Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Aluminium Boiler

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Bennett07/02/2023 12:58:13
500 forum posts
31 photos

Back in WW2, Stuart Turner produced a device, using a Sirius steam engine and an attached boiler - the Firefly. I recall it was described in ME years ago. It was used by partisans (Listen carefully; I shall say zis only wince) in France to recharge the batteries in their radio sets so they could communicate with London; fuel was just bits of wood and suchlike.

Stuart Turner then redesigned it, using a single-cylinder piston valve engine and a finned cast-aluminium boiler. There's an article here about this later type:

https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/steam.htm

Anyway - I am now in possession of one of the latter variants. It's been used quite a lot judging by the soot on the boiler, but I am intrigued by the fact that it's aluminium - and it's been full of water for the last thirty years at least!

Here it is in its box with all the connecting pipes clipped into the lid:

dscn7951.jpg

Intriguing-looking piece of kit; I haven't connected up any of the pipes.

dscn7952 (2).jpg

The engine has a variable-stroke feed pump and an integral lubricator pump also. Exhaust is directed up the chimney to draw the fire.

dscn7954.jpg

It even comes with a spare gauge glass in the box.

dscn7955.jpg

Has anybody ever steamed one of these with its original cast aluminium boiler? Those pressure cookers we cheerfully use in the kitchen (only at 15psi) aren't a lot different; you don't hear of many of those exploding.

I would imagine anybody wanting to run this device in public would have to make a new copper or steel boiler to get insurance for it.

Hopper07/02/2023 13:29:43
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Wow. Awesome piece of history. It looks like you could unbolt the front and inspect inside for corrosion. Pressure cookers usually have a safety valve, even if it's just a rubber plug. Does this have some sort of safety valve?

Martin Kyte07/02/2023 14:32:01
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Looks like a safety valve the other side of the water guage,

regards Martin

Rod Renshaw07/02/2023 15:46:15
438 forum posts
2 photos

I saw one of these sets ( or one like it) on display at a traction engine rally once. The owner had it in steam and powering the engine/ generator set to produce power to light a lamp

. The owner said that the boiler was effectively in 2 halves which screwed together so it could be disassembled for cleaning out.

On active service the water would often have had to come from streams or pools etc, I don't remember seeing a boiler feed pump or any boiler drain valves. The set seemed quite a big heavy thing but I suppose in the days of valve/ tube radios it was needed to recharge the accumulators without making a noise.

Rod

Nigel Bennett07/02/2023 16:19:37
500 forum posts
31 photos

Yes, Hopper; that's a fairly substantial safety valve to the right of the water gauge. The website I referred to said it was run at 60psi, so it would make quite a bang if the aluminium gave way. Funny stuff, when it gets old...

Nigel Graham 207/02/2023 16:37:01
3293 forum posts
112 photos

These were sent to Norway too, and I recall seeing one engine and dynamo combination at least, in the Resistance Museum in Oslo. I can't recall if it has the boiler or not.

Paul Kemp07/02/2023 19:22:41
798 forum posts
27 photos

What a lovely thing to have. Make a new compliant boiler and you can charge your iPhone with it!

Paul.

Ady107/02/2023 23:20:10
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by Paul Kemp on 07/02/2023 19:22:41:

What a lovely thing to have. Make a new compliant boiler and you can charge your iPhone with it!

Paul.

laugh

A fabulous bit of history for collectors

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate