By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pre-Paint Degreasing
06/09/2023 10:43:21
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 05/09/2023 12:04:49:
Posted by Graham Stoppani on 05/09/2023 06:25:49:

Dan Gelbart is rather dismissive of using solvents to prepare metals for painting. He says a sand blaster, bluing or Ajax, of all things, is best.

Suitably chosen solvents are unlikely to damage the surface, whereas abrasives do.

Maybe painting implies that scratching and pitting the surface isn't a problem, and it's often done deliberately to provide a key. But abrasives aren't smart if the object is to be anodised.

Degreasing and surface preparation are not the same thing!

You abrade the surface so the paint will stick to it mechanically/chemically.

You clean the surface of anything that will prevent the paint from sticking to it. This is the last thing you do before opening the paint, and it needs to be done with something that won't leave a residue that's incompatible with the paint. That's why petrol isn't a good cleaner for this purpose.

04/09/2023 19:47:10
Posted by Baz on 04/09/2023 19:25:30:

Grit blasting or cellulose thinners would be my first choice.

Thinners. He'll already have some to use with the primeryes

Thread: Thread size on xd 3420 motor
19/08/2023 10:38:12
Posted by noel shelley on 19/08/2023 10:29:07:

M8 x 1mm is a common enough thread ! more so in electrical stuff. As Jason says use an M6 x 1mm bolt as a thread gauge until you've spent a fiver on a set of thread gauges. Noel.

Fixed that for youwink 2

Thread: I need custard.
15/08/2023 10:06:10
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/08/2023 10:27:14:

Thanks for brightening up my morning ...

And mine, although this thread reads as if many of the posters have been imbibing fermented custard...

Thread: Thrust Bearing Blocks
12/08/2023 17:23:45
Posted by James Alford on 12/08/2023 14:07:16:

My daughter's boyfriend is developing an interest in woodworking and woodturning. He seems more interested in making smaller things and due to a lack of a workshop, works indoors. I wanted to try to make him a very small, lightweight basic wood turning lathe that he use on the dining room table.

That sounds just like the ones I saw in Lidl this afternoon. £50 spent would see him making his first cuts a few minutes after getting it home...

Thread: Alibre There Eventually - Sort of
09/08/2023 11:38:50

Creating internal cavities is no different to external features; draw a 2D profile on a plane or face inside the part but extrude/revolve/etc it so it cuts the material away. There doesn't need to be 'access' from the outside. If you want the new feature to be centred inside the part, create a plane mid-way between the relevant faces. You don't measure or decide where in space it is, the computer can do that far better than you. That plane could even be used to divide the part into halves when the design is complete.

Once again, it is dodgy thinking that is causing all your problems and a mentor physically looking over your shoulder would nudge you onto the right track,

07/08/2023 22:08:36
Posted by JasonB on 07/08/2023 18:32:23:
Posted by Ady1 on 07/08/2023 17:04:11:

You can see how Jason drew the original block in the smartest position, thinking ahead

But it's still too advanced if you can't do simple plans yet Nigel

I would say correctly placing the initial sketch is a fundamental requirement for any part and should be considered from the earliest stage of learning CAD and not something just for when you have advanced up a level or two. Be that drawing something Nigel has in his hand like the crosshead, a part yet not made or modelling parts from an existing 2D design.

It's also the bit that experience of traditional drafting ought to help with. Weirdly it's the people who don't have that practice that get on better.

Thread: Improve 3-jaw chuck repeatability
07/08/2023 22:00:54

Have you actually measured how bad (or not) your 3 jaw chuck is? While you're at it, determine whether it needs to be any better for the work you do. There's no point stressing about micron accuracy if your parts would work if measured with a caliper.

Adding another joint in your part holding is hardly likely to make for better/easier setups....

Edited By Nick Wheeler on 07/08/2023 22:02:08

Thread: Centre-Height Gauge in 5 minutes
06/08/2023 21:38:36

I just use a digital height gauge set to the measurements I took from the cross-slide and bed ways when I got the lathe. Those are on a sticker near the headstock.

It's not worth spending any more time than that on something I might use once a year.

01/08/2023 13:10:48

You are emphasising details like most of the dimensions too early in the design process. You'll start with a few basic dimensions - in this case the gears - and the need for other pieces, then build the rest around them just like you will when you've made the physical parts. It makes sense to me to define those dimensions as editable parameters from the start, which also aids in thinking about the design. A back of an envelope sketch is often good enough for this, which is no different to how you would have done the job with 2D drawings on paper. That sketch can also be done in CAD...

As Neal said, you don't need to determine dimensions of many of the other parts, but just define where and how they fit. That's because the dimensions, drawings, or most of the other processes are just steps along the way to having an actual part that does what you want - you don't get in your car and obsess about whether the piston diameters match the designer's original drawings do you?

I don't design assemblies as separate parts brought into a final file, but keep them all together. That's partly because the free version of Fusion only allows for 10 editable files at a time and you can't edit external files in place. It's also so much easier to see how your crankshaft fits into the crankcase and aligns with the bores as an example.

Thread: Why do modern car engines have different types of bolt type heads like Torx etc?
01/08/2023 09:10:31
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 31/07/2023 10:29:08:
Posted by Nick Wheeler on 30/07/2023 12:34:20:

Dave, the further into an engine you get, the less likely it is to find unusual fasteners. I wouldn't consider 12point male heads to be unusual for things like conrod bolts.

The worse offenders for this German, as they seem to have a competition for who can use the most different fasteners, seemingly scattered around at random.

I wondered if anyone had made a youtube video of an engine being dismantled so we could count them! Of course they have - there are loads of 'em.

'I do cars' is entertaining, but it's not easy to count different bolt head types and sizes, other than 'several'. And I was led astray by the many other interesting details!

This example may be of interest because it's the Ford Eco engine steviegtr reported, where the internal fabric belt frayed and blocked the oil feed. There was some discussion on the forum about chains versus belts. ECO Video here. (https://youtu.be/0yx1-50iqnA)

Now I've seen how a Ford Eco engine is built, I don't know what the designer was thinking! My guess is the belts did 150000 miles in a test rig, but there's something different about what happens inside a real engine, or that a different belt was used. In principle protecting a belt inside an engine not intended to last longer than the car is good, but if it goes wrong, bad things happen!

This LINK is a good example of what we're talking about. And while I agree that the wet timing belt is a terrible idea(ours was done last year at over £1500), the Audi Vee timing chains are a different nightmare especially when you see how the Japanese do them.

31/07/2023 09:46:43

Your 'practical' way of building it is exactly how you would design it in CAD - assemble the parts so they work, and build brackets/case around them using the relevant features(axes, mounting faces, bearing diameters etc) of the parts themselves.

Altering the length of the shaft would have been easier using a command to 'extend it to this feature' instead of you calculating how much it needed to be changed. Then when you need to move stuff around again, it will remain the required length.

I agree that a quick paper sketch before you started is a good idea, but it's to clarify your thoughts for the assembly - the wotsit must go here, but it turns the thingy so the side-fumbling dinglearm self reciprocates, so where can the output shaft end up? - NOT design the dimensions.

Thread: Denford pillar drill
31/07/2023 09:12:56

You could drastically reduce the amount of times you need to move it by using more modern paint; if you use ordinary 2k paint from an automotive supplier, you won't need the undercoat, acid, neutralising or rubbing down. Just degrease, pressure wash, dry in the sun and two coats of paint brushed on about 30minutes apart. Leave it a couple of hours to dry in the sun before reassembling the machine. Polish the column first, and mask the bottom before painting the base.

Thread: Why do modern car engines have different types of bolt type heads like Torx etc?
30/07/2023 12:34:20

Dave, the further into an engine you get, the less likely it is to find unusual fasteners. I wouldn't consider 12point male heads to be unusual for things like conrod bolts.

The worse offenders for this German, as they seem to have a competition for who can use the most different fasteners, seemingly scattered around at random.

Thread: Multiple Bearings in Spindle
25/07/2023 09:45:12

I'd be more concerned about the M7 nut on the other end. Although both look like candidates for loctite.

Thread: Quick change tool post and ball cutting
24/07/2023 23:46:41

I'm with Andy, in that I consider the QCTP to be the best value I've spent on tooling for both the lathe and mill combined. If I ever get a bigger machine, it will be getting one as part of the installation. Mine is Dickson clone, but I'd replace it with a wedge type, mainly because there are a number of special tools I think would benefit from being an integral part of the holder and dovetails are far simpler to cut.

Thread: HBM 250-550 Lathe Tooling
21/07/2023 19:06:43

I have a very similar WM250.

Much of my work is done with carbide insert tooling with 8mm shanks, but I've a couple with 6mm. There's no appreciable difference in performance. Bigger shanks would only get in the way, even if they could be mounted low enough to cut properly. The cost difference is against them too.

Thread: Budget Welding carts - Any good?
14/07/2023 13:39:31

I've had the Machine Mart supplied version for some time. It's handy enough that I wouldn't consider making a cart now.

The casters are not very good; expect to replace them soon with better ones

Thread: Sifbronze or silver solder?
12/07/2023 22:28:35

I think what Andrew using a donor chuck is not just the best solution, but the only one worth even considering.

Thread: Repair a small cast bell
02/07/2023 21:48:47

It's never going to ring again(although I doubt a thin cast iron bell ever did more than clonk), so epoxy the broken bit back.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate