Comparison of New Chinese and Old Russian Lathes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt19/12/2018 15:02:55
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

This video is interesting, produced by a Russian chap:

It's important to read the comments on screen, especially about the accuracy.

Final conclusion is ... at the end of the video!

Neil

Chris Evans 619/12/2018 16:51:12
2156 forum posts

Shows a skilled operator can get the best out of a machine. I have used a few Russian "Stanko" brand mills. A bit 1950s design but can really shift metal.

Phil Whitley19/12/2018 21:25:36
1533 forum posts
147 photos

Nice one neil, interesting stuff. I have a mate just round the corner with a Stanko, unfortunalely it has had a bit of a hard life before he got it, but he is a millwright, and mainly uses it for repairs on shafting etc. It is built like a tank, and sounds about the same too!

thaiguzzi20/12/2018 04:36:23
704 forum posts
131 photos

Seen that one before. Still enjoyed it again though. Guy made a very good video. Looks coooold in his workshop...........

Bill Davies 220/12/2018 18:53:18
357 forum posts
13 photos

I was running an apprentice school in the mid-70s. My company had a contract to build machines for the Kamaz lorry factory. The Russians could not pay entirely in Western currencies, so the company also took machines and wheat (!).

A Russian vertical mill arrived in my workshop, and used conventionally. However, there was power feed available by push button, which the British machines lacked. One 'enterprising' apprentice discovered he could rough cast iron blocks using the rapid traverse - this with reasonable depth of cut and a 2-ich end mill. The mill seemed quite happy with this. As Phil says, the Russian machines were very robust.

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate