By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sandgrounder

Here is a list of all the postings Sandgrounder has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Music in the Workshop
02/08/2020 13:14:53
Posted by KWIL on 02/08/2020 12:11:29:

Machine tool cutting is the best music in a workshop, definate no no to have a radio on.

I'm exactly the same, with the exception of a car radio I don't listen to anything.

Thread: ER Collet chuck for Myford ML7R
15/07/2020 06:48:57

A few months ago I bought a 2 piece ER32 collet chuck assembly from Myford Ltd and it's excellent, strangely though I can't find it on the website now but they do have the same type in your required size.

'ER25 Collet nose adaptor assembly 20/294' , sorry about the link I don't know how to post short ones.

https://www.myford.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?WD=collet%20chuck%20er25&PN=ER25%2dCOLLET%2dNOSE%2dADAPTOR%2dASSEMBLY%2d%2dSMALL%2dBORE%2d%2d20%2d294%2d1433%2ehtml#SID=156

Myford and RDG are owned by the same company but have different suppliers.

John

Edited By Sandgrounder on 15/07/2020 06:52:58

Thread: Leadscrew suppliers
08/07/2020 10:26:33
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 08/07/2020 09:29:21:

If you do a search for lead screws , I think you might find some thing like Humber Engineering or Hull Engineering, both ring a bell but can't be sure. Some time ago some here ,spoke of an engineering company in the Hull area who stock lead screws and he was a satisfied customer. John

There is a firm in Hull called Kingdton Engineering who make leadscrews

http://www.kingston-engineering.co.uk/products.php

John

Thread: ER32 COLLET SETS
15/06/2020 06:19:33

I've just bought some from here, very good service and the ones I got were the 0.015mm runout series which will do fine for me.

https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/collet-sets.html

Edited By Sandgrounder on 15/06/2020 06:21:31

Thread: Can you guess what this object is?
06/06/2020 13:50:33

I think it's a face mask before the ear loops are sewn on.

Thread: stuck chuck again
05/06/2020 11:47:34

My apologies if you know this already but the pin that won't hold the shaft, is it in the right hole? On mine to lock the headstock shaft I push the pin in and turn the chuck until it locks, but there are 2 holes diametrically opposite, one has the oiling nipple and the pin won't fully engage and slides out when the chuck is turned and the other the pin fully enters, I can't see how the latter won't hold, it may break something but shouldn't slip.

Edited By Sandgrounder on 05/06/2020 11:50:40

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
14/04/2020 06:06:47
Posted by pgk pgk on 14/04/2020 05:30:04:
Posted by Steviegtr on 14/04/2020 03:40:44:

The thig I miss most is Dripping sandwiches, laced with salt. God how am I still alive.

Steve.

Hard graft, fluids and sweat. We needed the energy and excreted the rest.
Remember when they used to recommend salt tabs for the tropics?

pgk

When I worked at Mullard in the 60's they issued salt tabs to the foundry workers.

Thread: Myford Super 7
30/03/2020 09:25:35

Years ago I aquired a S7 Mk1 with the old style clutch, it didn't work as a clutch because the "push rod" or " actuating rod" running down the spindle centre was missing, however the previous owner had put a long bolt M10? in it's place and tightened down the adusting screw, this locked the pulley to the spindle, result no clutch action but at least it worked as a lathe.

John

Thread: Super 7 lubrication
05/03/2020 12:06:46

This is a previous post of mine to another thread re' Myford oiling

"After having had two oil guns sold as suitable for a Myford lathe ( neither came from RDG, Myford or any of the main suppliers) which did not work I decided to try something else, from eBay I bought for £7 inc' P & P a used Interlube pump type grease gun, I filled it with Nuto 32 and pumped any remaining grease out on a piece of wood, refilled the gun and did all but one of the Myford nipples with no problems at all except a small amount of oil weeping past the guns filling cap, this I cured with a plastic plug and 'O' ring to provide a seal which wouldn't have been required for grease, the only nipple it won't oil is the one in the 'V' cone pulley, the end fitting on the gun is a little too big, I haven't got around to that yet as I very rarely use the back gear."

Thread: Hand Wash
04/03/2020 08:38:42
Posted by Clive Hartland on 04/03/2020 07:38:11:

It is said that face masks are not safe, use once and dispose even if you can get them.

I heard that face masks can be good in preventing you touching your mouth or nose inadvertently with your hands which may be contaminated.

Thread: Ebay Chancers
04/03/2020 06:52:49
Posted by fizzy on 04/03/2020 00:07:55:

and thats why i stopped selling on ebay = simply no money in it for me

I've never sold anything on eBay but from what I see the charges at traditional auctions are not much differerent, watching Paul Martins 'Flog it' programme he always warns about the standard charges which seem to vary from about 15% to 18% plus 20% VAT.

Thread: Encryption software
16/02/2020 10:18:14
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/02/2020 08:46:54:
Posted by Sandgrounder on 16/02/2020 08:25:13:

Exactly my way of thinking, if needed, a few critical passwords can be places or events that are easy to remember, so a password could be the first school I went to and thats what I would write down to remind me what it is, for example Amazon = 1st School.

It’s also wise not to disclose such detail on a public forum angel

MichaelG.

I agree with you and that's why I used it as an example, I don't have an Amazon account or use my school name as a password, and even if I did there's almost certainly no one alive who knows it or records available as to the name or location of my first school.

16/02/2020 08:25:13
Posted by pgk pgk on 16/02/2020 06:25:39:

Passwords on paper is about as secure as you practically need to be - they cannot be hacked remotely. It's unlikely that a quick opportunist burglar is going to go hunting for a piece of paper tucked somewhere. A nasty burgar type determined to get your passwords - should such exist - and you're going to tell them anyway and open any.safe.

Anyone with several hundred different passwords might consider what benefit that has. Does it really matter if someone hacks into your access here (for instance) compared to the few worrying accounts might mine own such as 3 or 4 banks a couple of credit cards an online shop or two etc

Exactly my way of thinking, if needed, a few critical passwords can be places or events that are easy to remember, so a password could be the first school I went to and thats what I would write down to remind me what it is, for example Amazon = 1st School.

Thread: Myford S7 headstock on ML7 bed
07/02/2020 12:25:21

Years ago, 25+, I bought an almost new condition ML7 bed with metric leadscrew that had been used as an optical bench where I worked, after a couple of years searching, no internet or eBay to help then, I bought a battered Mk1 S7 which apart from a few missing teeth on the back gears had a good headstock which after cleaning up and new gears bolted straight on to the bed along with the S7 tailstock and I'm still using it. However I don't know if all S7 headstocks would fit all ML7's.

Thread: Beaten and robbed.
26/01/2020 13:11:53
Posted by Brian Wood on 26/01/2020 12:43:58:

For example, how did they know who to target and that they would be carrying a bundle of cash with them?

I would think this is done quite often, I've bought items on eBay, Preloved, Shpock etc and driven to a addresses with cash, nowhere near the £9000 amount they got robbed of, more like £200 at the most, and I've sold items similarly.

John

Thread: Back plunger indicators - does anyone use them?
21/01/2020 19:25:08
Posted by mark costello 1 on 21/01/2020 17:48:53:

Works well for tramming in a vise also. use one all the time.

I do as well and I know now what it's called.

John

Thread: Myford super 7 oiling
05/01/2020 08:36:00

After having had two oil guns sold as suitable for a Myford lathe ( neither came from RDG, Myford or any of the main suppliers) which did not work I decided to try something else, from eBay I bought for £7 inc' P & P a used Interlube pump type grease gun, I filled it with Nuto 32 and pumped any remaining grease out on a piece of wood, refilled the gun and did all but one of the Myford nipples with no problems at all except a small amount of oil weeping past the guns filling cap, this I cured with a plastic plug and 'O' ring to provide a seal which wouldn't have been required for grease, the only nipple it won't oil is the one in the 'V' cone pulley, the end fitting on the gun is a little too big, I haven't got around to that yet as I very rarely use the back gear.

Edited By Sandgrounder on 05/01/2020 08:37:53

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 06:49:08

I've never had one and I doubt if I would use it if I did, but what does scare me is seeing photos of older lathes for sale with no guards over the drive belts and change wheels.I don't really want more than one danger area (the chuck) to concentrate on.

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
16/10/2019 19:26:28

I have about 800 years left on my leasehold property which costs me £6 per year, I enquired about buying the freehold but my solicitor said that there would be covenants left on the land which will mean that I would still have to pay for any extensions etc. so it would'nt be worth it as the leaseholder would probably charge around £30000 to lift them, otherwise it would be freehold in name only

Thread: Collet sticking in chuck
03/10/2019 11:17:51

Thank you all for your very helpful advice which has resulted in me finding the problem, the collet does lock into the nut with a click however it doesn't withdraw the collet, but I found another chuck, a MT3 one, and this nut fits the MT2 one as well, this was assembled the same way and works, I've just tried both a couple of times more and the results the same, the MT2 nut must have a fault, it was just a cheap one but it will suffice now I have a nut that fits.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, the Arc Euro page is very good.

Thanks

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate