Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

LED Battens Drivers

High Voltage Units?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Cook 631/01/2023 15:08:49
462 forum posts
113 photos

I recently bought some fairly cheap Chinese made 6ft 60W LED battens to replace the fluorescents in the workshop.

led battens.jpg

Two failed (one DOA - transit damage - and one shortly after installing). Both were replaced without quibble under warranty.

I decided to open the failed units (they did not want them back) and see if there was anything useful inside (as you do!). One had failed due to a badly soldered wire - very quick fix. The other had a blown chip - magic smoke had come out. They are interesting in design. They have two 3ft strips each with two rows of 75 LED's end to end. Driver electronics for each strip are in the ends, and mains voltage is carried from end to end down tracks on the strips.

led strips.jpg

led markings.jpg

The strips looked useful if I could obtain replacement drivers. So I measured the DC voltage used by the strips in one of the working units. 420V+ !!!

Presumably the 150 LED's in each strip are in series and the drive electronics supplies 70ma from full wave rectified mains voltage.

Anyone seen a source of (cheap) LED drivers that push out 400+volts?

Edited By Peter Cook 6 on 31/01/2023 15:10:35

bernard towers31/01/2023 15:35:09
1221 forum posts
161 photos

400 volts and LEDs surely not!

Ian P31/01/2023 15:46:08
2747 forum posts
123 photos
Posted by bernard towers on 31/01/2023 15:35:09:

400 volts and LEDs surely not!

Why not?

They are arrays of individual LEDs each operating off low voltage, low current but connected in an array.

Ian P

Bazyle31/01/2023 15:46:24
6956 forum posts
229 photos

While inevitable that all the LEDs are in series it does present a reliability nightmare as every single one failing brings the whole unit down, even though this case was the chip.

You might look around for for scrap floodlights. I picked one out of a skip for the aluminium housing but the reason for failure was the square LED array not the psu. Since the array on it's own was more than the whole assembly it was BER. I couldn't think of a use for the psu as it was fully encapsulated so too difficult to get to the bits to make it adjustable for any other use.

Sonic Escape12/02/2023 21:46:28
194 forum posts
5 photos

It looks like it is possible to change the strip configuration. By desoldering an LED maybe. Then you could divide the 420V strip in two. If the two resulted strips are connected in anti parallel you can connect them directly to 230AC. With only one good quality film capacitor in series to limit the current. A value between 10-15μF should cause the necessary voltage drop at 70mA.

Of course such a circuit will not be safe to touch in any point. And maybe could cause some 50Hz flickering. But in the absence of other options, it is worth trying

Edited By Sonic Escape on 12/02/2023 21:49:54

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate