Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Valve timing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Callaghan03/11/2022 22:13:49
173 forum posts
7 photos

Hi, can anyone please explain to me the method of setting valve timing by blowing into the locomotives cylinders please. Thanks

bernard towers04/11/2022 18:17:49
1221 forum posts
161 photos

I had a friend who did his timing by using jars filled with water and tubes from the exhaust into these jars thereby pinpointing the exact time the exhaust opened.

Michael Callaghan04/11/2022 19:28:17
173 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks. That’s the sort of information I was looking for.

Jon Lawes04/11/2022 19:42:17
1078 forum posts

Following a recent thread on the subject on a different site I think you can get a better feel by attaching a tube to the drain cocks and gently sucking.

Michael Callaghan04/11/2022 20:08:21
173 forum posts
7 photos

Now that’s a good idea thanks jon

bernard towers05/11/2022 12:08:36
1221 forum posts
161 photos

I think the bubbles in the jar of water is more accurate.

Paul Lousick06/11/2022 07:14:39
2276 forum posts
801 photos

Timing should be done when the engine is hot and parts have expanded. (And I would not recommend sucking, especially on a large/full size engine with steam and oil)

JasonB06/11/2022 07:25:41
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by bernard towers on 04/11/2022 18:17:49:

I had a friend who did his timing by using jars filled with water and tubes from the exhaust into these jars thereby pinpointing the exact time the exhaust opened.

If the exhaust opens before the inlet due to lap how does blowing show when the exhaust is open? Unless you are blowing into th edrains and not the inlet.

If you suck from a drain cock you will draw in air through the exhaust regardless of whether the inlet is open or not.

Like wise sucking on the drain cock with eh exhaust blanked off will indicate when the inlet opens.

If you want to use water in jars and avoid sucking in something nasty have a sealed jar with two connections - one for a pipe to go into the water and another above the water to suck.

I also doubt that any blowing into the cylinders via drain cocks would work, at least not on a slide valve setup as the valve would just lift, may be OK on piston valves.

Edited By JasonB on 06/11/2022 07:32:31

Edited By JasonB on 06/11/2022 07:46:55

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate