Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

3D printing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joe McKean29/05/2022 17:38:18
60 forum posts
3 photos

I am looking for someone that can 3D print a pattern locomotive wheel for me so that I can have some cast, it is for a 3.5 gauge Pennsylvania A3 Switcher that I am in the process of building.

I have all the measurements for it and can supply photos from various angles of the pattern.

All costs for material, postage and time spent in doing it will be covered so if anyone is able to help me out with this could you please get in touch.

Joe

JasonB29/05/2022 20:42:49
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Castings are available but a bit pricey particularly once you add in postage from the US

PatJ29/05/2022 22:04:18
613 forum posts
817 photos

I wish I had time to get into this.

It would be a good exercise. I can make iron castings too.

Workload has me tied in knots right now.

Here are a few photos I saw at NAMES a few years ago.

rimg_3621.jpg

rimg_3624.jpg

rimg_3626.jpg

Huub29/05/2022 22:36:42
220 forum posts
20 photos

It seems these castings are pretty expensive. For that price you can get a 3D printer and make the moulds yourselves.

I have bought a 3D printer last year (artillery) and it worked out of the box (1 hour setup). Then I spend a few weeks of learning Freecad (every evening 1 Youtube video) to make 3D models. Now I wished I had done this years ago.

Printing the moulds doesn't take much time. It is just a matter of inserting the USB stick with the file to print. The printer, can than run,unattended, for hours.
The cost of materials (filament) are low (20 € / kg). In general, the material cost for my 3D printed parts are comparable to metal stock.
Making the 3D model can be time consuming. I don't think you are the first that wants to print a mould. Aren't there any 3D models to download?

Edited By Huub on 29/05/2022 22:38:29

Neil Lickfold30/05/2022 06:23:03
1025 forum posts
204 photos

I am getting two parts cast for me, for making a milling machine flexure quill clamp and another of the same casting for the depth stop and DRO mount. The cost for these two patterns cast in Auckland in SG iron is close to $300 for them, that includes the GST and new courier fees. It is largely based on the weight of the casting and the man hours that goes into making the casting box up. I don't know anyone doing their own castings so was left with what it is. If I made the pattern so that one was required for each and cored the under sides etc and got the weight down, then the casting cost would have been cheaper. But they also have minimum order casting values as well, so in my case of only getting two or one of each, the price is around the same. I got my pattern 3d printed and cleaned it up a bit better on the sides so that it looked like a pattern should be with nice clean sides.

Making things is a lot of fun, but computer 3d modelling of stuff is not for everyone, and I very well understand that as well. I know many that can make things on lathes, mills, edm etc, but just can't get their head around cad systems and cnc programing.

The way things are, if the patterns in the link is what you need, my suggestion is to get the set and a lathe etc and start enjoying the process of making your project.

If computers are your thing and you have the ability to learn new skills like cad software etc, then you can get a printer and print away and lots of things as well as patterns for projects or nick nacks for around the home, it's a hobby all on it's own these days.

Most of all, ejoy what you are doing what ever it is you choose to do. I find that you can spend too much time trying to save money , and then end up not enjoying the process of the hobby.

JasonB30/05/2022 07:02:26
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As it sounds like Joe also needs the wheel modelled in 3D that is where the time (cost) will be not the actual printing. Could probably refine the surface himself to keep costs down or as they are not large wheels they would fit in a small resin printer and should then be ready to cast straight from the printer.

Are the back faces flat or recessed?

Gary Wooding30/05/2022 09:35:21
1074 forum posts
290 photos

Joe: You have a PM

Joe McKean30/05/2022 19:08:53
60 forum posts
3 photos

Jason in answer to your question the back faces are flat,I did see that castings were available from the US but the prices have shot up and it is now USD 62 per casting plus USD 100+ postage and them I'm sure I would be stung for some sort of tax or other at this end so I would be looking at over USD 400 plus tax.

Regards

Joe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate