Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Pet identity chip reader

Smartphone Attachment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Speedy Builder510/06/2018 08:35:08
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Does anybody know of an attachment to a smartphone to allow it to read Animal Microchip IDs. I see that Amazon sell a complete unit for about £50, but just wondering if there was a cheaper solution. We get several lost dogs a year around our way, and a reader and a phone call may be cheaper than dog food !
BobH

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 10/06/2018 08:35:26

Jon Lawes10/06/2018 08:45:48
1078 forum posts

All the RFID tag will give you is a serial number, you would need access to the database to give you any useful and useable info. In the days of Data Protection I suspect that would be very difficult to use. It would of course speed things up to be able to read the number directly to a vet over the phone.

pgk pgk10/06/2018 09:46:38
2661 forum posts
294 photos

Unless the pet's id was in our own system (been in as a patient) we still had to phone one of the databases who then attempted to contact the owner (as opposed to some magic direct access).

Whilst it's still the 'best' system not all chips wordlwide are ISO compliant and some older pets may have been imported with such other chips. Also though rare i have experienced a couple of chips over the years that failed and a very few that migrated from the ideal insertion site.

Lastly I'm sure readers have improved but even with our professional models we had to swap out for quality fresh batteries regularly to get good performance... tested with at least two readers before assuming it wasn't chipped.

pgk

george Aldous10/06/2018 14:00:59
17 forum posts

My dog before the one I have now had her microchip on her left hip it was originally inserted into her neck as normal,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate