By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for george Aldous

Here is a list of all the postings george Aldous has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: NEW SCAM
09/05/2021 08:31:37

Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 -number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases. Please Copy And Paste

Shared from a friend

Thread: Mystery post
03/09/2020 12:12:04

looks like a Bundy box to me would have had a clock on top for tram or bus drivers to record their end/start of run.

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
02/08/2020 18:22:05

I know this going to sound mad but try brown paper and a hot iron. put paper on and iron over it, might suck it out.

Thread: Bell making
24/02/2019 12:47:49

Neil, I always say a liberty bell celebrates the fact that we had the good sense to get out of the americas before it all went wrong..

Thread: Picture upside down
30/01/2019 10:06:20

I thought for a min you were going to say turn the monitor upside down..

Thread: Mach3 mystery error
16/10/2018 08:55:14

May I suggest you look at https://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html they have software that works on win10 back I have it with the uc100 adapter and it was working great til I removed my cnc because of room.

george.

Thread: And no-one noticed...
27/07/2018 08:32:00

I remember a couple of months ago not noticing anything different..wink 2.

sorry couldn't resist.

Thread: Pet identity chip reader
10/06/2018 14:00:59

My dog before the one I have now had her microchip on her left hip it was originally inserted into her neck as normal,

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
09/06/2018 13:08:54

I think you are quite close to the truth with wheel clamp I think it is part of the tie down system.

Thread: New Member: Tom, Kent
13/04/2018 15:02:41

welcome Tom I'm in dover.

George.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
07/04/2018 18:58:23

@ bob

it was a hs125 jet crashed in sept 1967, luckily the car plant was shut it says in this report scroll down to 164 in blue.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1969/mar/17/luton-airport

Thread: Anyone shed light on this?
14/02/2018 10:50:51

Going back to the Sintox block it is used in ballistic armour plates in body armour .

Thread: RC hobbyist
23/12/2017 18:59:59

Large scale tanks are my thing 1/8th and 1/6th.

Thread: Tank Cupolas...
19/12/2017 15:09:43

what scale is this neil and any chance of the stl files please. thanks George.

Thread: Hi to All
19/10/2017 17:56:40

Yes Mick mine are 1/8th, A Panther and a T90 in bits.

19/10/2017 13:40:07

I have been a member for a while and generally just like to read the posts of other members, My interests are large scale military vehicles mainly.

I have a Clarke 300m lathe, One of their milling machines and a home made 3d printer. The clarke machines were bought in a 50% off and tax free sale so I basically went to buy a mill and got a lathe free.

When I work out how it all works I will be a happy bunny.

Thanks G.

Thread: Up the garden path to new lathe
12/08/2017 19:27:39

There is only one original survivor it was at Hendon but I think it got moved to Cosford , The replica mentioned was finished and then was to be scrapped but got saved and is on display at Hawkinge.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate