Nemett Bobcat

Engine Rotation problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Craigs14/03/2013 21:01:32
7 forum posts
6 photos

Have noticed a problem,

Have just finished the Bobcat Project and have been setting it up to start the engine. In 4448 page 153 is says to set to BDC and then rotate engine anti-clockwise (backwards) to 40 degrees. This engine by the description of the cam set up, rotates anti-clockwise viewed from front of engine (fly wheel end), so you would have to rotate engine clockwise for backwards to get to 40 degrees. I believe this to be contradictory.

The next problem is, if this engine rotates anti-clockwise, then the crankshaft thread should be a LH thread, so the prop or fly wheel does not inadvertently fly off. From this I would suggest that we change it to a clockwise rotation engine, which means if we set the cam shaft lobes the opposite as described i.e. anti-clockwise viewed from the chuck of the dividing head, then everything will fall into place, otherwise we make a LH thread crankshaft (unless I am missing something here).

As you can see from my pictures I have got another carburettor fitted this is a J.E Howel design (I have made the one as described as well), I will see which one runs best).

KWIL15/03/2013 09:20:41
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Engine must rotate anti clockwise view from the front (flywheel) end to tighten the nut, you use a spanner clockwise to tighten a normal thread nut, so the shaft has to rotate the opposite way, ie anticlockwise.

JasonB15/03/2013 10:21:02
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As KWIL says engine runs anti-clockwise when viewed from the prop end this is so you can use standard off the shelf propellors which are designed for that direction of rotation.

Also read the Note on page 152 of issue 4448 about fitting a locking device to stop the prob unscrewing in the event of a misfire. I think this is also mentioned on one of the drawings.

I suppose it all comes down to what Malcom called the front of the engine, as he was making the marine version then the flywheel would be at the back but if it were the aircooled then the prop would be at the front??

J

Edited By JasonB on 15/03/2013 10:28:13

Stub Mandrel15/03/2013 10:48:14
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

I believe Malcolm once had a prop shed itself following a misfire. It is interesting as of all the glow engines I have seen or owned, none of them has been supplied with a locknut.

Neil

Neil Craigs15/03/2013 13:09:53
7 forum posts
6 photos

I will have to apologise to everybody I have had a senior moment got completely disorientated the description is right no problems ,will keep people informed when I get it started will be fitting a water pump running off the fly wheel

Geoff Sheppard15/03/2013 14:24:51
80 forum posts
1 photos

I happened to be standing behind Malcolm when the mis-fire occurred and the prop wound its way off. Luckily the plastic safety fence was far enough away so that gravity caused the prop to hit the fence at about knee height. I had a perfect view of the face of the man standing directly in line with its trajectory - talk about a paleface! I've made a mental note to check that all crankshafts have a flat on them and a matching washer to discourage rotation.

We miss Malcolm.

Geoff

Stub Mandrel15/03/2013 21:34:28
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Good point Geoff - the flat and washer with a d-shaped hole IS something most of my engines have.

And, yes a shame Malcolm passed on so soon - he was shaping up to be a worthy succesor to ETX making IC engines accessible to all. I imagine he would have gone on to tackle furher interesting subjects.

Neil

Edited By Stub Mandrel on 15/03/2013 21:36:25

Doubletop26/03/2013 09:46:27
439 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Neil Craigs on 15/03/2013 13:09:53:

........................... when I get it started will be fitting a water pump running off the fly wheel

Neil

Mine is not going anywhere near an aircraft nor have a prop fitted just for bench running, so it will be the marine version with some means of pumping water through it. Therefore I'm interested in this option so if you have any ideas you'd like to share please?

Pete

Neil Craigs01/04/2013 10:58:15
7 forum posts
6 photos

dscf3084.jpgPete,

I have made a water pump from this site http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/combustion/howellwaterpump.htm very clever design will mount it off the crank or flywheel depending on the ratio see photos dscf3082.jpg

Doubletop02/04/2013 09:43:34
439 forum posts
4 photos

Neil

That looks very neat and thanks for pointing me over to Jerry's site. $21 doesn't seem to bad a deal when you consider some of the prices people charge these days

Pete

Doubletop02/04/2013 10:57:56
439 forum posts
4 photos

Well that started me on a journey when I realised that Jerry was the source of the ignition kit Hemingway are offering. A Google later led me back here to this thread

**LINK**

Plenty of info on the links quoted here for the beginner to get confused by but essential reading.

I also see that the double ended coil suggested for the Bobcat is no longer available. Any suggestions?

Pete

JasonB02/04/2013 13:34:51
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Novus 2 from Minimag should do the trick

**LINK**

Doubletop04/04/2013 09:56:13
439 forum posts
4 photos

Jason

Thanks, At risk of heading way off topic here so I'll move over to the old ignition system link and ask

Just worked it out so no need, thanks again for the info

Pete

Edited By Doubletop on 04/04/2013 10:00:25

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate