Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Milling cutter insert identification

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Hall 703/03/2022 16:30:21
90 forum posts
2 photos

Hi, I need help identifying the inserts available for a Sandvik Coromant cutter I have. It has 3 inserts.

written on the side of the cutter is.

R215.44-40A32-15CL.

I’ve looked on Sandvik’s site, but couldn’t find any relevant information.

it doesn’t seem as straight forward as identifying lathe tool inserts.

cheers John

Baz03/03/2022 17:38:30
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Try google, took me 30 seconds, first result UK. Misumi -ec.com, Sandvik U-Max insert for milling R2154415T308MWL3040.

Edited By Baz on 03/03/2022 17:39:24

John Hall 705/03/2022 16:19:42
90 forum posts
2 photos

Already tried Google..lots of R215.44 stuff,but no relevant information…

Ive emailed Sandvik…

DC31k05/03/2022 18:01:47
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by John Hall 7 on 03/03/2022 16:30:21:

It doesn’t seem as straight forward as identifying lathe tool inserts.

If the cutter uses a non-ISO insert, it will be proprietary to the manufacturer. Also, the technology may have moved on and the cutter and insert may be obsolete.

As the post above notes, the insert code appears to be as shown. Another possible source is Cromwell:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutting-tools/milling-inserts/r215-44-u-max%E2%93%A1-milling-inserts-grade-4030/f/78165

The R215.44 part seems to be the insert designation: the other parts of the code yout quote are probably specific to the cutter itself - number of inserts, shank diameter, length, etc.

John Hall 705/03/2022 18:18:54
90 forum posts
2 photos

I’m trying to find any information regarding the insert codes..there’s lots of different ones. There looks to be lots available, but with a different code after the R215.44…obviously for different applications

Neil Lickfold05/03/2022 19:01:24
1025 forum posts
204 photos

The R215.44 is the iso code for Sandvik Right hand milling insert with a 15mm length insert. These inserts will fit any cutter body with the same precursor id code. They have many different grades for many different materials. Then they can change that code and it becomes obsolete as they go to a newer geometry insert, even though it may still be 15mm long. I got given a cutter body and 1 set of inserts as that is now obsolete. Some places may make inserts that still fit it, but not Sandvik. So the newer stuff is now very positive cutting and reduced power consumption, cooler cutting, and leaves less stress in the material being cut.

DiogenesII05/03/2022 19:12:10
859 forum posts
268 photos

FWIW.. ..Begging DC's pardon, I think some of the numbers might also refer to insert dimension, tip radius and ?maybe ?grade? or could be another attribute? ... 'cos they seem to come in 9 or 15mm depth of cut i.e. 09(high) 02(thick) 08(tip rad) + other attributes, the 15's look like they are 15(high) 03 /4(thick) 08/16 (tip rad) etc, obsolete grades are hard to find and I'm out of my comfort zone here in any case.

The size of the inserts will be essential information if you want to get any further, tip rad & grade will depend on what you want to use them for / availability of same might dictate what you can use them for..

Might be worth dropping a line to this man via his Ebay store;

Ebay.co.uk - Dellunn

..I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer - he seems to know his stuff.. ..he's also a bit cheaper than Cromwell..

Edited By DiogenesII on 05/03/2022 19:13:19

DC31k05/03/2022 19:36:30
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by DiogenesII on 05/03/2022 19:12:10:

...I think some of the numbers might also refer to insert dimension, tip radius and ?maybe ?grade? or could be another attribute?

Thanks for the clarification. I must apologise for the vagueness of my post. The numbers to which I was referrring are the ones in the original post, that are printed on the holder/cutter body.

It would be good if someone could unearth a Collosus to crack the Sandvik Enigma.

Tony Pratt 105/03/2022 19:39:53
2319 forum posts
13 photos

When I worked for a living I absolutely hated the Sandvik website, so hard to find anything I wanted.

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate