By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bodger Brian

Here is a list of all the postings Bodger Brian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: German Tec
10/06/2021 20:27:21
Posted by Howard Lewis on 10/06/2021 16:15:11:

Like the little girl. when good, very good, but when bad TERRIBLE!

I prefer the version I once heard. When she was good, she was very good, but when she was bad, she was even better!

Thread: Ball Races and 'Brinelling' (whatever that is).
08/03/2021 19:57:39
Posted by duncan webster on 08/03/2021 11:38:25:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 07/03/2021 19:12:32:
Posted by duncan webster on 07/03/2021 18:21:29:

Church bells rotate +- half a rev plus a little bit. The little bit is vital, get it right and you can park the bell mouth up, a fraction more and you break the stay, the rope (known as a Sally) disappears up through the hole in the ceiling. Hopefully the campanologist has let go.

???? Every one I've seen has gone from mouth upright, round to upright again. There are plenty of belfry videos that show this. The stay is about another 10 degrees past vertical. It shouldn't break if you just bump it, although learning not to do that is the first thing a beginner should be taught once they're ringing without help.

The rope is called the rope; the woollen grip for the handstroke is the sally.

Normal parking position is mouth down, at least it was when I was involved (many moons ago), so rotation +- half a rev plus a little bit seems a reasonable description to me. I think parking mouth down was to ensure that if anyone was up in the bell chamber doing some maintenance they wouldn't nudge a bell and have it swing uncontrollably.

You’re correct, the normal ‘parking’ position is mouth down BUT....

in order to actually ring them, beforehand they are ‘rung up’ through half a rev and ‘parked’ mouth upright. From that point on, during the actual ringing they are swung through 360 degrees in one direction, then 360 degrees in the other. This can carry on continuously for anything from a few minutes on a practice night to over 4 hours for a full peal on heavy bells.

This animation shows the action...

https://washingtonringingsociety.org/galleries/animations

Thread: Supporting Wikipedia
21/11/2020 08:23:52

Apologies - duplicate post. 

Edited By Bodger Brian on 21/11/2020 08:24:48

21/11/2020 08:23:51
Posted by Jim Butler 1 on 21/11/2020 02:11:49:

Despite being derided by some, Wikipedia is a useful resource.

It is a useful resource if one uses it as the basis for further research, as should information from any encyclopaedia.

One problem is that too many people take it as gospel. On another on-line forum, despite me quoting from a contemporary newspaper (late 19th century) about the date of a tram line being laid, someone insisted that I was wrong because Wikipedia gave another date

This is from Wikipedia itself.... “Wikipedia is not considered to be a reliable source as not everything in Wikipedia is accurate, comprehensive or unbiased”.

Thread: grease for instrument control knobs
04/11/2020 20:54:13
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/11/2020 20:40:58:

Posted by Bodger Brian on 04/11/2020 20:11:43:

[…]

I’m not looking for any.

The reason for asking is that I’m perplexed by the amount of people who refuse to name eBay, calling it fleabay, evilbay, ‘that well known internet auction site’, ‘you know where on the internet’ etc, anything but eBay. For a long time I’ve been asking why but not one single person has ever put their hand up & explained themselves.

eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay. I’ve said it & the world is still going round!

Sorry, Brian ... I wouldn’t have bothered trying to help if I had realised you were just having a go at Nick.

I cannot speak for Nick, but I would assume that he was trying to comply with the ‘Code of Conduct’
... You may realise that I risked censure by naming ebay when trying to help you.

I do agree, however, that the previous nonsensical [and surprisingly widespread] practice using of silly names was ridiculous.

MichaelG.

Fair enough, although I’m still slightly puzzled. I thought it was links to certain websites that was now a no-no, not merely naming companies. I’ve just spend an admittedly short period of time looking for the rules but couldn’t find them.

04/11/2020 20:11:43
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/11/2020 21:24:08:
Posted by Bodger Brian on 03/11/2020 20:33:11:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 03/11/2020 15:45:10:

I bought some high viscosity damping grease from you know where on the internet for use on film camera focussing helixes.

Do you mean Amazon?

It would be futile to post a link, but: Try searching ebay for 50g high viscosity damping grease

... recommended by friends in the microscopy community, I’ve just ordered a tub for £3.65

I’m not looking for any.

The reason for asking is that I’m perplexed by the amount of people who refuse to name eBay, calling it fleabay, evilbay, ‘that well known internet auction site’, ‘you know where on the internet’ etc, anything but eBay. For a long time I’ve been asking why but not one single person has ever put their hand up & explained themselves.

eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay, eBay. I’ve said it & the world is still going round!

03/11/2020 20:33:11
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 03/11/2020 15:45:10:

I bought some high viscosity damping grease from you know where on the internet for use on film camera focussing helixes.

Do you mean Amazon?

Thread: Camden Miniature Steam Services
15/10/2020 13:24:28
Posted by Mark- on 15/10/2020 10:09:19:

In the meanwhile I bought the Rob Roy castings from that auction site (2 days ago) ...

Which auction site? eBay? Why the reluctance to name them?

Thread: Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues
03/10/2020 16:05:48
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 03/10/2020 10:26:43:

no one forces anyone to read any threads or posts, so if you don't like allowable things that are discussed in the tea room, don't look at it.

That’s fine in theory, not so good in practice. If I’m reading a thread discussing something that is of interest to me & I come across a comment about politics (for instance) that I don’t like, are you suggesting that I stop looking at the rest of the thread (it’s virtually guaranteed that more comments in the same vein will follow) and miss out on reading any subsequent comments relevant to the original post?

How does one find out if one doesn’t like something without looking at it?

02/10/2020 18:41:05
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 02/10/2020 16:14:38

Football! Nah! It's a gentleman's game, with two opposing sides having a friendly kick about on grass with a sheeps bladder. Any disagreements are rapidly sorted out with a quick slap here or there and a swift kicking if the other side doesn't come round to their way of thinking........ and... er.... oh yes maybe you're right! laugh

I once heard football described as a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, as opposed to rugby, which is a hooligan’s game played by gentlemen.

Thread: Best way to remember Mill movements when turning hand wheels
18/09/2020 18:48:41
Posted by mechman48 on 17/09/2020 16:15:01:

If you remember the adage.. 'Righty tighty.. lefty loosey for nuts, screws etc;

I’ve never understood the logic of that, in that right & left are linear directions and clockwise & anti-clockwise are rotational. Try putting a spanner on a nut so that is vertically positioned below the nut, then push it to the right. What happens? On a conventional RH thread, it’ll loosen, the opposite result to what your adage suggests.

Thread: Scaling back forum activity
10/09/2020 21:24:39
Posted by Vic on 10/09/2020 10:30:48:

The actual moderation on here doesn’t seem to bad although I must admit I dislike the attitude of both Neil and Jason. In fact I felt it necessary just recently to add Jason to my ignore list.

I have to say that this surprises me. I can’t comment on the moderation, as I assume a lot of it goes on in the background, but Jason has always struck me as one of the most helpful & unjudgemental posters on this forum. I could name a couple of other regular posters that definitely deserve to be ignored but that‘s not the point....

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
09/08/2020 20:01:02
Posted by Bob Worsley on 09/08/2020 16:22:33:

My point about the 5 thou is that it is important. Bend a leg on a chip with lots of legs and it will work on the conductive flux, for a while

I design PCBs in my day job. Even on a fine pitch device, 5 thou is nothing. I don’t have any datasheets to hand but off the top of my head but I think that is normally less than the manufacturer’s tolerance for leg position. If it isn’t, a properly designed footprint will allow for it. Even if you’re talking about 5 thou off the surface of the PCB, a correctly applied solder joint will cope with it.

Brian

Thread: c-clips & e-clips
19/07/2020 19:40:45

I have heard the terms c-clip & e-clip used for the same type of fastener, ie a sprung open washer with internal tabs, which locate in a groove on a shaft. Are they the same thing, with different names, or is it a case of minor differences such as the number of internal tabs?

Brian

Thread: Mild Steel Rod in Metric Sizes
16/06/2020 16:47:36
Posted by Brian Oldford on 15/06/2020 09:20:21:

Lots of sellers on that well known auction site.

Do you mean eBay? If so, why not say so? I'm puzzled as to why people continually say things like 'that well known auction site', 'fleabay', 'evilbay' etc.

Thread: Whats the chance.....
03/06/2020 19:18:32

What photos? I don’t see any, apart from adverts...,,

Brian

Thread: Wilding’s tower clock
26/05/2020 21:28:40

Thanks for the helpful comments, chaps. At the moment it’s a long way in the future but it looks as if it’s not unachievable - I like the idea that the wheels are a reasonable size & not in watchmaker territory.

Incidentally Gerry, I couldn’t agree more about imperial fractions!

Brian

25/05/2020 20:04:34

During the current lock-down situation, my mind has been wandering on the subject of ‘one day in the (far) future’ projects.

Tower/turret clocks have always interested me & I’m wondering if John Wilding’s small tower clock is suitable for a total beginner to the world of clock making who has never even cut a gear, or is it similar to someone choosing a 7 1/4” 4-8-8-4 Big Boy as a first foray into loco building?

Thanks

Brian

Edited By Bodger Brian on 25/05/2020 20:05:08

Thread: Repair on cast base.
25/05/2020 19:47:05
Posted by JasonB on 25/05/2020 19:42:33:

It's the one with "original" on the packet and the red & black tubes. The Kwik and Marine are not as good particularly if you want it for it's heat resistance. Details

Ok - thanks for the explanation. I don’t need any now but it’s a useful thing to file away in the brain for future use.

25/05/2020 19:38:46
Posted by JasonB on 25/05/2020 19:05:13:

If structural then JB Weld but make sute it is "the original" formula.

Sorry for the ‘stupid’ question but how does one tell that it’s the ‘original’ formula? What’s the difference between the old & the new?

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate