Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

P M Research No 4

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian McVickers12/07/2023 21:01:30
261 forum posts
117 photos

Hi all,

Ive finally managed to get my PM Research No 4 nearing completion and running on air.

Video here https://youtu.be/e2f2Lar4r8M

I still have drip feed oilers to make for the stand,probably similar to the other 2 and was also thinking about a lid for them.

This was definitely a challenge to machine especially the stand. I will probably put the flywheel back on the lathe and redo it as I`m not happy with the finish and see about improving it. There is also a bit of wobble on the fly wheel due to the crank not being perfect but I will blame it on it being in 5 pieces and a pain to get true.

JasonB13/07/2023 06:52:58
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Looks to be running well. Regarding the crankshaft it is usual to make them from 4 pieces with the shaft full length and then cut out the middle of that once it has been assembled which helps keep the shaft straight.

Ian McVickers13/07/2023 18:02:39
261 forum posts
117 photos

Thanks Jason.

I assembled it as per the drawings and it was straight after assembly but isnt now. Its not out by much so maybe when I redo the flywheel I might attempt to straighten it out.

Just noticed the spelling mistake in the thread title, can this be fixed?

Blue Heeler21/07/2023 07:32:29
342 forum posts

Very nice build of a No4.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate