By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I have a computer, I need a simple oscilloscope
23/09/2022 20:39:07

Duncan

A cheap option if you just want to analyse digital 0 to 5 volt signals is a diy usb scope using an Arduino. This is a link to a site showing how to use an Arduino uno. **LINK** . I have made one using an Arduino nano which is a bit cheaper than a uno. The last one I bought was only about £5 from hobbycomponents.com inc p&p

The instructions for programming the Arduino and the software to run on your pc are here **LINK**

This is a screenshot of the sort of display you get

48cb2717-ee5a-4944-98e4-0393ff9e8562.jpeg

Stuart

Thread: Moving a WM18B
26/08/2022 23:38:53

Dave

In my previous post, I didn’t make it clear that I rotated the head by 90 degrees before lowering it onto wooden blocks on the table. It is quite stable if you do this.

The other thing you could do is buy a 1 tonne chain block to lift either the complete mill or the parts. If you lifted it complete you could move the stand from under it and lower it onto a garden cart to move it.

I lifted my Warco 290 lathe ok using a chain hoist (£60 from screwfix etc) - that is about the same weight as your mill.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 26/08/2022 23:39:17

25/08/2022 23:22:39

I have a Warco WM16 mill which although smaller and lighter looks to be similar in .design

I bought it secondhand and it was in a first floor workshop with access via a narrow staircase.

I split it into 3 parts to move it.

I removed the head in one complete part with just 3 nuts/bolts to remove. I watched this video on you tube to see how to do it. He went over the top making a block to hold it. **LINK**

I just lowered the head onto a block of wood on the table to take the weight off the head and wound the table with head on it forward then lifted it off. The control box and wiring is attached to the head so comes off as one.

I removed the table and saddle as one by undoing the 2 screws holding the y axis bearing holder and removing the y axis lead screw assembly. I then removed the y axis lead screw nut. This is held by 2 Allen key bolts accessed from underneath the back of the saddle. I could then pull the saddle off complete with table attached. I didn’t remove the gib but with hindsight I should have done.

It may be that on your WM18B the parts are still too heavy for one person to lift but by splitting it 2 people may be able to manage.

I found a manual with diagrams for a similar mill to mine on the ‘Grizzly tools’ US website . You might find one with more info than in the Warco manual.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 25/08/2022 23:24:47

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 25/08/2022 23:25:04

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 25/08/2022 23:25:50

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 25/08/2022 23:29:21

Thread: Update Smart Meter
24/08/2022 00:43:54

Duncan

Where do you get that information from?

Stuart

23/08/2022 18:37:54

Howard

The high increase in the standing charge is mainly because of the way costs are allocated when a supplier fails. To avoid customers losing supply, they are transferred to another supplier know as the supplier of last resort process. The costs involved are passed onto all of us via an increase in the standing charge. This is a process defined by Ofgem. They are consulting on whether this should be changed - see attached . **LINK**

So everyone pays for those businesses that presumably were trying to get market share by selling at lower costs than they could sustain. Indirectly this means that we have all subsidised those that went with a cheap supplier.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 23/08/2022 18:38:38

Thread: Rail Card Renewals
22/08/2022 20:56:11

Chris

Can you not just get an additional email address? ( g mail for example)

Stuart

Thread: Update Smart Meter
22/08/2022 17:40:56

I used to work for the local electricity network operator.

When smart meters were first being discussed, one of the senior managers came back from a briefing (I think with Ofgem and network operators). A few of the things I remember :

Installation of new gas boilers would be banned and heat pumps used instead.

Smart meters would be used to interact with EV chargers and domestic appliances to in effect share out the capacity available on the network at any particular time. And also variable pricing to go with this.

Smart meters would be used to monitor the voltage and report if the supply went off. This could be integrated into the network management computer systems to identify where faults on the network were.

I retired 6 years ago but it seems like at least some of these are now becoming reality.

Stuart

Thread: MEW 319 - Roofing A Shed??????
18/08/2022 17:35:34

I am another wondering why we had a long winded article about a rubber roof. Anyone wishing to do this can find all the info they need on the internet. Also the 2 pages on car restoration which didn’t even tell you anything.

Thread: Touch DRO
06/08/2022 23:49:26

Just a cheap way of obtaining a dro with large display, if you don’t want to spend the money on a ‘proper’ dro.

Stuart

06/08/2022 21:27:36

David

This a previous thread on the Touch DRO system.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=158471

I have made two, one for my mini lathe using cheap digital calipers and the other for my mill using dro scales from ArcEuro. I built the circuits using info from the internet and other members on here. This is the one for my mill.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=50081&p=859167 

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 06/08/2022 21:29:58

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 06/08/2022 21:30:55

Thread: Wi Fi router
14/07/2022 20:08:27

Duncan

What you are looking for is a WiFi access point. I just did a google search and Curry’s have one for under £15.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 14/07/2022 20:08:46

Thread: Battery fire in electric cars after a collision
28/06/2022 19:27:52

Guy Martin did a programme on Channel 4.

At about 30 mins in, there is a discussion on battery fires and some examples.

**LINK**

Thread: CNC engraving
24/06/2022 00:04:36

Derek

You could try etching. I made one for my daughter using the same technique as for printed circuit boards.

I have used Press n Peel successfully to etch into brass. It is a blue sheet that you print onto using a laser printer or photocopier. The sheet is then ironed onto the brass. You could print your artwork on your inkjet printer and then use a photocopier to copy to the Press n Peel sheet. You obviously need access to a photocopier possibly at a local library if you don’t have one.

I etched this after using pressnpeel sheet with the design printed using a laser printer.

etched brass

I heated the brass in the oven and then pressed it onto the sheet.

I used Sodium persulphate from CPC as the etchant. It is clear so is easier to see what's happening than ferric chloride. It works best at 50 deg c.

My daughter does wood turning and is is a brand to mark her work with her initials.

I made another one as well. I have put a photo in my album with a couple of pictures of my tests.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 24/06/2022 00:05:32

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 24/06/2022 00:06:54

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 24/06/2022 00:20:48

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 16:37:23

If it is the one shown in sold items, the seller has a large 100% feedback , but the vast majority are for purchases he has made.

I can only see 5 for items he has sold .

For a purchase of this value, I think I would be looking for a lot higher numbers of sold items.

Stuart

Thread: What does this circuit do ?
26/05/2022 20:00:50

See my earlier post.

It is to prevent the voltage to the intercom dipping when the supply dips.

Stuart

26/05/2022 14:07:44

Gerry,

It is to stop a dip on the supply to the intercom, presumably when the engine is started.

I made a similar circuit for my car when I had a 2 way radio for work. Before I fitted this, the radio would cut out and have to be reset every time I started the engine.

The large capacitor holds the voltage stead for a short time if the supply voltage dips and the diode isolates the capacitor and intercom from the supply.

Stuart

Thread: Thermal condution paste - none adhesive
20/05/2022 20:58:44

CPC list 2 which look suitable:

**LINK**

Stuart

Thread: CJ18A Wiring
10/05/2022 22:49:19

James

I don’t know if this is of any use, but I found this document on a KBIC drive circuit. It may be the same or similar to the one in your lathe.

**LINK**

Stuart

10/05/2022 21:48:58

James

I have one if these lathes.

I have put a few photos in my CJ18A album **LINK**

I have some more on my phone but am having difficulty trying to copy them. Let me know if you need them and I will have another go.

Stuart

Thread: warco 918 bench lathe
21/04/2022 22:21:33

Wally

One of the members of the forum has documented his purchase and experience with his Warco 918.

**LINK**

Stuart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate