By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for michael darby

Here is a list of all the postings michael darby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stainless seamless tube
25/04/2016 14:03:19

Have you tried Stainless Metric Stock Lancashire. you can use grade 304 or 321 or 410 all are weldable dependent on your requirements

Thread: Tig welding.
16/04/2016 14:36:10

You need AC for aluminium

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2016)
15/04/2016 20:47:44

Most commercial vehicles have automatic drain valves now operate on a timer after the ignition is off and handbrake applied.

Thread: supplier praise
15/04/2016 16:17:22

I agree, people are quick to complain, but reluctant to praise excellent service

14/04/2016 19:34:31

Where are you, I taught welding for 15 years if I can be of any help. I am in north Manchester/

Thread: connecters
12/04/2016 16:16:27

Hi,I dont think they make them

Thread: Thytronic 155
10/04/2016 19:15:10

Hi the 4 pin plug is for current control hence the local/remote switch

Thread: C4 Guy Martin - Wall of Death
26/03/2016 09:30:20

one of Englands finest that man,he is down to earth and enthusiastic. a pleasure to watch

Thread: Cutting 6inch holes in 1.2 mm SS sheet
16/03/2016 17:55:27

See if your local engineering shop has a nibbler. a sheet metal or duct shop should have one. it only take a few minutes and if its the punch type ,there will leave no distortion. if you are near north manchester I will do it for you .

Thread: Hydraulic Forming
14/03/2016 19:07:56

We used to hydraulic form stainless steel bellows of many sizes. mainly for the nuclear industry.Quite straightforward .stacked rings with spacers,and capped top and bottom in a press to maintain pressure as diameter increases and hight reduces.

07/03/2016 15:00:18

Hi.TIG welding is just like embroidery, it takes patience and a rhythmical approach to feeding the filler wire into the leading edge of the weld pool. With aluminium, you need to extra clean,use a stainless steel brush to break the oxide layer. Start on 3mm material ,just putting beads on the plate.You will learn that you will need to increase the speed as the material heats up, use a big piece to start with,small pieces overheat too quickly.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
27/02/2016 20:24:15

Just a note on the metal in your eye, make sure its out, if you ever need an MRI tell them about it. if its still in it will cause extensive damage. they will need to x ray your eye first to ensure its gone. but they wont know if you dont tell them.

Thread: Old MIG Wire
26/02/2016 15:45:07

Hi, yes you can use your mig wire.however its quite thin and it will be difficult to control the weld pool temperature,by using the wire.

Thread: Rolling brass sheet
24/02/2016 19:48:27

Hi you had the rollers too tight causing the edge.to frill too tight causes the roll to bend.We used to roll polished stainless with cardboard both sides to prevent marking the sheet.

Thread: Cutting nickel silver
23/02/2016 18:10:14

No nickel is a very tough material to cut with any mechanical means. it will eat aw blades for fun.

Thread: Cooling Fan Pedestal
15/02/2016 18:36:20

The comment"this sort of thing" is typical of people who consider "originality" to be the be all and end all .When these vehicles were popular, modifications and upgrades were done all the time. similar things happened to motorcycles. and is still happening today. usually these mods are done for good reasons, better handling,better braking,more power or just asthetics for the owner.if I see an early car or motorcycle, I dont care what its had done to it, its just nice to see it on the road. I have myself a Norton 1959, with clip ons, rearsets and a 5 gallon ally tank and its beautiful. its value? dont care its mine and I bought it new. I would sooner sell the house than my bike.

Thread: Boiler fittings - is brass OK?
07/02/2016 16:24:37

I dont know if it helps, but "stainless steel" is just a generic term like "car" the range and diversity are almost limitless. from cutlery to aerospace ,mot only the nickel and chrome content can vary ,but other elements are added which completely change the characteristics of the material. so unless it is purely decorative,it useage needs to be specified and the correct grade obtained

Thread: Bending steel
06/02/2016 08:01:20

In solid steel ,that would be a fair weight . It could easily be done in plastic, using a hot air gun for the welds.then spray it with a can

Thread: Removing bearing housing
04/02/2016 13:39:24

I would suggest that on something so small, it would have been cast in. can you not bore it out and make a press in end,then pin it in a couple of places to secure it?

03/02/2016 14:25:32

Could do with a photo to establish requirements.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate