Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Custom nut (Round slotted knurled thumb nut

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Lee26/05/2023 13:39:44
11 forum posts

Hi all,

I am an antique fan restorer but unfortunately I don't know how to make parts.

I am hoping that I can get some help from a hobbyist here that can help me to make a nut and please see the 2 photos.

Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vzl3h0_BJ1HRvjrDgkmBsajB2mZWrobK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DPRbk_kCk7f_3ZgXQTBav8W_sU9yrNuf/view?usp=sharing

bernard towers26/05/2023 16:07:13
1221 forum posts
161 photos

If you post a drawing you may get a response

Martin Connelly26/05/2023 16:09:26
2549 forum posts
235 photos

They don't look hard to make but a drawing showing material, dimensions and thread would be required to progress to manufacturing.

The other alternative is to pass the nut to someone who can use it as a prototype and copy it.

A rough guide to where you are would help with the second option.

Martin C

DMR26/05/2023 16:18:10
136 forum posts
14 photos

Looks like a custom part for the job/manufacturer. Probably bakelite which you would be very lucky to find. It would not have to be identical for anyone to notice but the thread needs to be the right one. BSF would be likely if its a UK make. As Martin says, you need to say where you are to help with that.

Dennis

Philip Lee26/05/2023 16:53:53
11 forum posts

I can definitely do a drawing with measurements. I am in Croydon, Surrey. Anyone near me?

bernard towers26/05/2023 17:10:23
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Does distance matter

DC31k26/05/2023 17:17:28
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by DMR on 26/05/2023 16:18:10:

...Probably bakelite

What leads you to that conclusion?

In the photos the OP has posted, the part looks a little too metallic for that to be a possibility.

Edited By DC31k on 26/05/2023 17:17:53

Philip Lee26/05/2023 17:39:09
11 forum posts

Hi all,

Please see measurements and detailed photos. I don't know what material is it as I am not that technical.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HWhgbM66dfn1nRhUcrpl5fOoHYwAYyp8/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pe8bb13unBs3aesEdcIFLZhaUGj9U5LH/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s-qN_wmHo6hq8lsIerm8Uy9E04DLH3lr/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/159rueswZhKQq9lEbgkUlTKsn48xZZHxS/view?usp=share_link

Please let me know if anyone can help me out? I am happy to pay for your time/effort. I don't know the the thread measurement though. Perhaps it is something I can tackle myself?

Thanks in advanced.

Howard Lewis26/05/2023 17:47:25
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Even with dimensions, without knowing the thread (Size, and Form; Whitworth / BSF / BA/ Metric, etc) sadly, it will not be possible for anyone to help. You can't screw a BSF nut onto a BSW threads, for eaxample.

Howard

Philip Lee26/05/2023 17:55:19
11 forum posts

i understand about the thread size. As mentioned, can the nut be done so that I can tackle the thread myself? If not, I just have the buy a couple of imperial size nut and see which one fit and determine the size that way?

Howard Lewis26/05/2023 18:18:31
7227 forum posts
21 photos

This sounds like the dreaded "Can you just?"

To make the nut, the raw material will need to be faced, the OD turned to size, knurled, followed by drilling and tapping.,rbefore being eversed in the chuck to be fdaced .

You will need the correct Taps, (A set of three, ideallky. You will have great difficulty using just a bottoming Tap ) and a tapping size drill to cut your own thread.

Once you know what you have to produce..

Producing the thread as a second op, out of the lathe, risks producing it off axis and probably off centre. A job best done in the lathe while turning and knurling the OD.

Unless you are a good guesser, you may need several tries to get the correct nut to determine the thread

(And hardware suppliers are unlikely to be happy sell you just one nut. Some have a minimum order value ). Would you want to pay £6 for one nut only to find that it is the wrong one?

Better to determine what the thread is and to cut it while the job is still in the lathe.

What material do you want? And if steel, do you want it natural or blacked finish?

You need tohave the enswers to these questions before much can be done.

Howartd

Philip Lee26/05/2023 18:26:33
11 forum posts

i think i should be able to find out the thread size. Thanks for explaining these details to me as I have no knowledge of it. I think I will have to find out the thread size before progressing further here. Howard, are you able to do it for me if I have the thread size? Thanks.

Regarding the material, I am not fussed about it really and steel natural finish should be good.

Thanks.

Philip Lee26/05/2023 18:28:07
11 forum posts

I have the male side thread and is it possible to measure the male size thread or get a couple of imperial size nut to determine the right thread size? What tool can i buy to measure the thread size?

Nicholas Farr26/05/2023 18:57:05
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Phillip, you need thread gauges to measure the thread you need, e. g. Arc Euro Trade

Get the Metric/Whitworth ones if it is British.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/05/2023 19:03:32

JasonB26/05/2023 19:47:16
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As you already have a nut you could work out the pitch by counting say 5 full turns of the nut and measuring how far along the male thread it moves. Then a measurement of the male thread's diameter and country of origin should get you looking in the right direction

DC31k26/05/2023 20:19:57
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Philip Lee on 26/05/2023 17:55:19:

If not, I just have the buy a couple of imperial size nut and see which one fit and determine the size that way?

Another possibility is to send the part the nut screws onto (the male thread) to the person making the nut. If they have the ability to make the nut, there is a high chance they will be able to ID the thread.

There is also some chance that the thread will be used elsewhere on the fan, so that might be another source of a male thread to send away for analysis.

bernard towers26/05/2023 21:03:51
1221 forum posts
161 photos

diameter looks a bit like 5/32 and tpi should be simple enough with a good rule and eye loupe

Philip Lee26/05/2023 23:02:47
11 forum posts

Thanks. 5/32 looks like BSW and 32 TPI, i can't see others.

https://international.optimas.com/technical-resources/bsw-bsf-thread-dimensions-chart/

Am I nearly right?

JasonB27/05/2023 07:00:09
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Do the turns of the nut test to confirm the tpi

What was the earlier measurement you put on the drawing the OD of the male or the clearance of the female hole in the nut?

What country does the fan originate from as that will be a good indicator of likely threads used

Nicholas Farr27/05/2023 08:51:22
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Phillip, I agree with JasonB about the measurement that you have indicated on your nut drawing. A 5/32" thread will have a clearance hole in your nut of about 3.3mm, but not much more than 3.4mm. If the measurement you have shown is the O/D of the threaded stud, then 5/32" is probably correct.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate