By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Waddington 2

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Waddington 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help needed to lift bandsaw curse.
02/03/2021 20:59:01

Femi NG120 ABS bandsaw is one of the best workshop investments iv’e ever made, never had a minutes bother with it, cuts clean and square every time, no matter what the material being cut. Makes all those generic Chinese clones look like junk......and i had several different flavours of them before the Femi.

Am interested to hear why you sent yours back OP ?

Thread: crane uprate - where would you add some metal ?
08/02/2021 22:50:35
Posted by Martin Kyte on 08/02/2021 22:39:51:

I'd be a bit wary of having that tractor on my nice blockwork patio too.

regards Martin

Tractor didn’t cause any issues, but the concrete waggon a few years prior did. chucked some boards down to spread the load, but the tight turn through the gates did some damage.

08/02/2021 22:11:09

Am always a bit suspicious of engine cranes, a lot claim to be capable of lifting 2 tonnes......yeah right.

I bought a commercial vehicle one for peanuts, no one wanted it because it was stupidly huge. Rating fully closed 2800kg, and fully extended 800kg. The thing is seriously beefy
Donated it to a pal who cut it up and attached it to the back of his tractor. To give a sense of scale the mill in the pic has a 56” bed, and the tractor is approaching 6 tonne

Advice to the OP would be don’t bother, if you need something heavier duty, just buy one,no point compromising safety.

image.jpg

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
05/01/2021 18:57:35
Posted by Pete. on 05/01/2021 18:33:05:

Lol, that's my lathe I bought recently, definitely a scam

30th of October to be precise.......nice buy that yes

05/01/2021 18:18:33
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 05/01/2021 16:12:11:

There is no one stupid enough to buy a lathe sight unseen is there & then pay BACS?? Hold on my brother in law who is not stupid purchased a tractor just like that & guess what it didn't exist!

Tony

Have sold a couple of lathes that way, and a milling machine, which was bought by a very nice man in Malta.

Not everyone is a scammer, but personally i always collect with cash, money is too hard earned to gamble with.

Thread: face milling
30/12/2020 11:31:12
Posted by Martin Connelly on 30/12/2020 09:30:07:

Using one tooth instead of three is the same effect as upping the feed by a factor of three. Maybe you should have tried a faster feed than you were using.

PS if there is a runout error of maybe 0.002" from the highest to the lowest insert then the 400rpm and 1" per minute feed will result in only one tooth cutting, one possibly rubbing and one not doing anything apart from sweeping away debris.

Agree with the above, using one insert pretty much puts you back to using a fly cutter, but should rule out any issues with the arbor/body alignment. On the cheapo i had, the triangular inserts were so far out from each other it was never going to cut correctly, you could see the differences by eye. Plus the actual insert angle looked wrong.

30/12/2020 09:08:41

Have you got a link to the tool, or a photo ? Asking because i bought a cheap 3 insert face mill once (Not from Arc) and it was useless, could never get a decent cut from it, and my mill is industrial sized.

Try running it with one insert and see if that makes any difference.

Thread: How surface hard does plasma cutting make steel?
16/12/2020 20:44:32

At the end of the day, plasma cutting and flame cutting etc are industrial processes, presumably expected to be machining with industrial sized machinery, which of course wouldn’t bat an eylid at a bit of a hardened skin. So not the suppliers fault in any way. Best way to get through it for a hobbyist would be to hit it with an angle grinder before attempting turning. As for the blow hole, just order a slightly oversized disc.

Thread: Hairline crack in CH boiler
08/12/2020 20:02:23

Sorry to break it to you, but classed as ‘immediately dangerous’ in the trade. Any attempt at repair would be a bodge. My advice is don’t use it, sell a kidney or whatever it takes and get a new one.

Thread: "restoring" a Colchester student, anything to consider?
26/11/2020 20:56:29

Buy it, Scotchbrite the rusty bits, stick on ebay With a £900 reserve.......job done yes

Thread: Camlock D1-4 chuck won't come off
21/11/2020 13:06:37

On my Colchester even when the locks are disengaged it can take a smack with a soft faced mallet for the chuck to pop off

Thread: Electric vehicles
18/11/2020 21:13:09

No need to worry about charging points in flats, terraced streets etc, once they introduce charge per mile motoring, only the well heeled will be able to afford to run a car anyway.

Thread: Evolution rage2
18/10/2020 19:06:24
Posted by Ady1 on 18/10/2020 18:47:04:

Just get a 125mm discs angle grinder, which cuts everything

I use blue spot 1mm stainless discs

Aldi may still have a few left in their stores, their online stock sold out fast

Not so good on Ally

18/10/2020 18:33:03

Second what Frances said, also bloody noisy, so earmuffs a faceshield, hat and scarf necessary in a confined space.

Got one here you can have for nothing if you can pick it up or arrange collection

Thread: Strength of Beams
12/09/2020 21:46:23
Posted by Hopper on 12/09/2020 12:23:43:
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 11/09/2020 13:00:24:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/09/2020 08:25:52:
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 11/09/2020 07:54:51:

Just one point-- They are not normally circular holes but hexagonal. That gives flat surfaces for the weld at the new meeting point.

I suppose that would depend upon one’s definitions of ‘they’ and ‘normally’

As I mentioned yesterday:

_____

Here’s an interesting page:

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 10/09/2020 21:34:21

_____

MichaelG.

The example you refer to with circular holes is not what I was referring to. If one wants to put a cut along the web of a beam then separate the 2 halves & offset & then re weld to form a deeper castellated beam one needs an edge to weld to. If the line was a wavey one the meeting points would not meet in a way which could be suitably welded & the holes would NOT be circular. Standard castellated beams cut from a simple I beam would be cut such that the line has flat edges for the weld. The hexagonal hole thus remaining would still leave room for services & I do not recall having difficulty installing them. I did fit quite a few tonnes of the stuff in a number of new schools halls etc But I do confess, that was 40 years ago & things move on, so If I am wrong then I stand corrected

The example in the one in the link would , presumably, be cut from an I beam with considerable waste.

Less waste than you might think when you look at the cunning way they are made with modern CNC cutting gear.

celbeam.jpg

I think castellated beams traditionally had hexagonal holes, because they were hand burned using an oxy acetylene torch. Straight lines are easier to burn by hand than circles. They bend like bananas when cut, we used to tack them together in a jig using metal wedges to straighten the halves back up.

Thread: varifocals
31/08/2020 18:02:52

No issues whatsoever in the workshop except welding with a head shield, and if you need to get really close to something in an awkward spot, like working on a car.

Thread: Welding precautions
16/07/2020 12:39:12

Not usually, suppose it depends on what vehicle it is and where the tank is located etc.

Bit of a thing of the past now welding sills on, but did loads in days gone by, never took tank out and lived to tell the tale.

Thread: Help please identifying a large vertical slide
14/07/2020 12:33:03

Harrison did a slotted table for the L5, so could be to compliment that. Colour looks about right.

Thread: TOOL BOXES
30/06/2020 23:02:19

Snap on, buy secondhand, they’re good quality and always be worth good money if you sell them on.

Costco used to do a decent stainless range at reasonable money.

Thread: ISO Container for Workshop
30/06/2020 11:57:05

Look for an insulated fridge container. No need to mess about lining it then.

You can get a 40 footer with a roller door for around a grand plus vat and delivery.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate