By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
15/02/2019 14:11:47
Posted by mark costello 1 on 14/02/2019 18:01:46:

At the risk of a public flogging, I have a question from across the pond. The only Tea I have experience with is Lipton, is that anything remotely like what You Chaps drinkg?

Noooooooooooo!!!

Now go and wash your mouth out with some cold Yellow Label Liptons.

Ughhhh.

Thread: Filling defects in slideways
13/02/2019 05:10:33

IMHO, stone the high spots, and leave the low spots. Call it oil retention areas....

Thread: The Diamond Tool Holder
26/01/2019 07:01:31
Posted by Clive Foster on 20/01/2019 13:53:00:

ega

If downwards projection of the toolbit is an issue with tangential holders the simple answer is to switch to an Armstrong style!

As the video linked in the first post implies, but doesn't actually state, at the cutting edge tangential and armstrong tool holders are functionally identical devices. The only primary difference is that the armstrong bit requires two grinds for most tool shapes whilst the tangential bit gets away with one. If you have the grinding jig. The armstrong bit also consumes its cutting edge at every grind so it gets narrower and shallower over time whilst the tangential tool regenerates the edge in the same place with every grind. Of course an armstrong bit does not need a jig, although a simple angled fence can be helpful, and sharpening on the front of the wheel using the hollow ground method is trivially simple.

The real genius behind the Eccentric Engineering tangential toolholder was the realisation that the toolholder and uber simple sharpening jig combination added up to a price / performance / perceived value ratio corresponding to a successfully marketable product. Realising that there was also a touch of "new to this generation" novelty to provide serious marketing impact and keep the idea fresh was important too.

Well done that man. Seriously. Heck I almost bought one.

Fact is an equivalent simple, one universal angle, sharpening jig can be devised to use with armstong holders. With equally effective results given a simple half page instruction sheet explaining the hollow grind on front of the wheel method and how to hone the tool to keep it sharp. Possibly a footnote on packing up for various rake angles too. Which pretty much don't matter for the home shop guy so long as the thing is sharp and has some clearance.

But no one has ever made a go of a lathe tool sharpening jig for home shop guy. Southbend tried but theirs was too clever and too complex. Good tho'. Price / performance / perceived value being all wrong for a commercial product especially with everyone saying its dead easy to grind an ordinary tool. Which it is if you have someone to show you but un-mentored and working from books is a different matter if things don't click quickly. Especially if you don't know how much of a cut you ought to be able to peel off with a sharp tool. I've yet to see a written description of basic lathe tool sharpening that rates better than not very good from the solo novice viewpoint.

Doesn't help that the Americans never officially seemed to twig that the rocker in their obnoxious lantern tool posts is unnecessary when an armstrong is used. Simply roughly shim and change the tool bit projection for fine height adjustment. So the poor old armstrong system got tarred with the lantern brush.

Clive.

Edited By Clive Foster on 20/01/2019 13:54:32

As always, Clive is right on the money.

I have a Bison QCTP (Dickson clone with 19 holders) that is on my lathe 96% of the time. I have the original 4 way tool post that is used 1% of the time and a home made lantern tool post sans rocker holding an Armstrong holder for those awkward lack-of-space jobs or one-off tool bits for the other 3%.

As you can see, i find the lantern/Armstrong far more useful than the 4 way.

Thread: Using Hobs without a Hobbing Machine
02/01/2019 04:43:26

Phil P,

beautiful machine. Nice work. Kudos.

Thread: Hemingway Knurling Tool
01/01/2019 05:45:56

I'm the other way round.

The round stuff has always been far easier to machine (accurately) than the flat stuff.

All the best.

TG

31/12/2018 06:06:56

Nearly finished! Congrats.

I find most of the Hemingway Kits workshop tooling projects interesting to make and useful additions to the workshop.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
25/12/2018 03:11:22
Posted by Colin Heseltine on 15/12/2018 18:11:35:

In between trying to get the Chester mill motor off I have been making up a backsplash guard for the Myford Super 7.

Needs a bit more work to route the DRO cables and provide safe power to the DRO but basically finished it today. Fitted the DRO scales about 12 months ago and this is the first time I have powered them on. The display came of the Myford 7 I recently sold.

I need to fit the DRO modification to put the magnetic scale under the cross-slide but need the mill to do this or get my mate to do it on his Hauser jig borer.

Colin

backsplashresize.jpg

That is impressively attractive. Congrats.

Thread: Best way to turn long, thin brass job
24/12/2018 02:40:01
Posted by c wastell on 23/12/2018 18:26:09:

Well a big thank you to all for helping with my question. I went out to the workshop but found that I had no silver steel. As it's Sunday I decided to have a go at turning it straight down from a piece of 6mm brass as suggested. I shocked myself with a first time success! It seals better than the original item. I was mindful of the information regarding the lack of strength of the core metal but it seems OK, also bearing in mind that it never really has any load on it.

I don't know how they made them but I bet the process never modernised from the original. So maybe they were always turned

Thanks again all. That's another piece of history back on the road. It's a Moto Guzzi Superalce by the way. Built for the Italian army from 1946 to 1957.

Excellent.

Pic please of that fabulous motorcycle.

Regards,

a huge Guzzi fan...

Thread: Wall Storage Recommendation
23/12/2018 05:22:12
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 22/12/2018 21:35:57:

Plus 1 for Bisley

Make that +2 for Bisley.

Thread: Best way to turn long, thin brass job
23/12/2018 05:19:50

I'd contact Burlen Fuel Systems who own & make Amal and SU carbs among others. They have the tooling for such items.

They may even have an off the shelf needle that does the job or is the correct part.

Thread: Comparison of New Chinese and Old Russian Lathes
20/12/2018 04:36:23

Seen that one before. Still enjoyed it again though. Guy made a very good video. Looks coooold in his workshop...........

Thread: Ingenious Device
20/12/2018 04:21:29

Now that was clever! And funny.

17/12/2018 04:54:45

Those pin keepers were about the most difficult thing on the job......

Bloody tiny and too tiny for what i'm used to.

I dunno how model engineers do it with M2 and 8BA screws and tweezers..... Drive me potty with an eye glass and my podgy fingers...

Kudos.

Thread: How far to be off tool centre before a turned finish becomes poor?
15/12/2018 05:42:07

One of the most useful tools in and around a lathe is a centre height tool or gauge.

So much faster & precise than any other guess work inc tailstock "that'll do" centre.

Base either off the bed ways or cross slide.

Make a nice one in less than a day, dunno why more people don't use them / have them.

Thread: Optical Centre Punch any good?
14/12/2018 06:26:23
Posted by Vic on 13/12/2018 14:46:30:

There was an article in MEW showing how to make your own for those so inclined. We had a bought one at work and it was very good.

Indeed. Made my own, not difficult, nice little weekend project, just have to find the raw materials, ie a short length of perspex rod.

13/12/2018 03:31:46

I made my slots 1/4" wide to permit a far wider, and more importantly, cheaper choice of knurls. 1/4" wide is a very common size, ie 0.250 x 0.250 x 0.625 or 3/4" knurls.

I was a bit wary with the thickness either side of the slot, but the tool has been used in anger now for several jobs with zero problems.

Thread: Cost of deliveries
12/12/2018 14:48:55
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 11/12/2018 20:06:57:

Came across a post here regarding the high cost of deliveries from England to anywhere else,often much more than the cost of the items involved.

I have experienced this many times,item value £10 delivery £13/14.

Needless to say,that,s a non-starter.

Strange to say,not all suppliers seem to be bound by this creed,very odd !

Wonder what the position will be after next year ?

Watch this space ?

Sounds a wonderful deal.

Try living here, and we have 37% import tax and VAT on top of the price inc the shipping....

And then we've got the private couriers, DHL, Fed Ex et al, who can make charges up ass they go along.

The cheapest, bestest, most reliable postal services i've found are Royal Mail and USPS.

Sunshine & clear blue skies, shorts & barefeet on Xmas day does help make up for it......

Edited By thaiguzzi on 12/12/2018 14:50:29

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
12/12/2018 14:44:33

Listen to people in the know.

Everyone above has said no. Just don't.

I concur x 100.

Buy a lathe.

Buy a mill.

End of.

Thread: Fine Thread in Aluminium
11/12/2018 03:15:14

My modified Guzzi Cali III steel tank was converted to std Brit 1/4" BSP.

I just like 1/4" BSP in all my tanks (except my Yamaha ty trials bikes) because it's a great thread for the application, and, more importantly, such a wide choice of different style petrol taps available.

Thread: Confused about lathe.
11/12/2018 03:11:10
Posted by Chris Trice on 06/12/2018 12:05:58:

Could I recommend a visit and chat with Chris and/or Steve at Home And Workshop Machinery? No obligation to buy but lots of advice and demonstrations of non bodged second hand machinery. They've currently got some Boxfords in which apart from the colours, are in good condition with no "disappointments" lurking for the unwary. Also a good selection of all other makes. They're in Sidcup, Kent.

Concur.

Highly recommended.

My Tom Senior M1 came from them, sight unseen in person, only pics, scruffy, but with the quill feed S type head at a very good realistic price. Sent to my shippers in Wales who shipped it here to Thailand. Zero problems, very helpful.

Bought other tooling & spares as well over the years inc 3C collets.

Excellent company.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate