By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What is this fourth (threaded) hole in the die stock holder ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian John02/05/2014 14:14:28
1487 forum posts
582 photos

The die stock holder I ordered arrived today and there is a fourth hole which is threaded just to the front right in the photo. What is this hole for ?

**LINK**

Chris Parsons02/05/2014 15:28:36
118 forum posts
37 photos

I have this hole on some of mine too - never used it, only the top three but I thinks it's for dies that are not split - ie don't have a gap so they are held in two places?

If you have a screw in the centre in the split this stops the die rotating but when I was taught to use one I was told you could slacken this centre screw and tighten the outer screws to close the die up a bit to cut a deeper thread?

I never bother, just do all three up, never very tight and nothing has slipped so far (the force it trying to rotate the die in the holder and the screw in the split stops this?)

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me

Chris

Clive Foster02/05/2014 15:46:04
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Was told that the correct complement of holes is 5. All my decent ones are equipped with the three you normally use with a split die on one side of the handles and two on t'other side at left and right in positions corresponding to the fourth one on the die stock Brian bought. Allegedly this is so that hex die nuts can be held without damage using 4 screws with the fifth, split position, screw backed off and out of the way.

Apparently good quality hex die nuts should have suitable recesses in the sides for the screw points. Not that I've ever seen any so fitted. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen anything that might be called a good quality hex die nut. Always assuming there are such things. However several of my dies have recesses for the extra screws. Makes sense with the big pipe dies where some extra drive points are probably useful given that the stock is approaching 2 ft across so the long handles give plenty of leverage. But 5 driving points on a small die seems excessive. Think my 10 BA one has 5 recesses.

Clive

Roy M03/05/2014 23:52:32
104 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Chris, the split die should be adjusted so that it runs freely down a standard bolt, this will then cut slightly oversize.It will also make cutting the thread slightly easier. It should then be adjusted to take small finishing cuts which will result in perfectly sized threads with an excellent finish. Do not open the die too much if the die stock is too large, or the button die O.D. is undersized as there is a chance that you could break the die. The two screws to the side of the split should be nipped up to prevent the die from opening while in use (giving an uneven thread or breaking the die). By tightening these against the central screw, fine size adjustment can be made.

Hope this is of interest, Roy.

Edited By Roy M on 04/05/2014 00:02:44

Edited By Roy M on 04/05/2014 00:03:49

Tim Stevens04/05/2014 18:20:15
1779 forum posts
1 photos

And while we are on the topic, why do the makers never leave enough metal thickness for the grub-screws to engage properly? The average tap has a small chamfer in the slot, and this means that most of the point of the screw is up the hole, leaving too few threads enaged.

And is there an advantage in using grub screws rather than hex heads (or socket heads) ?

Cheers, Tim

jason udall04/05/2014 19:16:55
2032 forum posts
41 photos
Re grub screws...
No none ....apart from neatness..
But with you on the thin wall...but then it does save manufacturing cost..
Gordon W05/05/2014 09:36:17
2011 forum posts

maybe because grub screws come in cone-pointed variaties don't think set-screws do.

Brian John05/05/2014 09:40:01
1487 forum posts
582 photos

I thought ''grub screws'' and ''set screws'' were different terms for the same thing ?

WALLACE05/05/2014 10:46:19
304 forum posts
17 photos
Hex grub screws are easier to tighten than the flat blade screw drivers variety - and most of the car boot specials I have are usually missing the screws anyway !
Lambton05/05/2014 14:14:40
694 forum posts
2 photos

A set screw has thread all the way down from under the head as opposed to a bolt that only has threads close to the end with a plain portion between the underside of the head and this threaded part.

A grub screw has thread all along and is of constant O/D the head style is usually either internal hex. or slotted. The "point" can have various styles to suit the actual application.

Hope this helps.

Eric

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate