Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Simplex Axle springs

Where to purchase

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Anderson 109/06/2023 17:24:56
15 forum posts

Any one know what springs are needed for the original Simplex. And where to purchase them.

GLR13 which used to be quoted does not seem to be available.

Clive Brown 109/06/2023 17:42:59
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I bought mine from Reeves, but that was years ago. They still stock springs, but seem to have reduced the range of sizes, and, irritatingly, sell in pack of 10. For a suggestion, I'd try their 1.25" long x 3/16" bore for starters. They should fit over the hangers and aren't too pricey.

Dave Wootton09/06/2023 18:14:01
505 forum posts
99 photos

If you look on the Reeves site under springs there are two prices for apparently identical springs the higher price ones are in 12's the cheaper in 10's, it is not clear until you actually click on the item. which might explain why i bought 20 springs!

Dave

Clive Brown 109/06/2023 18:32:38
1050 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by Dave Wootton on 09/06/2023 18:14:01:

If you look on the Reeves site under springs there are two prices for apparently identical springs the higher price ones are in 12's the cheaper in 10's, it is not clear until you actually click on the item. which might explain why i bought 20 springs!

Dave

Ahhh! well spotted, another mystery solved. But who makes locos with 5 driving wheels?

Nealeb09/06/2023 20:56:15
231 forum posts
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 09/06/2023 18:32:38

Ahhh! well spotted, another mystery solved. But who makes locos with 5 driving wheels?

In the early days of the London Underground, wasn't there an experimental 2-5-2 intended for use on the Circle line?

David Anderson 110/06/2023 11:18:37
15 forum posts

Hi, Thanks guys for reminding me of Reeves.

I still do not know the size needed. 1 1/4" seems too long -I have been quoted 13/16" free length and 20swg.

Has anyone got a copy of the martin Evans book on Simplex to see what he recommends.

Dave

Dave Wootton10/06/2023 13:18:34
505 forum posts
99 photos

Hi Dave

Just had a look at the Simplex book and Martin Evans is silent on the subject of springs as far as I can see, certainly nothing in the section dealing with the rolling chassis. The springs are very easy to shorten on the bench grinder, so you could buy the longer ones and shorten them once you have the axleboxes mounted in the frames.

Will need adjusting once the loco is completed and standing on it's own six wheels at it's finished weight, so final trimming and adjustment can be done then.

Russell Eberhardt10/06/2023 14:29:12
2785 forum posts
87 photos

I have found notes that say I used 3/8" od x 1" long with 0.064" wire. Can't remember if I had to modify them at all.

Russell

Baz10/06/2023 22:24:19
1033 forum posts
2 photos

No good looking for spring spec in book or on drawings, Evans never specified anything for the springs. Lee springs will have something suitable in their on line catalogue, only downside is that they are not particularly cheap.

duncan webster11/06/2023 00:26:58
5307 forum posts
83 photos

ME drawings and suppliers very rarely give you all the info you need. Wire diameter, outside (or inside) diameter, length and number of coils are all needed. Russel above misses out number of coils.

I fitted 12 springs on the 4 wheels of my Sweet Pea, the idea being I got one set which I thought would be too stiff, and a second set too soft, then I could permutate to get 4 levels of combined stiffness.

Howard Lewis13/06/2023 14:27:39
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Coil spring design is not easy or straightforward.

You could try Vincent Springs. They are, or were, in Yaxley, near peterborough, as far as I know.

Withe the dimensions (free and compressed length ) and loads, they might be able to come up with somethging that suits

Howard

D.A.Godley13/06/2023 22:33:12
143 forum posts
41 photos

I have recently purchased some coil springs from the company , details below , they were very competitive , and on line there are all the dimensions you will require .

I bought them for the Wolverhampton & District Model Engineering Society, and I have no other connection with this vendor .

Coil Springs Direct

Unit 5
Hale Trading Estate
Lower Church Lane
Tipton
DY4 7PQ
United Kingdom

T: +44 (0)121 557 3081
E: [email protected]

i hope it’s useful to you .

David .

duncan webster13/06/2023 23:27:43
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Do they have a minimum order charge? Lee Springs sell direct, but expensive for small numbers

D.A.Godley14/06/2023 08:25:48
143 forum posts
41 photos

Duncan, I don’t believe there is a minimum order charge , but don’t hold me to that !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate