Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Compound Beam Engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DrDave03/08/2022 17:52:55
264 forum posts
52 photos

Down in Taunton last week, we found this beam engine in the museum. It had been used to power a local silk mill.

I have not seen a twin cylinder, compound beam engine before. The high pressure cylinder has both a smaller diameter and stroke, compared with the low pressure cylinder. If I didn't have 20 other projects on the go, it looks like a good subject for a model.

Compound Beam Engine.jpg

Howard Lewis03/08/2022 18:10:50
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Some of the Cornish Tin Mines used compounds for pumping, although, by modern standards, ,pressures were low.

James Watt used his patents to keep a hold, on engines in Cornwall, and elsewhere.

It was Richard Trevithick who believed in using "Strong steam" ( 40 psi vs Watts 5 psi ), so compounding would have greater benefits with higher pressures.Wolff was an exponent of compounding, in Cornwall mine engines.

Howard

JasonB03/08/2022 18:17:12
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

There are a few of the Woolf compounds about, Preston's has one if I remember rightly.

More about this one on Grace's

V8Eng03/08/2022 18:43:42
1826 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by JasonB on 03/08/2022 18:17:12:

There are a few of the Woolf compounds about, Preston's has one if I remember rightly.

More about this one on Grace's

Another one at the London Museum of Water and Steam near Kew Bridge.

Handy for us in the region!

Easton & Amos

Edited By V8Eng on 03/08/2022 18:46:48

DrDave03/08/2022 18:44:28
264 forum posts
52 photos

Thanks for the link, Jason. I was not aware of that web site. Seems the compound beam engine was more common than I thought!

roy entwistle03/08/2022 19:35:25
1716 forum posts

Bolton steam museum have at least one.

duncan webster03/08/2022 22:33:36
5307 forum posts
83 photos

A better method of adding a HP cylinder to a beam engine is to put it at the crank side of the beam pivot as in McNaught engines. This reduces the bending load in the beam compared with both the same side. A lot of one cylinder beam engines were retrofitted with a second HP cylinder .

Ramon Wilson03/08/2022 23:23:51
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Not forgetting this lovely example of an Easton and Anderson compound at the Forncett Steam Museum.

img-3400-rt_orig.jpg

Always thought this would make for a lovely model project too

Bit late in the day for me now though

Tug

John Olsen04/08/2022 03:13:08
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

The pumping engine at Western Springs in Auckland NZ is a compound. It actually has four cylinders and two beams, all connected to a single flywheel with a crank on each side. The HP bore and stroke are smaller than the LP, as with the engines above. Two pumps were driven, one from each beam.

The Hamilton beam engines in Hamilton Ontario are similar, except that there are two flywheels, making two separate engines with two cylinders each. Another difference is that the Hamilton engines have Watt's parallel motion where the Auckland engine has slides.

Actually once each cylinder would have been referred to as an engine, I'm not sure when that would have changed. The Hamilton engines are 1857-59, the Western Springs one was 1860's

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate