Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Tool and Cutter Grinder Air Bearing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Les Riley29/12/2022 16:46:22
48 forum posts
11 photos

I have acquired an air bearing for my T & C grinder. I have never played with one before, though I have sharpened flutes the basic way.

Does anyone here use one and if so could you advise me on the working pressure of the air supply please?

Les

peak429/12/2022 19:39:36
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I too have one which I use occasionally on my Clarkson, though it's a bit big for it really.
In my case it uses very little air at all; I have a small Gast diaphragm compressor, originally for keeping +ve pressure in underground cables.
It's very similar to an airbrush compressor, but I find the air flow is so low that it gets quite hot; it really needs an air bleed.
One thing I would consider is adding a small desiccator; mine is just the little plastic bowl type, to which I've added male and female airline connectors.

Enjoy the new toy, it really is a lot easier than whatever you've used before.

Since I last used it, I've completed a small portable compressor setup using a Gast flat twin, with a 10l pressure vessel and pressure regulator switch etc.
I've yet to try it on the air spindle, but I'm sure it will be well over spec for the job.
Have a look on Ebay UK only and search for
"air compressor pressure switch control valve"
Once you get above about £9.75, you will find some controllers complete with gauges, fittings and other useful bits.

Bill

noel shelley29/12/2022 21:58:52
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Is it a clarkson, do you have all the collets and do you have the instructions ? If not PM me ! The answer is 90 psi. Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 29/12/2022 22:11:51

Les Riley30/12/2022 10:20:09
48 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for the replies.

It is a March. However, looking at pictures of a Clarkson online, I suspect that Clarkson are only a rebranded and March are the original manufacturers.

Noel, I am sending you a PM.

Les

air bearing.jpg

Chris Evans 630/12/2022 17:35:00
2156 forum posts

I have an American "Cutwell" (sold by Brierly (sp?) ) 90 psi is required.

Neil Lickfold30/12/2022 21:08:15
1025 forum posts
204 photos

Do make sure that you have an airtrap in the supply line along with filter. Dry air is the best, otherwise they can rust.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate