Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Swedish Iron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Norfolk Boy19/04/2022 21:12:11
74 forum posts
18 photos

I have come across some lumps of 3" diameter swedish iron. I realise from google that it is fairly pure and has great magnetic properties if heated to a level I could not attain, and is used as sacrificial anodes and armatures etc. I was wondering if anyone has turned any and what it's usability in model engineering might be. Does it compare with any other metals for example. Is it too soft to be of value.

Thanks Alan

John Haine19/04/2022 22:03:16
5563 forum posts
322 photos

It's very soft and an absolute pig to mill in my experience. Only real application is for making magnetic polepieces.

Nigel McBurney 120/04/2022 08:40:11
1101 forum posts
3 photos

I agree ,certainly not easy to machine very soft and stringy,I had experience of it as polepieces when converting electric typwriters into solenoid operated automatic typewriters,one solenoid for every key operated function.

Martin Kyte20/04/2022 08:52:46
3445 forum posts
62 photos

I turned the cores for the solenoids on my Synchronome from Swedish Iron and they turned reasonably. As has been said it's a bit soft so I used HSS with a decent rake. We had some left over at work from our XRAY generator development. I would save it for making cores.

regrds Martin

Norfolk Boy20/04/2022 20:59:48
74 forum posts
18 photos

Thankyou for your replies gentlemen very helpful.

Alan

John Olsen21/04/2022 11:12:07
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

The iron has its magnetic properties at ordinary temperatures. Where the high temperature bit comes in is that any iron will lose its magnetic properties at a high temperature. With soft iron like this, the permeability will drop at a high temperature, but it will regain it when cooled. With hard irons like permanent magnets, they will become demagnetised at a high temperature, and will remain demagnetised when they cool. The temperature this happens at is called the Curie temperature, and is the same temperature you want to attain for hardening things like silver steel, eg Cherry red, or more usefully, about the colour of a boiled carrot. This all happens because this is the temperature at which all the crystalline structure gets disrupted by the heat. It is not really a difficult temperature to reach, a propane torch will do it nicely.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate