every driver to do the same.

Thread: A Touch 'Pestoff'?
27/06/2023 17:30:54
Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/06/2023 11:31:30:

Surprised that so many are in favour of Red Kites, when they predate so many indigenous smaller birds.

Since they moved into our area, there are very few small birds around.

Shades of rabbits in Australia., and mink.

Seemed a good idea at the time to introduce anon native species!

Howard

You do know, Howard, that red kites are native to the UK?

Like Dave, I doubt red kites, which prefer to scavenge rather than hunt, are having much impact on our populations of Passeriformes. If they were, then there would be no need for sparrowhawks to have evolved into the speed machines they are, and they would be being actively displaced by red kites as hunters of small birds.

Red kites can, however, have an impact on populations of certain ground nesting birds. "Bird tables" can reduce this impact.

26/06/2023 14:33:41

Was it the robin , Robin, that got you so incensed?

Thread: Titanic submersible
23/06/2023 03:28:46
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 23/06/2023 01:19:

- “The remark about the claim that the Titanic was "unsinkable" is so crassly repeated over and over again. No-one at the time who actually knew anything about ships ever said that! It was a foolish mis-interpretation by some newspaper hack,”

Sorry, Nigel, you’re not being completely fair there, though maybe I wasn’t either. I stand nevertheless by my interpretation [shared by many others] that the hubris of suggesting Titanic was unsinkable is at least part of what makes this episode in history so compelling for so many.

The idea that the ship was unsinkable was advanced by newspaper and magazine articles as well as by advertisement materials from the shipping company.”

The claim actually made [by the builders and owners of Titanic] was that she was 'practically unsinkable', close enough, but nevertheless an unfortunate statement and one which would haunt both builder and owner for years.

EtA: Here’s another source showing “a White Star Line publicity brochure produced in 1910 for the twin ships Olympic and Titanic which states ‘these two wonderful vessels are designed to be unsinkable’.”

Posted by Mick B1 on 22/06/2023 20:27:57:

“My missus and I actually did visit the Somme battlefields twenty years ago or so. After looking at the crater at La Bosselle (?), and High Wood, and chatting to a collector delighted with the shrapnel balls he'd picked up, we both began to feel there was something parasitic about wallowing in imagined emotions of those caught up in lethal events over which they'd had little if any control. We felt creeped out, and shortened the time on the Somme in favour of visiting relatives in the Vendee.”

Thanks for your reply, Mick. I'm sorry to hear how your visit to First World War battlefields was spoiled by the insensitivity and mixed-up priorities of some of the people you met there.

I think on balance more good than harm comes from such visits, because they can bring home to people, in a way the history books can't, the appalling scale of human slaughter we have inflicted on ourselves as a species, and decrease the chances, in some quarters at least, of catastrophes of the same kind happening again.

In the present case, I'm sure valuable lessons will be learned from the terrible misfortune of these five people - lessons that in the long term may benefit unknown numbers of other people, however indirectly.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 23/06/2023 03:54:25

22/06/2023 19:25:05
Posted by Mick B1 on 22/06/2023 16:58:24:

All of those things are within the scope of most people of moderate means who may have knowledge of the lives of relatives who were affected. I didn't lose anybody at the death camps so I don't think I've any business there.

Spending ostentatiously grotesque amounts of wealth visiting somebody else's disaster isn't something I'd feel comfortable about.

I infer two things from this:

• That if visiting the scene of someone else's disaster isn't grotesquely expensive but in fact highly affordable, you could feel comfortable with either yourself or others doing it.

• That you believe the only people who have any business visiting concentration camps, or sites of historic disasters generally, are people who know they have relatives who suffered or died at the sites in question.

Are my inferences correct?

22/06/2023 15:06:00
Posted by Mick B1 on 22/06/2023 13:52:54:
Posted by Bill Phinn on 21/06/2023 19:05:08:
Posted by Chris Pearson 1 on 21/06/2023 19:03:10:

I struggle to sympathize with those involved because I think that Titanic should be left alone - it is a grave.

I thought visiting graves was an acceptable everyday occurrence.

Graves where somebody's remains have been laid to rest with due process and ceremony aren't the same as chaotic sites of multiple deaths.

So presumably you disapprove of visits to historic battlefields.

Thread: Collet issues
22/06/2023 14:09:10
Posted by Mouse on 22/06/2023 14:04:33:

Hi Im new to milling and have bought this fb2. The collet and collect chuck that came with the machine seems to correspond but when I tighten the arbour/ chuck the 6mm collet and 6mm endmill are still loose, does anyone have advice where i might be going wrong?

What is the size marking on the collet you're trying to fit the 6mm shank into?

What is your procedure for tightening down the collet on to the endmill?

Edited By Bill Phinn on 22/06/2023 14:09:58

Thread: Titanic submersible
21/06/2023 19:43:52
Posted by Nick Wheeler on 21/06/2023 19:10:52:
Posted by Bill Phinn on 21/06/2023 19:05:08:

I struggle to sympathize with those involved because I think that Titanic should be left alone - it is a grave.

It is, when the person in it meant something to you.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the people who died on Titanic mean something to a great many people.

The same can be said about the occupants of Commonwealth war graves, which people still visit in large numbers, sometimes travelling large distances to do so, and without necessarily having any close or even distant family member interred or memorialized in the cemetery they're visiting.

Even ordinary civilian cemeteries can have much larger visitor numbers than you might expect; taphophilia isn't all that odd, you see, statistically speaking at least. Whether you or others approve of it is another matter.

In Titanic's case, seeing the wreck in person is surely something countless people would want to do if they could do so reasonably safely and affordably. Having to beat their way to it through bramble bushes and rely on torchlight to see it at all would deter practically no-one if that was all that stood in the way of this particular goal.

21/06/2023 19:05:08

21/06/2023 15:32:21
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 21/06/2023 15:22:43:

I don't think off the shelf and "deepest diving" go together.

Nor do constructing a deepwater submersible and saying "we did this extremely fast".

21/06/2023 15:16:34
Posted by speelwerk on 21/06/2023 15:06:59:

I do not grasp the fascination people have with the Titanic. Niko.

For starters:

• World's largest ship [at the time]
  • Maiden voyage
  • Second largest loss of life in a single ship sinking [at the time]
  • Lots of mega rich big wigs on board
  • Hubris [of saying the ship was unsinkable] immediately punished

Edited By Bill Phinn on 21/06/2023 15:16:52

Thread: Workshop going into storage - Rust Prevention?
17/06/2023 16:12:54
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/06/2023 11:37:23:

LPS-3 is a product intended for this application and provides at least two years protection. Available as liquid or aerosol
https://www.techsil.co.uk/lps3-rust-inhibitor-380ml

Robert.

I got some of that after seeing its apparently superior rust inhibiting properties on Stuart de Haro's channel.

I've not used it long enough to be able to tell whether it's actually ahead of the competition and if so by how much.

The manufacturer's own price looks a bit steep.

Thread: Google's Graffitti on 'lathes.co'
15/06/2023 11:24:12

I don’t have much objection to text and picture ads anywhere, even if they flash at you; they don’t usually stop you from viewing the content you’ve come to see, after all; they just wave and wink at you trying to get your attention.

Video ads on, say, Youtube are another matter; they do temporarily stop you from viewing the content you’ve come to see and have lately got so frequent and intrusive on most popular Youtube channels that without something like Adblock Pro, which I use, the site would now be practically unusable.

This is entirely intentional, of course: Youtube want to make the ads so annoying that you start paying for Youtube Premium, rather than surf for free. Apparently they are already trialling an adblock blocker to ensure that visitors with adblock software installed who haven’t subscribed to Youtube Premium once again experience the full inescapable annoyance of the ads.

Thread: New Chester Craftsman or Colchester Master Mk1.5
13/06/2023 22:25:28
Posted by Howard Lewis on 13/06/2023 22:08:17:

After amachine has been worked hard in a production environment, virtually 24 /7 almost every part will be worn, and need refurbishment or repkacement.

Whatever is chosen, hopefully, eventually it will do what is required and provide pleasure in using it

Howard

Just to be clear, Howard, the Herbert needed one part only, but still had to be scrapped.

13/06/2023 21:52:49
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/06/2023 20:24:17:
Posted by Rooossone on 13/06/2023 12:37:22:
Posted by Buffer on 13/06/2023 12:31:56:.

Some other friends said I would be insane to choose an import over the Colchester based on it's visual condition.

After 5 or 6 years it was cheaper to replace such machines than repair them.

Dead right, Dave. My brother-in-law's place of work had a Herbert lathe that needed a new part. The price was insane. They scrapped it.

Thread: Alzheimer's
10/06/2023 00:13:58

Yours looks like a reasonably good solution, Peter.

In my own parents’ case, both of whom have severe dementia, we used to lock the front door with the mortise lock at all times and put the key in a handy but not obvious place.

It worked, whilst being only mildly inconvenient, and was a much better system than them leaving the front door wide open all night [not merely unlocked] or going out wandering together and being brought home [yet again] in a stranger’s car after getting into difficulties on their walk.

Time has now resolved this problem for us because both of them are now in hospital beds [in their own home], and unable to walk or stand or speak or understand us or care for themselves in any way.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate