looking for advice on a warco 16b on how good are they to machine on

Dave Halford19/12/2021 18:23:33
2536 forum posts
24 photos

there's stuff on U tube

Jim Nic19/12/2021 18:43:09
406 forum posts
235 photos

Depends on the age and condition of the mill and how good you are really. A good machinist will probably get a fair result on anything, a poor machinist may blame his shortcomings on the equipment.wink 2

Jim

DiogenesII19/12/2021 18:49:26
859 forum posts
268 photos

Hi Stuart,

There are a few threads to be found if you put 'WM16b' into the search box top right - you'll probably find more if you do a 'proper' internet search for 'modelengineer WM16b'

After a quick glance I'd say people who have them seem to like them, and there seem to be quite a few recommendations and not too many problems.

What sort of work do want to do with it?

Edited By DiogenesII on 19/12/2021 18:49:59

Clive Brown 119/12/2021 19:08:38
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I bought a W16B a couple of years ago. For the price it's a decent machine, basically well finished, convenient to operate and I'm pleased with it.

It is definitely a "hobby" machine so relatively light in build, but with a good work envelope and versatile, with a good speed range. I've not found it lacking in power for the model making that I use it for. It's also fairly quiet.The quill travel of 55mm might be found small if much drilling is undertaken.

The spindle is 3MT but the captive drawbar means that releasing the taper does not require thumps from a hammer.

Mike Hurley20/12/2021 10:30:52
530 forum posts
89 photos

Lots of related info in this forum, but without knowing the type of work you are thinking of doing it's impossible to give useful guidance.

Some peoples expectations of these 'hobby' standard machines is far too high and they end up dissapointed with the capability. so

- types of items to be worked on generally ?

- materials (e.g. mainly steel or non-ferrous) ?

- Size and 'duty' e.g. just the occasional repair job on small machine parts or lots of continous use on very big bits (definately a no-no) ?

Bo'sun20/12/2021 11:03:29
754 forum posts
2 photos

Good morning Stuart,

I have just taken delivery of a new WM16B and wish to fit a DRO. However, the base is a square shape rather than the tapered shape of Warco's other similar machines. Although Warco's website offers the WM16B with a DRO, their guide to fitting a DRO only shows the Y axis encoder on a tapered base. I'm waiting a reply from Warco about the Y axis DRO on a WM16B.

Hope this makes sense.

John Dean 220/12/2021 15:15:18
20 forum posts
5 photos

Photo of dro on y axis on y WM16B fitted by Warco. Hope it helps.ea54d793-1d09-4860-b98f-a33fb2723eca.jpeg

Bo'sun20/12/2021 15:45:54
754 forum posts
2 photos

Thank you JD2.

Roger Best30/12/2021 17:36:31
406 forum posts
56 photos

Captive drawbar?? I need to read the instructions. blush

I love my 16B, its quiet and powerful for small stuff, with just enough space for some larger items when required.

All axis are easy to crank, even when machining.

I have a Warco-fitted DRO too. They use their branded scales which are small and fit in very well. Warco don't fit them with the protective cover as the seals face down, and the Y scale hits the wall behind the machine as fitted, so I hope to make some small improvements just because I can. I bullied Warco into sending me the covers as shown in the webpage.

The drill chuck is pants as is the safety cover. Both need replacing with something better. Not a big deal, I think the safety cover is expected to be thrown away and people prefer keyless chucks.

Ade has loads of experience and has posted hours of stuff on YouTube using this machine.

https://youtu.be/0wSbjLyvvXI

Roger Best11/03/2022 21:08:01
406 forum posts
56 photos

I've been using the mill a bit and the captive drawbar is very useful, its great if you just use M12 tooling and don't have to change to the imperial drawbar, (or vis versa).

I have found a 13mm keyless chuck is a bit long, I would advise a smaller size if you can get one. And a low-profile vice is good too. It only matters with large, long drills. A milling cutter collet is so much shorter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate