By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Is there an Android expert in the house …

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan24/09/2023 14:12:01
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

… if so, could you please help with what seems to be a very simple requirement, but it has me defeated ?

My cheap & cheerful Alcatel 1S runs Android 11

Where I live is a ‘not-spot’ for 4G signals because the tower is shadowed by a cliff, but some nearby locations have nearly line-of-sight, and it would be convenient to identify them.

Signal Level can be accessed on the ‘phone but is buried under several layers of menu !

Is there any way that I can put a shortcut on the home-screen that takes me directly to the relevant page:

|Settings| |System| |About phone| |Status| 

… it would make life a little easier.

Thanks

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 14:13:31

peak424/09/2023 14:34:28
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I'm no expert, but I couldn't find a way to easily display it, so I use Netmonitor app, which works well enough
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parizene.netmonitor&hl=en&gl=US

Handy for WiFi strength too.

Bill

John Haine24/09/2023 14:46:20
5563 forum posts
322 photos

I can't help you with a shortcut Michael, but what would you do if you had one? The phone will select the "best" serving cell on your registered network and I don't think there's any way to change that and make it use a different one, unless you changed network. Something like Netmonitor could help, or you could install the Opensignal app.

https://www.opensignal.com/apps

**LINK**

Michael Gilligan24/09/2023 15:33:56
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

At my property, the signal level is -100dB or worse

I know where the local tower is, and I know that there are dead-spots in the coverage

What I want to do is a quick check of signal level at any convenient point that I happen to find on my travels.

The ‘phone is difficult to use with my arthritic hands, and difficult to read without glasses … so I was just hoping for a slightly easier life.

MichaelG.

peak424/09/2023 16:13:30
2207 forum posts
210 photos

Right now I understand a bit more;
The other app I use is Network Cell Info; I use the free lite version and put up with the adverts which aren't too intrusive.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_GB&gl=US

It gives a nice clear easy to read display which might suit your needs without resorting to reading glasses.
The previous app I mentioned does have a rather small text.

network app screenshot_20230924-155159.jpg

I've never tried, but I think it allows you to build up a local signal strength map as well, though you might need the paid for version..

Bill

John Haine24/09/2023 16:22:12
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Bill, that's a cool app!

Michael Gilligan24/09/2023 18:49:18
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by peak4 on 24/09/2023 16:13:30:

Right now I understand a bit more;
The other app I use is Network Cell Info; I use the free lite version and put up with the adverts which aren't too intrusive.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en_GB&gl=US

It gives a nice clear easy to read display […]

Thanks, Bill … that looks very promising … I will download it forthwith !

The problem with the glasses is quite infuriating : For most of my life I was short-sighted, and needed to take my glasses off to do close work. But since I had the cataract surgery I am a little long-sighted [and fixed-focus], so I need to put glasses on to do anything closer than arm’s length away.

Very, very, pleased with the cataract job, but the performance with glasses and various magnifiers still doesn’t come instinctively.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ having just read the recent reviews, I may ditch it after completing my local survey sad

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 18:55:16

peak424/09/2023 19:26:03
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 18:49:18

Thanks, Bill … that looks very promising … I will download it forthwith !

The problem with the glasses is quite infuriating : For most of my life I was short-sighted, and needed to take my glasses off to do close work. But since I had the cataract surgery I am a little long-sighted [and fixed-focus], so I need to put glasses on to do anything closer than arm’s length away.

Very, very, pleased with the cataract job, but the performance with glasses and various magnifiers still doesn’t come instinctively.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ having just read the recent reviews, I may ditch it after completing my local survey sad

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 18:55:16

For me the app does what I need and seems to work OK, though I've not tried the local mapping; a number of the poor reviews seem to come from outside the UK.
Slight cellphone hitch round our way as the local conspiracy theorists set fire to the nearby mast on the 22nd.
Fortunately for me, not on Tesco/O2 network but still a pain for other users, as well as the guy who lost his HGV parked underneath.
Apparently, according to the bitchute videos, 23rd Sept was the trial date for 5G broadcast 18GHz pulses to enable the hidden viruses, and activate the graphine oxide, in the Covid vax jabs, with the full rollout on the 4th Oct, so I've no idea what they'll try and torch before then.

Re cataract surgery, I only had my right eye done as the left is largely still OK, so wouldn't have fallen within the grounds for a formal NHS referral. After discussing with the optician, our intention was to end up with balanced eyesight, as I'd still need glasses anyway for the left eye.
I'm used to just taking off the varifocals for closer bench work.
The eye hospital wanted to optimise for long sight in both eyes, and have my left eye done privately, but I did say I'd prefer what the optician and I had discussed.
The end result is, that the new right lens has left me long sighted, whereas the left eye is still short sighted, so daren't risk using machine tools as I can't judge close up distance.
I'm awaiting my 3rd prescription now, so hopefully I'll soon be back in the workshop again; as it stand at the moment I can see to drive on my left eye, as I can read distant and mid range number-plates etc fine, but struggle with any close work, and can't read newspapers etc.
I picked up two pairs of reading glasses from Aldi +1 & +3 and swapped one of the lenses over, so I can almost see to mend things on the bench; lining up the screwdriver with the screw is amusing, and I'm prone to soldering the wrong joints.

Bill

Peter Greene24/09/2023 19:57:23
865 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 18:49:18:

The problem with the glasses is quite infuriating ....

(I responded to this by starting a new thread to avoid a hijack here).

Michael Gilligan24/09/2023 20:06:27
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

The App seems to be doing its job nicely … indicating a good wi-fi signal and ‘no connection’ on the cell : the needle hasn’t moved off the -141dB stop yet.

The proof of the pudding will come when I take it out for a walk tomorrow.

Good luck with the conspiracy nutters.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate